Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went hunting with treblehunter today.And had not so great hunt this morning. .He did find something cool.Ill let him post..Anyway after he left. I went down the road and seen this really old house (1760) the lady told me after I knocked. ..Anyway I went through me speach and told her I would share ans show hee what I find and she told me go for it but don't bother showing her because she is going to take a nap...lol..I said thanks and went on my way...15 min later I got this big signal was not going to dig but figured what the hell you just never no...Glad I did...About 1 inches down I see this sword handle. ..Was scared to pull it out..I had to stand up and pull amd out pops the hole sword. ..Felt like Excalibur! !!!!
Any help on idea would be great...I think its military. ...Lot of revolutionary going on in the area. ...

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20140801_153743.png
    ForumRunner_20140801_153743.png
    195.7 KB · Views: 529
  • ForumRunner_20140801_153757.png
    ForumRunner_20140801_153757.png
    213.3 KB · Views: 475
Upvote 28

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Banner find

banner ? really? at this point it is only a rusty sword. it may be from the sixties! (19)
let us wait for some date evidence

OP
OP
Vino

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dang George, you are on a roll! What's next, a Knight in Shining Armor?:tongue3: Cool find and I hope it turns out to be very rare!

Frank

Thanks Frank...

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am thinking banner if it is CW, nothing more than simply because of the condition. Here is a picture of a much newer sword that I found. It isn't anywhere close to being pristine like that one:

IMG_20140225_140355_497.jpg

niffler

Mar 19, 2008
Coos Bay, Oregon
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, DFX, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Killer B Hornets, Stealth 720i scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like the artillery style short swords, I agree, but how to tell how old it is?

TrpnBils

Jan 2, 2005
Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My wife and I were watching Troy last night and got on the subject of how cool it would be to find a sword while MDing...lol. Nice!

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
banner ? really? at this point it is only a rusty sword. it may be from the sixties! (19)
let us wait for some date evidence
Looks like you might have lost it Jeff, it's not in your avatar pic!

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First I don't know a thing about it, so will wait to see what it is for sure.

I will say that myself, and no doubt many a digger would pass on the BIG signal, and sadly that is why many of us just won't find such a cool item. It definitely has the cool factor, I may have to start digging some more looong signals because I'd like to have something like that for sure. I'll be watching this thread for a pos. ID.

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's not a US Model of 1832 Artillery Sword.... The blade is too narrow and the grip isn't right.... I looked at it on the What Is It forum and it's got me wondering too.... Can you find ANY traces of stamping at the base of the blade, or any marks on the grip?

OP
OP
Vino

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First I don't know a thing about it, so will wait to see what it is for sure.

I will say that myself, and no doubt many a digger would pass on the BIG signal, and sadly that is why many of us just won't find such a cool item. It definitely has the cool factor, I may have to start digging some more looong signals because I'd like to have something like that for sure. I'll be watching this thread for a pos. ID.

I pass up alot of big signals also...It was so deep it came up like a silver thats why I dug it....

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
It's not a US Model of 1832 Artillery Sword.... The blade is too narrow and the grip isn't right.... I looked at it on the What Is It forum and it's got me wondering too.... Can you find ANY traces of stamping at the base of the blade, or any marks on the grip?

I looked at quite a few pics and none matched up.Hope it isnt a repo that some kid left laying around after playing with it.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I have been researching the sword and so far can't find one to match. I am of the belief that it dates to the War of 1812 or even the Revolutionary War and may be of European production. I found a few Revolutionary War era swords that were kind of close but no matches. I will keep looking but it is my hopes that someone with the knowledge and reference books will finally come in and identify it.

Frank

OP
OP
Vino

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I will recheck tomorrow. ..At first glance I didn't see any....The only thing im sure of it heavy!!!!

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Are there any hallmarks at the base of the blade?

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That thing is awesome, no matter era, as deep as it was it's gotta have some great history

OP
OP
Vino

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That thing is awesome, no matter era, as deep as it was it's gotta have some great history

Thanks Chris. .I like it...If it is old or military that would be icing on the cake.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Can't believe I missed this post before. What an awesome find. I hope for your sake it is ID'ed as an older weapon. I never dig those big targets either. Wonder what I have missed now:BangHead:

OP
OP
Vino

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, it's got me officially stumped for now.... The closest I found was a French sword, but still not a match.

Thanks for trying Ken...

RelicDude

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2012
north west connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Absolutely amazing find! In my opinion if turns out to be old and surviving its long dirt nap in that shape it deserves to be on the banner. I can't wait to see an I'd.

Sent from my iPod touch using TreasureNet

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread