Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1700's site gives up old button

Long story short, hunted with Vino on a very historic site, not allot of targets for what we are used to. It was where George found all those George II coins few days back. I drove 2 hrs one way, we hunted about three hrs. According to George and his friend that hunted with us, I found a 1600's button. In the pix , it is with a couple other widjits. Any ID help on any of the three finds would be greatly appreciated. The one in the middle we think is a electric modern dohicky.
Enjoy the pix, there is a dime for reference scale, HH & GL
Brad

Attachments

• SAM_0680.JPG
    SAM_0680.JPG
    396.1 KB · Views: 74
  • SAM_0681.JPG
    SAM_0681.JPG
    371.1 KB · Views: 82
  • SAM_0682.JPG
    SAM_0682.JPG
    339.2 KB · Views: 71
  • SAM_0683.JPG
    SAM_0683.JPG
    341.1 KB · Views: 71
Upvote 6

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a nice button, sorry can't help with the other items though
Funny how far we are willing to drive to find the goods huh

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
ah, the mysteries of what have I dug up? still cool and nice button

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don't you just love finding something so old and unusual you don't know what it is but you know it's something alright! LOL Very nice finds.

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The button is a "spun" (lathe-turned) cast "White-Tombac" (a silver-ish looking alloy of high-copper-content brass with a small percentage of arsenic) button, manufactured in Britain from the mid-1700s into the very-early 1800s.

Attachments

• buttons_types-of-1-piece_chart.jpg
    buttons_types-of-1-piece_chart.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very cool button. I'd call that a good hunt. But what do I know....I work cause I don't know how to metal detect, lol!

OP
OP
treblehunter

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a nice button, sorry can't help with the other items though
Funny how far we are willing to drive to find the goods huh
Yes it is, thanks.

ah, the mysteries of what have I dug up? still cool and nice button
Thanks

Don't you just love finding something so old and unusual you don't know what it is but you know it's something alright! LOL Very nice finds.
Thanks

The button is a "spun" (lathe-turned) cast "White-Tombac" (a silver-ish looking alloy of high-copper-content brass with a small percentage of arsenic) button, manufactured in Britain from the mid-1700s into the very-early 1800s.
Thank you sir, for the ID, It rang up deep (8") with a whisper of a high tone two ways. I love the buttons, that was what hooked me, finding a "Treble Gilt Stand d Colour" flat button in a south south South Jersey cornfield when I got started in this hobby. I could not believe I was standing where some guy had traded his button to a Lenape Indian.

Very cool button. I'd call that a good hunt. But what do I know....I work cause I don't know how to metal detect, lol!
Haaaaa, I like you, always with a great sense of humor, its a shame you got it all twisted in that crazy head of yours. I really wish you were coming down Sunday, maybe some other day?

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
1700's site gives up old button

"Haaaaa, I like you, always with a great sense of humor, its a shame you got it all twisted in that crazy head of yours. I really wish you were coming down Sunday, maybe some other day?"Quote

I really wish I was coming down Sunday too. I promise next time if I am off too, I will be there. I hope you, Vino, Cjon and everyone else all get your oldest coin and coolest relic on Sunday. Being invited is a great thing in itself.

Last edited:

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
"Thank you sir, for the ID, It rang up deep (8") with a whisper of a high tone two ways. I love the buttons, that was what hooked me, finding a "Treble Gilt Stand d Colour" flat button in a south south South Jersey cornfield when I got started in this hobby. I could not believe I was standing where some guy had traded his button to a Lenape Indian."Quote

The cornfields where most all of my big coppers were found was in the same area as a Lenape site was found. As a matter of fact, I read they claim the area and the area directly across the river because of burial sites found there. For this reason, the old white round balls I have found there also are just about my favorite finds from the sites.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread