Treasure Hoard Found! Gold, Silver, Bullion!

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DSC02834.JPG

Another garbage dump has released its treasure to me, (bare in mind it took me several smelly hours of rummaging to amass all of this treasure into one place). Everything you see below was the result of painstaking sorting of garbage from over 15 bags of junk and filth. Was it worth it? Heck yea!

First treasure I pulled out (and by far one of my favorite pieces from the hoard) is the 1991 1oz Silver Eagle bullion coin (complete with protective plastic case and a holder)! At first I didn't expect to find anything in the case (as I had found a few empty cases already) but when I picked it up it rattled in my hand, I didn't think much of it - I thought it would contain a cheesy trinket. When I opened the case I was in shock for a good 5 minutes at least, it had always been my dream to find a bullion coin!

DSC028272.jpg
DSC028282.jpg
DSC028302.jpg

Second treasure I pulled out was the watch, I didn't think anything of the broken old watch at first but when I looked inside the gear mechanism I saw a golden thing sticking out, turned out to be a broken 14K gold ring! How did that happen!? Sometimes truth is stranger than fiction!

DSC028332.jpg DSC029352.jpg

Next I found a small plastic zip-lock bag and inside were old Chinese currency notes (10 Yuan notes from the 1940's and older 10 Dollar notes from the 1920's).

DSC028412.jpg DSC028402.jpg DSC028462.png DSC028473.jpg

There was also a bill I always dreamed of owning - a Hyperinflation banknote from 1920's Germany! This one was specifically from the early days of the German hyperinflation (September 15th 1922 "1,000 Mark" note).

DSC028352.jpg
DSC028362.jpg
DSC028372.jpg

So unlike later German hyperinflation notes this one is more detailed and has printing on both sides(Once the Germans got to printing 1,000,000 Mark notes there was only printing on one side, and it was pretty bland looking).

At the bottom of the bag were some coins: 2 Eisenhower dollars, a Sacagawea dollar, and two clad Kennedy half dollars. But there were also two silver coins too! A 40% silver 1968 Kennedy Half Dollar and a 50% Silver 1939 King George VI "Two Shilling" coin.

DSC02941.JPG
DSC02940.JPG

I later found a small sterling silver ring...

DSC02819.JPG

...and then a sterling silver pendant...

DSC02820.JPG

...at this point I thought I had found everything, so I packed up my stuff and headed home. Later while I was looking through a small package I had initially thought nothing of I found perhaps the most expensive item of the hoard - a 14K White-Gold Diamond Earring!

DSC03600.JPG
DSC03601.JPG
DSC02862.JPG

I looked up the company ("Fufoo") and discovered that the earring set retailed for over $250, but alas I only had found one of the pair, so I really have no idea of the value of the single earring, but according to the company each earring has .8 carat diamonds in it if that means anything in terms of value.

I also found an interesting 1980 Bear sticker, I think it's the Soviet Union's Olympic mascot.
DSC028312.png

That's all for now.

Attachments

• DSC02830.JPG
    DSC02830.JPG
    324.1 KB · Views: 200
  • DSC02827.JPG
    DSC02827.JPG
    319.3 KB · Views: 209
  • DSC02828.JPG
    DSC02828.JPG
    346.8 KB · Views: 192
  • DSC028472.png
    DSC028472.png
    447.3 KB · Views: 182
  • DSC02932.JPG
    DSC02932.JPG
    62.7 KB · Views: 205
  • DSC028382.jpg
    DSC028382.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 221
  • DSC028463.jpg
    DSC028463.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 172
Upvote 20

RelicDude

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2012
north west connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow it's amazing what people will throw away.

Sent from my iPod touch using TreasureNet

OP
OP
UnderMiner

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My bet is that there is probably more treasure in the landfills of the Earth than there is in the collections of all the treasure hunters alive. Just picture the vast fortunes that were indiscriminately thrown away over the centuries either by accident or purposefully by people who just didn't know the value of what they had. Just picture that 19th century wall safe, forgotten by time after its owner died, found 100 years later by a demolition crew who just toss it into a landfill never to know the breathtaking fortune of gold, diamonds, and bearer bonds that were sealed within.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Absolutely amazing that all this ended up in the rubbish ! Good for you - Very Nice Finds !!!

detroitdigger

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett gtax 1000,Garrett ace 250, Technetics delta
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Totally cool finds!!!!!!!!!

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
love to dumpster dive. I also have found some neat items over the yrs

OP
OP
UnderMiner

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Modell's Sporting Goods was my favorite dumpster diving experience when I was a teenager with my friend, we got all our stuff - clothes, shoes, roller blades, skate boards, baseball bats, basket balls, so much stuff that we sold the extra to our friends (we didn't tell them our secret of how we got them of coarse). 75% of the stuff was in perfect like-new condition - mostly floor models and returns (apparently the store couldn't re-sell certain things so they tossed them out instead), the other 25% of the stuff was damaged clothes and shoes - so I learned how to sew clothes and repair shoes. At one time I had a collection of over 100 pairs of shoes still new in their boxes and another collection of damaged shoes that I would repair and wear out. I wore a different pair of shoes to school every day and eventually my friends concluded that I either very rich or had connections to a shoe mafia who supplied me. That was 10 years ago. Unfortunately all good things come to an end. Nowadays the store no longer throws anything good away, apparently some idiot dumpster divers started trying to return the stuff they pulled from the dumpster back to the store for cash, the store got angry and so now they destroy all the stuff before they throw it in the dumpster (by ripping it up and spraying it with red paint). So sad, all that wasted stuff, a new generation of kids will now never know the secret treasure trove that once sat behind that store.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
...Look into that sticker...that might be $$$ as well

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
amazing what people will throw away :icon_scratch:

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice digging (even if it was through the trash)

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Holy S**t!!! AGAIN?? What kind of idiots throw this stuff away??

I really need to find some trash spots like you find. I'd rummage through pretty much anything for a haul like that.
Incredible.

OP
OP
UnderMiner

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I specifically look for trash sometimes if a building is being cleaned out or if there are renovations on a home (I live in NYC so this is going on all the time), they sometimes throw away the entire contents of the place without really looking through it. Bare in mind I only find "real treasure (like gold and silver)" on very rare occasions, but you can find nice things that aren't technically "treasures" like household items - pots, spoons, tools, furniture, etc. One time an arcade went out of business and they tossed out all their machines. I got a nice 1979 Gorgar pinball machine out of that. That's why I love this hobby, you never know what you're going to discover next - every day is an adventure! :tongue3:

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Where I am from, NYS, municipal waste facilities (dumps) are very well fenced in, and are strictly off limits to everyone. Nice work!.

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Where I am from, NYS, municipal waste facilities (dumps) are very well fenced in, and are strictly off limits to everyone. Nice work!.

Me too.

There are a few old dumps out in the woods in my area from the days when that's what people did. I remember going back and dumping stuff with my Dad and my friends dad's when I was a kid. It was an adventure and lots of fun. We would almost always find something that was cool to us.

My son and a friend were picking through one a few years back. They were only about 10 years old at the time. I didn't know that they were even aware of that location.

The friend found a really cool looking cane and brought it home. About two years later while moving it, it came apart in two pieces, revealing a hidden, engraved Nazi sword inside. Neither one of them could believe it.

You just never know. Also, I had no idea my son had wandered so far back in the woods at that age. I did the same thing all the time when I was a kid but kids don't do things like that so much these days.

Last edited:

doninbrewster

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2013
New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Now that's cool! One mans trash is another mans treasure. Glad to see you were rewarded for your efforts. I like it!

g-olden years

Silver Member
Nov 10, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Awesome! :occasion16::wav::occasion16: You're definitely a master of the hobby! :hello2: :headbang: :hello2:

Last time I dumpster-dived was 10 years ago in shopping centers for boxes when my sis & I were clearing out the home our mom & dad had lived in for 65 years. We'd bought some boxes, but those weeks of sorting our beloved parents' things had become depressing, so one day we went dumpster diving for more boxes -- both of us in our sixties, grey-haired & laughing! Must've looked hilarious to see one plump old lady (me) & one thin old lady (sis) flipping ourselves part-way over the edge of big dumpsters to pull out the good boxes, lol. :tongue3: Have Fun! Andi :cat:

PeteWmass

Nov 26, 2012
South Hadley
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I stop at every house clean-out dumpster I see - if its an older person who has passed away - there is nearly always something silver (and once in awhile gold) in there - you can usually tell at first glance if it will be good or not - house clean-out crews or disinterested relatives really go fast when trying to put a house on market - - of course - Im looking for weird stuff like old household products and food packaging (yup..) so the gold/silver/etc is just a bonus....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread