Almy

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2011
Maritime Provinces
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Other
After several tries, I received permission to hunt the lot of a Loyalist or just post-Loyalist (1790s) house slated for demolition. I found that most of the yard was relatively new fill, probably from a basement improvement. But there was one place with old soil and a few brick and pottery pieces. I found part of an oil lamp (probably from the late 1800s) and a button from the same era there. Then I found the pictured hinge. Imagine my surprise to see a date on it when I got it home and cleaned off! I have never seen such an ornate hinge nor a dated one. The date is well done, as if it was a regular thing. Anyone seen anything similar?

Attachments

• IMG_5227.JPG
    IMG_5227.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 118
  • IMG_5225.jpg
    IMG_5225.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 86
Upvote 6

OWK

Apr 26, 2014
North Central Md
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, F75
Garrett Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stylistically, this piece looks like it is more Victorian than Colonial.

Perhaps the 1769 is a mold number?

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The number isn't a date it was made, it is a pattern number. Lack of corrosion seems to indicate it hasn't been in the ground too long.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it's Real Old Or not ( I agree its likely not a year stamp) ,I still like to find such undamaged pieces .

Maybe you can hit it again after the demo?

good luck ---Davers

OP
OP
Almy

Almy

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2011
Maritime Provinces
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Other

Thank you for the kind and informative comments. Style would seem to trump the number. The number is very well done, similar to a coin's number, so it must have been a regular part of the hinge-making. I wonder about the number - it must be a part number rather than a serial number but there could not be over 1000 different parts on a cabinet so perhaps it has some other meaning.

I am posting photos of the 2 steel screws found in the hinge. The hinge pin is also steel.

I am also posting an iron-backed, looped button and a piece of what appears to be an oil lamp found in proximity to the hinge. Dietz was a lamp-making company in the US for many years but this one says Toronto, so it may be an ancillary factory. I am guessing that these artifacts are late 19th century.

Attachments

• IMG_5234.JPG
    IMG_5234.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 55
  • IMG_5231.JPG
    IMG_5231.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 54
  • IMG_5233.JPG
    IMG_5233.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 50

CRUSADER

Gold Member