🥇 BANNER Civil War Bonanza...Sword, Bayonet, and MORE! Soldier initials engraved!

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The other day I shoved off on what would prove to be a very productive and physical three-day camping and digging trip. Covering 35+ miles of water ways my good pal Beau and I had a heck of a trip. We spent many weeks researching and then the day was here to make good on it. I won't give away Beau's finds, though they are comparable and in some regards he most likely made the find of the hunt - though we both did VERY well.

I had a slow day 1 with just a couple of bullets and the early oar lock/holder - and Beau did as well, though he made his best two finds of the hunt on that day. Day 2 was spent digging plenty of bullets, fired and drops, CS and US. My heart breaker was the post-war Virginia Cuff button...go figure and I wonder how it found its way out in the middle of nowhere. I did well with bullets and a few other odds and ends but still could not touch Beau's finds from Day1.

Day 3 was my day to shine and shine I did. My first target of the morning was the dropped and perfectly straight bayonet...it was truly a needle in the haystack as other than one flat button, that was the only relic to be dug at that particular site. A short time later at a different location, I reached under the bank and pulled out the complete basket to an 1840's Cavalry saber "Wrist-breaker," I had finally found a nice "take-home" relic for the trip. (all of my finds were fun, but after such a physical trip, one would want a killer find to take home). What made this find even better is that IT WAS MARKED WITH THE SOLDIERS INITIALS!!! Carved on the hilt was W. H. K. After research, it seems unlikely that I will find the owner as there are over 10 regiments each with multiple WHKs who were in the area of this sword...still a neat addition to it. A few feet later I dug what must have been a dumped CW era vest as in the clay were 6 beautifully preserved civil war vest sized eagle general service buttons.

After digging another bullet and a few flat buttons and 1800s pocket knife, we moved on to the final site of the trip. My first find of the trip was a partially melted bullet, causing me to slow down and be more methodical...my second was the US Breast Plate! This was truly the trifecta day, sword, bayonet, plate...what else could surface. Well while it might not stun some, it made me very happy. I ended up in a pocket of .69 buck & ball cartridges. What is unique is that while I found a total of 7 of these (6 complete with their buck balls), I recovered one that was entirely fused together and intact, the balls and .69 ball still together! This is a unique and cool find. My last find of the trip was the trigger mechanism for a civil war era enfield musket.

All in all I dug 40+ bullets, a handful of buttons, the basket, bayonet, and breast plate. We always have a great time and this will be one trip that will not be forgotten by either of us.

HH

Dan

Attachments

• 1a.JPG
    1a.JPG
    620.2 KB · Views: 539
  • 1b.JPG
    1b.JPG
    937 KB · Views: 506
  • P8050033.JPG
    P8050033.JPG
    81.4 KB · Views: 427
  • 1c.JPG
    1c.JPG
    432.3 KB · Views: 413
  • 1d.JPG
    1d.JPG
    708.1 KB · Views: 424
  • 1i.JPG
    1i.JPG
    360.8 KB · Views: 343
  • 1j.JPG
    1j.JPG
    549.4 KB · Views: 387
  • 1f.JPG
    1f.JPG
    747.2 KB · Views: 448
  • 1g.JPG
    1g.JPG
    603 KB · Views: 458
  • 1e.JPG
    1e.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 422
  • 1h.JPG
    1h.JPG
    310.1 KB · Views: 388
  • 1k.JPG
    1k.JPG
    475.9 KB · Views: 376
  • 1l.JPG
    1l.JPG
    439.4 KB · Views: 361
  • 1m.JPG
    1m.JPG
    401.7 KB · Views: 400
  • P8020013.JPG
    P8020013.JPG
    332.2 KB · Views: 614
Upvote 58

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Omg thats incredible! BANNER

OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Killer hunt Dan. The sword guard is an awesome piece, congrats!. Banner vote from me, swords are rarely dug. Is it possible the pocket knife is a straight razor with the opening mechanism gone? Great finds.
-Evan

Thanks Evan... well lets just say wait until you see what my buddy found...

I initially thought of a razor, but think it is a pocket knife...just early one.

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F-75 LTD2, CZ-70, CZ-21, 1280x, Vibraprobe 560, Minelab Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice work Dan! Sounds like a very fun three days of relaxation and digging. You pulled some great finds!

Steve

Army of 1

Jun 22, 2013
Dundee Northern Australia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro , Tesora Bandito 2 , Minelab GPX 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great recoveries guys , just love the CW era artefacts , congrats ..cheers Mick

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that was an epic hunt that's for sure. What a great assortment of finds that will display beautifully. The sword guard is stunning and with the personal touch, I can't emagine Beau doing any better then that. Congrats on a banner hunt.
ZDD

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I voted too.
As Ive yet to finf any kind of plate yet, you got a nice undamaged one, plus two other rare finds.
Great hunt.

Good Luck Out There.

OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that was an epic hunt that's for sure. What a great assortment of finds that will display beautifully. The sword guard is stunning and with the personal touch, I can't emagine Beau doing any better then that. Congrats on a banner hunt.
ZDD

ehhh.... he managed to out do me with one find... will wait for him to post his and then I will unveil it. We ended the hunt about event with keeper targets and actual finds. He did not get a plate, but he did get something special :)

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
hang in there fella, you can't expect to find aluminum cans every time!

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow...... sounds like one of those trips you will remember for the rest of your life. Great friends, great fun and great finds. Congrats

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
don't be discouraged that you only found old discarded lead and steel.
valuable aluminum takes time and patience

never said I was discouraged...guess I just missed your humor ha. Trust me I dig plenty of junk to get what I find.

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your research is nonpareil Dan. This is a no-brainer banner group of finds!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions