What is harder diamonds or nickel? My first gold from the lake!

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Long day, left the house at 8:30 am, drove hour and a half to Princeton NJ, knocked on a door and got shot down. George knocks and they say they were waiting for someone to metal detect, haaaaa lol. I seen a creek that was calling my name, so being Marine Boy I waded in. The place was beautiful, I'd love to put pix in but I want to return there and do it better. I found garbage and trash, sinkers, and fishing lures. left there and made it to my lake at 3:30 pm and hunted under the pier again. I think the earring is gold, there is marks on the little wire dohicky that goes through the ear, looks like it says 14 something. I'll have to get my son to look later. The bling belly button ball with all the stones is probably fake, one of the tiny stones fell out and I was looking at it with a loop, very pretty, I then put it between two nickels and squeezed it together. It shattered. What is stronger, little stones/diamonds, or nickel?

Enjoy the pix
HH & GL
Brad

Upvote 7

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
great_find.gif
Anything you find is always a good find regardless of it value! Thanks for sharing...

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The straight up answer to your question is diamond is harder than nickel - not even close ! Diamond can fracture along certain
cleavage planes , but to my knowledge diamonds are the hardest known substance on earth .

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Diamonds are the hardest...

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Keep in mind, the "hardness" of diamonds is in their abrasion resistance. They are NOT "tough". They can be broken with a moderate hammer blow, or in a pair of pliers.
Jim

OP
OP
treblehunter

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep in mind, the "hardness" of diamonds is in their abrasion resistance. They are NOT "tough". They can be broken with a moderate hammer blow, or in a pair of pliers.
Jim

If they check out to be diamonds then I'm very strong,I am strong maybe using my hands metal detecting made my hands super strong!

Haaaaaa

Backstrap80

May 11, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That earring looks like a pair I bought the wife, hollow, stamped on the wire and should weigh .5G as the pair was 1G. nice pile of finds, looks fun.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
again with the good stuff, a little of everything... the lakes love you

thommo59

Mar 6, 2014
Australia
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Garrett AT PRO
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice mixed bag there

OP
OP
treblehunter

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That earring looks like a pair I bought the wife, hollow, stamped on the wire and should weigh .5G as the pair was 1G. nice pile of finds, looks fun.
When I looked it over with my loops I could see a mark on the wire, that looks like a 14 and something else, very hard to see. I might go bother my jeweler, might wait a couple of days, I feel lucky!

Thank you everyone, I can't wait to see what my jeweler says about the hardness of diamonds.

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hunts with quality finds like those will eventually pay off big time! :occasion14:

Nice haul!

Dave

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Have you tried using a picture of Vino when you ask permission? I am considering asking Cjon for one of him, lol! Looks like it worked out OK anyway, Treb. Those sites that I'd bet my last dollar on just don't produce for me like I knew they would anyway. Hope the ear ring turns out to be gold for you.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your gold!!! WTG!!! The earring is probably gold they usually don't bother stamping the wire, which takes the Hubble telescope to read if it's not.
Nice bracelet it too looks like it has GP.

You need to get a diamond tester, you don't want to be crushing them up if they are real!

Nice haul!

OP
OP
treblehunter

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your gold!!! WTG!!! The earring is probably gold they usually don't bother stamping the wire, which takes the Hubble telescope to read if it's not.
Nice bracelet it too looks like it has GP.

You need to get a diamond tester, you don't want to be crushing them up if they are real!

Nice haul!

Ha, yeah, they call me crusher around these here parts!

Thanks

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice finds my man. You are a hunting machine! GL&HH.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread