🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
found this old swim suit buckle the other day

most of the old brass suit buckles I find are plain - this one is a Wikies
found this one on ebay
Vintage 1930's Gantner Wikies Surfer Men Belt Buckle Swim Trunks Wool Suits | eBay

know mine is not as clean - but it would clean up - and Im sure it would have some value
was shocked to see value
I have a case with about 50 old brass ones - I know I have a few other Wilkies in there too - will have to check out them too
got to wonder how many people probably would throw this in the trash or in their brass scrap bucket
for newbies or others that just don't know - they stopped making brass buckles for suits when WW II
broke out - you find these old brass bathing suit buckles and your in a pre 40s area probably and you got chance to find old silver and old gold there- I got both at this spot in the past

Upvote 11

Greylock

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2012
Western MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find Casper. We should get together for a water hunt soon.

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Surfin' Safari find there Casper !!

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
great_find.gif
Nice find! Thanks for sharing...

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
found this old swim suit buckle the other day

most of the old brass suit buckles I find are plain - this one is a Wikies
found this one on ebay
Vintage 1930's Gantner Wikies Surfer Men Belt Buckle Swim Trunks Wool Suits | eBay

know mine is not as clean - but it would clean up - and Im sure it would have some value
was shocked to see value
I have a case with about 50 old brass ones - I know I have a few other Wilkies in there too - will have to check out them too
got to wonder how many people probably would throw this in the trash or in their brass scrap bucket
for newbies or others that just don't know - they stopped making brass buckles for suits when WW II
broke out - you find these old brass bathing suit buckles and your in a pre 40s area probably and you got chance to find old silver and old gold there- I got both at this spot in the past
Congrats.

I found one of those at an old beach last week. It never dawned on me that it was a swim suit buckle until I saw your thread. Now I have no doubt. It also never dawned on me that it may be worth anything. And as you pointed out, I also found old pre WWII silver (coins) and some more modern gold& silver.

Mine has a sailboat in the center and an anchor in each corner.

I couldn't find much online about it but when I go home tonight I'll take a much closer look after reading this. I'm sure glad I kept it.

This is yet another thing I love about this site. Reading your post allowed me to really see what I had already looked at yet didn't really "see".

Thanks and HH

Last edited:

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
wow, those are very interesting

alwayssearching

May 2, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As we all take a second look at our buckle collections... Thanks for sharing...

DonDigger

Jan 11, 2013
Galveston Bay Area
Detector(s) used
Teknetics, Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Ebay example has a high starting bid, but no bids. You need to search for closed postings to see what was paid for similar items. A lot of Ebay sellers will set a high starting bid to just "test" the items value. If no bids they repost and drop the starting bid until they find what someone will actually pay. Nice find, haven't seen one of those in years.

OP
OP
CASPER-2

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Ebay example has a high starting bid, but no bids. You need to search for closed postings to see what was paid for similar items. A lot of Ebay sellers will set a high starting bid to just "test" the items value. If no bids they repost and drop the starting bid until they find what someone will actually pay. Nice find, haven't seen one of those in years.
IM NOT A SELLER - I LIKE TO DISPLAY MY FINDS - IT IS JUST INTERSTING TO SEE THAT IT HAS A VALUE - EVEN IF ITS $5
MOST GUYS I KNOW ARE IN THE HOBBY FOR THE GOLD AND AN ITEM LIKE THIS WOULD GO IN THE TRASH OR INTO A SCRAP BUCKET
JUST MAKING PEOPLE AWARE - MAKE SURE ITS TRASH BEFORE YOU TRASH IT
I KNOW A GUY THAT THREW A GW BUTTON AWAY - FOUND IT IN THE LATE 70S WHEN NOBODY KNEW WHAT THEY WERE
A YEAR LATER SOMEONE BROUGHT ONE TO A CLUB AND HE SAID "HEY ...I FOUND ONE LIKE THAT" "WHAT DID YOU DO WITH IT?"
"I THREW IT INTO THE BUSHES" - HE WENT BACK TO SPOT AND IT WAS A PARKING LOT

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread