The LAST hole in the trenches saved my day. Carved .69 and other relics.

parsonwalker

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2013
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Modified GI Mine Detector (In the 60s)
Metrotech (In the 70s)
Tesoro Tejon (Now!)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It was a S-L-O-W day in the Virginia trenches. Weather was cool and nice, but the underbrush was thick, the ground dry and hard and relics few and far between. We went back to the spot where my buddy found the full Confederate Cartridge box, but had only turned up a few bullets and percussion caps. Heading back to the truck, we had 10 minutes as the landowner wanted to do some groundhog hunting and asked us to be gone by 3:00. Both of us had "maybe" signals on top of the trench about 15 feet apart and we started digging. These were just shadows of signals. Ghosts at best. Ya'll know what I'm talking about, but we dug 'em anyway. I pulled out a large-ish iron buckle, but was surprised that my Tejon had picked it up this deep (About 14") But then I scanned the dirt pile and found a small cartridge box buckle. Another scan and the other cartridge box buckle turned up. Several more passes on the dirt pile yielded three percussion caps. Stuck the detector in the hole and was getting another signal. Pulled out a dropped three ringer. So, one hole yielded 3 iron buckles, 3 caps and a 3-ringer.

While I'm doing this, 15 feet away my buddy dug one hole and found 3 bullets, a large iron buckle and about 5 percussion caps. We had done almost as good in 8 minutes as the whole rest of the day!

I think the moral of this story is . . . the stuff is still down there, it's just DEEP.

In the pic below, the stuff in the foreground with the three buckles is my take. The stuff behind is my buddy's.

IMG_4747.JPG

Digging buddy had the find of the day with this lightly carved .69 caliber. It looks pulled, but it's not. The hole is smooth as silk.

IMG_4748.JPG IMG_4749.JPG

Upvote 6

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
really awesome cw finds

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
good saves!The less experienced hunter would probably have walked right over most of them.I Like the carved bullet.I have always thought that soldiers art was neat.Not something to find all the time and is a treat when they pop up.It does seems like sometimes that is the only way to really hunt a place like that' is to go slow and listen for those deep sounds.I also get excited on places like that if I start finding "old" shotgun brass,or old shell's that have never been unearthed,because to me that is a good indicator that their still might be a button or anything left there.gl on your hunts:icon_thumleft:

diggervet

Dec 3, 2006
Mechanicsville, Va.
Detector(s) used
Deus XP/Nautilus 2B
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
These days the briefest little bleep or blip has to be paid attention to. I've found a few very nice things by pursuing some of the tiniest chirps. Great saves!

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice digs . Thanks for the pics

roaddust66

Sep 22, 2013
Chattanooga Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Impact , Tejon . Fisher F75, Vaquero, uMaxSilver, Cibola , Delta 4000, F2, Ace350 , original Bandido
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
When i was young and dumb , I would push a rotor tiller a half a mile to get down into some trenches in my home town. Yes it works !

flatbutton

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2013
Eastern N.C.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Tesoro Sand Shark,Nautilus DMC 1, Garrett Grand Master Hunter,Garrett Master Hunter 5 , Whites Coinmaster 5000/D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome stuff! CW finds are fast becoming scarce in my neck of the woods. Congrats!

CSA2K

Jan 24, 2012
Winchester VA
Detector(s) used
This Minelab and this Pro-Pointer.. and that's all I need
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
@wesome!!!!

OP
OP
parsonwalker

parsonwalker

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2013
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Metrotech (In the 70s)
Tesoro Tejon (Now!)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
These days the briefest little bleep or blip has to be paid attention to. I've found a few very nice things by pursuing some of the tiniest chirps. Great saves!

Thanks. Liked that Hodgkiss cup and sabot you posted recently!

OP
OP
parsonwalker

parsonwalker

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2013
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Metrotech (In the 70s)
Tesoro Tejon (Now!)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sorry VOL - just saw your question. No, the hole is shallow but no threads so it's not from a bullet puller. It's very smooth-walled and "too perfect" to not be carved in my opinion.

tyrocksalot

Aug 7, 2014
jefferson city,mo
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Those last ten minutes of desperation digging paid off, just goes to show sometimes you gotta dig those questionable signals. Just to get an idea of the area. Great saves. HH.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread