Early 1800s Home Site . . . Um . . . yeah.

parsonwalker

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2013
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Modified GI Mine Detector (In the 60s)
Metrotech (In the 70s)
Tesoro Tejon (Now!)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Early 1800's Home Site . . . Um . . . yeah.

I had an opportunity to hunt a home site where the house was built about 1810. You people who faithfully hunt home sites now have my greatest and most utmost RESPECT. I found more nails and pieces of tin roof and JUNK than the United States is dollars in debt. NOTHING worth keeping. I salute you guys that can pull ANYTHING sweet out of a place like this!!

IMG_4742.JPG IMG_4743.JPG

Upvote 5

SCDigginWithAK

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Pro Pointer, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Keep hunting that!!! Looks like a dream

CoinHunterAZ

Feb 18, 2013
Flagstaff, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sidewinder Umax, Garrett ATPro, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go back and look under the big trees....along walkways, pathways, etc. You may only find frustration trying to detect in the demo'd ruins themselves.

mariposagold

Bronze Member
May 1, 2012
Mariposa, California. USA
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro, Classic SL, Bullseye II Probe, Garrett Groundhog.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm betting that if you keep hunting it, you will make finds that will knock your socks off.

HH
MariposaGold

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the old house sites where people haven't lived for at "least" the last hundred years or longer.The longer the better, as far as trash goes.I have found some foundations that looked promising until you start digging and realize that people used it for a trash dump in the past.That is always a dissapointment,in that situation I usually try to get away from the bulk of the trash,not everything was lost in the yard.Man that does look like a nice place!

terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It sure looks like a dream site, a large and well-built home. Hopefully it is a virgin site. If you have the patience to start clearing out the junk, I believe you'll be rewarded. I've hunted sites like that that have taken two or three site visits before I recovered anything interesting.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It sure looks like a dream site, a large and well-built home. Hopefully it is a virgin site. If you have the patience to start clearing out the junk, I believe you'll be rewarded. I've hunted sites like that that have taken two or three site visits before I recovered anything interesting.

yea, keep at it, there HAS to be something there, show us a goody soon, we are rooting for you!!

OWK

Apr 26, 2014
North Central Md
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, F75
Garrett Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are searching in, or immediately next to the house ruin, you are doin it wrong. :laughing7:

(try searching the front lawn, and the path to the front of the house, followed by the drive to the house, the side yards, and finally the back).

Chances are better than average that the house burned. The inside of the ruin, and the immediate surroundings will therefore be littered with everything that held the house together. That's generally lots of iron.

Turn off your discriminator, and start at the walls of the house, walk out swinging until the number of iron hits drops off to a comfortable level. Then hunt at that perimeter with the disc back on. You'll find some things worth keeping. Guaranteed. Even if the place is "hunted out".

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sometimes the iron from decaying roofing is overwhelming , I'm not sure there's a detector made that can see through it or
notch it out when it's that heavy - I use an MXT and an elliptical coil (6x9") for trash separation - and in one Colorado mining
town last summer my detector was overloading on iron on nearly every swing around some very juicy looking old buildings .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread