🥇 BANNER Civil War Bonanza...Sword, Bayonet, and MORE! Soldier initials engraved!

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The other day I shoved off on what would prove to be a very productive and physical three-day camping and digging trip. Covering 35+ miles of water ways my good pal Beau and I had a heck of a trip. We spent many weeks researching and then the day was here to make good on it. I won't give away Beau's finds, though they are comparable and in some regards he most likely made the find of the hunt - though we both did VERY well.

I had a slow day 1 with just a couple of bullets and the early oar lock/holder - and Beau did as well, though he made his best two finds of the hunt on that day. Day 2 was spent digging plenty of bullets, fired and drops, CS and US. My heart breaker was the post-war Virginia Cuff button...go figure and I wonder how it found its way out in the middle of nowhere. I did well with bullets and a few other odds and ends but still could not touch Beau's finds from Day1.

Day 3 was my day to shine and shine I did. My first target of the morning was the dropped and perfectly straight bayonet...it was truly a needle in the haystack as other than one flat button, that was the only relic to be dug at that particular site. A short time later at a different location, I reached under the bank and pulled out the complete basket to an 1840's Cavalry saber "Wrist-breaker," I had finally found a nice "take-home" relic for the trip. (all of my finds were fun, but after such a physical trip, one would want a killer find to take home). What made this find even better is that IT WAS MARKED WITH THE SOLDIERS INITIALS!!! Carved on the hilt was W. H. K. After research, it seems unlikely that I will find the owner as there are over 10 regiments each with multiple WHKs who were in the area of this sword...still a neat addition to it. A few feet later I dug what must have been a dumped CW era vest as in the clay were 6 beautifully preserved civil war vest sized eagle general service buttons.

After digging another bullet and a few flat buttons and 1800s pocket knife, we moved on to the final site of the trip. My first find of the trip was a partially melted bullet, causing me to slow down and be more methodical...my second was the US Breast Plate! This was truly the trifecta day, sword, bayonet, plate...what else could surface. Well while it might not stun some, it made me very happy. I ended up in a pocket of .69 buck & ball cartridges. What is unique is that while I found a total of 7 of these (6 complete with their buck balls), I recovered one that was entirely fused together and intact, the balls and .69 ball still together! This is a unique and cool find. My last find of the trip was the trigger mechanism for a civil war era enfield musket.

All in all I dug 40+ bullets, a handful of buttons, the basket, bayonet, and breast plate. We always have a great time and this will be one trip that will not be forgotten by either of us.

HH

Dan

Attachments

• 1a.JPG
    1a.JPG
    620.2 KB · Views: 539
  • 1b.JPG
    1b.JPG
    937 KB · Views: 506
  • P8050033.JPG
    P8050033.JPG
    81.4 KB · Views: 427
  • 1c.JPG
    1c.JPG
    432.3 KB · Views: 413
  • 1d.JPG
    1d.JPG
    708.1 KB · Views: 424
  • 1e.JPG
    1e.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 422
  • 1g.JPG
    1g.JPG
    603 KB · Views: 458
  • 1f.JPG
    1f.JPG
    747.2 KB · Views: 448
  • 1j.JPG
    1j.JPG
    549.4 KB · Views: 387
  • 1i.JPG
    1i.JPG
    360.8 KB · Views: 343
  • 1h.JPG
    1h.JPG
    310.1 KB · Views: 388
  • 1k.JPG
    1k.JPG
    475.9 KB · Views: 376
  • 1l.JPG
    1l.JPG
    439.4 KB · Views: 361
  • 1m.JPG
    1m.JPG
    401.7 KB · Views: 400
  • P8020013.JPG
    P8020013.JPG
    332.2 KB · Views: 614
Upvote 58

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice recoveries. Congratulations are in order

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

mirage83

Dec 20, 2009
NW Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, XLT
Damn. Awesome hunt, no other way to describe it. Make sure you put that bayonet, hilt, buttons and breastplate in a good display all to themselves. That's going to be a hunt to remember.

mindcrime1988

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2011
Southeast Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, XP Deus II, DetectorPro Headhunter, BlissTool & Pulsedive
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very nice. Just as you stated, it pays to be patient because the finds will come. I get discouraged from time to time myself but after finding some medieval silver when I was stationed in Germany, I use that as my motivation. Thanks again for sharing!

OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice. Just as you stated, it pays to be patient because the finds will come. I get discouraged from time to time myself but after finding some medieval silver when I was stationed in Germany, I use that as my motivation. Thanks again for sharing!

Now that is on my want list. We all run through crazy spells of hot and cold...keeping at it is what separates the dedicated from the part-timers

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds :notworthy: That is a day's detecting you won't forget in a very long time.:thumbsup:

SS

CSA2K

Jan 24, 2012
Winchester VA
Detector(s) used
This Minelab and this Pro-Pointer.. and that's all I need
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice trinkets

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW, missed this one - very good collection of military items !!!

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's MXT All Pro,White's MX Sport , White's XLT E-Series,White's eagle spectrum,White's Silver Eagle & White's 4000-D
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
AWESOME HUNT FELLA'S!!!!!!!!!!!!! I kinda miss the grizzly Adams look Beau had goin on there for a while.job well done!!!!!

70monte68

Aug 8, 2010
PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T2 SE
TEKNETICS T2 SE (back up)
MINELAB EXCALIBUR 2,
WHITES MX SPORT
Dan, that's an awesome hunt and one never to forget! Great to see it on the banner.

Will Beau post his finds here or on his channel?

Again, great finds and congrats!

OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks for all the votes folks... it was a fun day. Beau posted his on his facebook page, but now that it is out there, he found two sword baskets (complete with hilts and portions of blades) and we both found eagles...his was one of the swords, mine the eagle breast plate. We both found plenty of bullets.

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! I got home late last night after a busy day and missed the banner vote. It looks like your finds were put on the fast track to make the banner, and why not? Bayonet, basket hand guard, breast plate, buttons...you scored some killer finds. Congrats! The initials on the basket are fantastic. :notworthy:

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Truly awesome time you guys had! Mega Congrats on your finds and making Banner!!!!!! Rare items indeed! The Bayonet is in fantastic shape for a dug item!

This always happens when I'm off line, Banner finds start pop'n up all over the place!

GTzer

Jan 24, 2013
DELCO, Pa
Detector(s) used
xTerra 705 & 6000 xl Pro,CZ 20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Outstanding finds in great condition. Thanks for the post & pics.

madforclad

May 7, 2014
Hunting previously pounded sites
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac, Minelab X Terra 705, Garrett AT Pro with 5" x 8" coil, Fisher F2, Garrett Pro Pointer, RTG 710 Scoop.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic and historical finds! Congratulations! Just curious being up here in Canada, do you/will you get to keep those artifacts for your own collection or do they go to museums, etc..?

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on that "Mother Load" of relics the result of much research, persistence, and hard work !! Congrats on the Banner also =)

OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic and historical finds! Congratulations! Just curious being up here in Canada, do you/will you get to keep those artifacts for your own collection or do they go to museums, etc..?

The laws in the states are different. These are mine to keep as they came from non-state controlled waters and land with private permission.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions