Upper Canada ๐Ÿ‡จ๐Ÿ‡ฆ
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Round IV at the 'Nature Park'

Got back today for a 4hr hunt and finally something other than buckles, but I did find more of those too! :laughing7: I feel that I've literally barely scratched the surface here. I've been concentrating on the 'high ground' areas first and there must be at least 10 more high spots I need to investigate before I start detecting the hills, as yet still no coins dating earlier than 1960. I'm thinking the areas I've hit so far must've been a livestock paddock or barn area, as today I found part of a gate hinge and a few more square nails. My first find of the day was the small brooch, it's either made of spelter or lead and likely dates to the 1950's or maybe even earlier. :icon_scratch: I found another 'Heart Buckle Shield' today, this one is larger then the one I found earlier in the week. I also found an interesting copper or brass tag, I didn't think much of it when it came up, but later at home I cleaned it up and found it had writing on it! :o it says, " T.H.P. Oshawa / No. 131 / 1918. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find out what T.H.P. stands for ... Oshawa is the city I live in. I also found part of a horseshoe, although I'm having trouble identifying what type of metal its made from? :dontknow:

I'll be back here again on Sunday morning and will post anything of interest! :thumbsup:

I want to sincerely thank everyone for your interest,
Dave

Attachments

• SDC18925.JPG
    SDC18925.JPG
    94 KB · Views: 113
  • SDC18927.JPG
    SDC18927.JPG
    91 KB · Views: 103
  • SDC18929.JPG
    SDC18929.JPG
    81.3 KB · Views: 91
  • SDC18928.JPG
    SDC18928.JPG
    84 KB · Views: 96
  • SDC18936.JPG
    SDC18936.JPG
    79.9 KB · Views: 88
  • SDC18946.JPG
    SDC18946.JPG
    48.9 KB · Views: 120
  • SDC18948.JPG
    SDC18948.JPG
    50.7 KB · Views: 123
  • SDC18949.JPG
    SDC18949.JPG
    54.6 KB · Views: 123
  • SDC18950.JPG
    SDC18950.JPG
    51.6 KB · Views: 101
  • SDC18935.JPG
    SDC18935.JPG
    88.3 KB · Views: 97
  • SDC18945.JPG
    SDC18945.JPG
    47 KB · Views: 88
  • SDC18951.JPG
    SDC18951.JPG
    56.2 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
Upvote 6

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
looks like you are finding some cool stuff at this place

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool finds, I'd sift that dirt where you found that brooch, could be the real thing, was it deep? It looks old.

OP
OP
ANTIQUARIAN

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada ๐Ÿ‡จ๐Ÿ‡ฆ
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice finds! Thanks for sharing...

Thank you Sir! :icon_salut:

Cool finds, I'd sift that dirt where you found that brooch, could be the real thing, was it deep? It looks old.

Thanks for your input Brad! :thumbsup:
I had a similar thought, but no stones came out of the hole when I dug it. I too feel the brooch has some age though I'm not a jewelry expert and I'm only guessing when I say it's from the 1950's.
In all honesty it looks to be more from the early 1900's, sure wish it had been made of a precious metal though. :-\

Best of luck to you at your 'swimming hole' hunt,
Dave

OP
OP
ANTIQUARIAN

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada ๐Ÿ‡จ๐Ÿ‡ฆ
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Before & After Pics of 'Tumbled' Relics from this Week

Just wanted you all to see a 'before & after' tumbling pic of some of my finds from this week.
I put this lot in my tumbler last night, washed the mix this morning after 12 hrs and will post another pic tonight of the 'cleaned relics' after 24hrs of tumbling! :thumbsup:

Dave

Attachments

• SDC18955.JPG
    SDC18955.JPG
    53.4 KB · Views: 64
  • SDC18991.JPG
    SDC18991.JPG
    54 KB · Views: 54
  • SDC18948.JPG
    SDC18948.JPG
    50.7 KB · Views: 75
  • SDC18993.JPG
    SDC18993.JPG
    64.5 KB · Views: 61
  • SDC18996.JPG
    SDC18996.JPG
    64.8 KB · Views: 77
  • SDC18990.JPG
    SDC18990.JPG
    58 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With all the buckles found out there , I keep wondering what was going on back in the 1920's - 40's some sort of regional rodeos
or riding camps or something - what do you know about the history of this "Nature Park" ? Surely with the sort of rowdy
activity contributing to all those buckles being lost there would be lot's of coins spilled here and there . Even if it's been detected
heavily by coin shooters , would they have left those targets behind - I know from my experience , that many of those buckles
were putting up quarter or half dollar signals , perhaps dollar signals - so this is a bit of a mystery .

(Just looking at your "brooch" and it's got buckle hardware on the back - not brooch findings - yet another buckle )
I re read some of your earlier posts about this property having been a farm , and saw the info on "buckle shields"
good research for sure .

Last edited:

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Interesting finds there, keep at it !

OP
OP
ANTIQUARIAN

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada ๐Ÿ‡จ๐Ÿ‡ฆ
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
With all the buckles found out there , I keep wondering what was going on back in the 1920's - 40's some sort of regional rodeos
or riding camps or something - what do you know about the history of this "Nature Park" ? Surely with the sort of rowdy
activity contributing to all those buckles being lost there would be lot's of coins spilled here and there . Even if it's been detected
heavily by coin shooters , would they have left those targets behind - I know from my experience , that many of those buckles
were putting up quarter or half dollar signals , perhaps dollar signals - so this is a bit of a mystery .

(Just looking at your "brooch" and it's got buckle hardware on the back - not brooch findings - yet another buckle )
I re read some of your earlier posts about this property having been a farm , and saw the info on "buckle shields"
good research for sure .

Thanks for your post Arg! :thumbsup:
This is one of the things that mystifies me as well, if it had been hit before these buckles certainly wouldn't have been left behind. Although most are deep in the 6" - 8" range and are a bit tough to pinpoint at that depth. This is why I think this must have been a stable / barn area, even though the ground is pleasantly free of the type of trash that would commonly be associated with a barn area. I know when most guys detect they're listening for the 'high tones' associated with coins. Whereas when I detect I'm listening for a range of tones on my AT Pro that tells me there's an object of mixed metals in the ground, so I dig them all just to satisfy my curiosity. :laughing7:

You're right about the 'brooch' and it actually being a small buckle, though it seems awfully small ... but you're correct all the same!

Thanks again buddy,
Dave

Interesting finds there, keep at it !
Thanks very much CRM!:occasion14:
Dave

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions