🥇 BANNER Civil War Bonanza...Sword, Bayonet, and MORE! Soldier initials engraved!

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The other day I shoved off on what would prove to be a very productive and physical three-day camping and digging trip. Covering 35+ miles of water ways my good pal Beau and I had a heck of a trip. We spent many weeks researching and then the day was here to make good on it. I won't give away Beau's finds, though they are comparable and in some regards he most likely made the find of the hunt - though we both did VERY well.

I had a slow day 1 with just a couple of bullets and the early oar lock/holder - and Beau did as well, though he made his best two finds of the hunt on that day. Day 2 was spent digging plenty of bullets, fired and drops, CS and US. My heart breaker was the post-war Virginia Cuff button...go figure and I wonder how it found its way out in the middle of nowhere. I did well with bullets and a few other odds and ends but still could not touch Beau's finds from Day1.

Day 3 was my day to shine and shine I did. My first target of the morning was the dropped and perfectly straight bayonet...it was truly a needle in the haystack as other than one flat button, that was the only relic to be dug at that particular site. A short time later at a different location, I reached under the bank and pulled out the complete basket to an 1840's Cavalry saber "Wrist-breaker," I had finally found a nice "take-home" relic for the trip. (all of my finds were fun, but after such a physical trip, one would want a killer find to take home). What made this find even better is that IT WAS MARKED WITH THE SOLDIERS INITIALS!!! Carved on the hilt was W. H. K. After research, it seems unlikely that I will find the owner as there are over 10 regiments each with multiple WHKs who were in the area of this sword...still a neat addition to it. A few feet later I dug what must have been a dumped CW era vest as in the clay were 6 beautifully preserved civil war vest sized eagle general service buttons.

After digging another bullet and a few flat buttons and 1800s pocket knife, we moved on to the final site of the trip. My first find of the trip was a partially melted bullet, causing me to slow down and be more methodical...my second was the US Breast Plate! This was truly the trifecta day, sword, bayonet, plate...what else could surface. Well while it might not stun some, it made me very happy. I ended up in a pocket of .69 buck & ball cartridges. What is unique is that while I found a total of 7 of these (6 complete with their buck balls), I recovered one that was entirely fused together and intact, the balls and .69 ball still together! This is a unique and cool find. My last find of the trip was the trigger mechanism for a civil war era enfield musket.

All in all I dug 40+ bullets, a handful of buttons, the basket, bayonet, and breast plate. We always have a great time and this will be one trip that will not be forgotten by either of us.

HH

Dan

Attachments

• 1a.JPG
    1a.JPG
    620.2 KB · Views: 539
  • 1b.JPG
    1b.JPG
    937 KB · Views: 506
  • P8050033.JPG
    P8050033.JPG
    81.4 KB · Views: 427
  • 1c.JPG
    1c.JPG
    432.3 KB · Views: 413
  • 1d.JPG
    1d.JPG
    708.1 KB · Views: 424
  • 1e.JPG
    1e.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 422
  • 1g.JPG
    1g.JPG
    603 KB · Views: 458
  • 1f.JPG
    1f.JPG
    747.2 KB · Views: 448
  • 1j.JPG
    1j.JPG
    549.4 KB · Views: 387
  • 1i.JPG
    1i.JPG
    360.8 KB · Views: 343
  • 1h.JPG
    1h.JPG
    310.1 KB · Views: 388
  • 1k.JPG
    1k.JPG
    475.9 KB · Views: 376
  • 1l.JPG
    1l.JPG
    439.4 KB · Views: 361
  • 1m.JPG
    1m.JPG
    401.7 KB · Views: 400
  • P8020013.JPG
    P8020013.JPG
    332.2 KB · Views: 614
Upvote 58

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a great hunt! You guys were on the relics. I am sure Aqua Chigger filmed you the whole time.:laughing7: That sword pommel with the initials is a banner in itself. What a fun trip. Talk Beau into posting his finds Dan. Thanks for taking us along for the exciting ride.
Congratulations on your "Banner" also. Well deserved.
HH
TnMtns

parsonwalker

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2013
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Modified GI Mine Detector (In the 60s)
Metrotech (In the 70s)
Tesoro Tejon (Now!)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
What a great hunt! You guys were on the relics. I am sure Aqua Chigger filmed you the whole time.:laughing7: That sword pommel with the initials is a banner in itself. What a fun trip. Talk Beau into posting his finds Dan. Thanks for taking us along for the exciting ride.
HH
TnMtns

I echo all of that! I have been away from the computer so just saw this moments ago. Wow, and WOW! Just gorgeous stuff. So well done, my friend!

OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HH
TnMtns

Thanks for the kind words...it is always fun getting out with a good friend, and finding relics to boot is just the icing.

McClod

Jun 14, 2013
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett Pro Pointer and Whites TRX Pin Pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What an amazing hunt you had! Can't wait to see Beau's post, if he does! Last year when i first started thinking of starting in the hobby, i found Beau's youtube page, and was so amazed at his skill and finds that his videos totally sold me on detecting and i bought my 1st detector, an AT Pro. Been at it ever since, most days of the week as I'm retired. Living on the west coast, I don't make the kinds of finds you guys do, but in September I'm off to visit my mother in law who lives in Frederick MD, and I can hardly wait to try my luck there! If you guys know of any places that's safe and legal to hunt in the area I would be mighty great full for a tip! Thanks, and congratulations on your amazing hunt!!!

Don

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Killer finds. Love the sword!

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
fantastic hunt Dan!! would love to find any one piece there! congrats!

OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What an amazing hunt you had! Can't wait to see Beau's post, if he does! Last year when i first started thinking of starting in the hobby, i found Beau's youtube page, and was so amazed at his skill and finds that his videos totally sold me on detecting and i bought my 1st detector, an AT Pro. Been at it ever since, most days of the week as I'm retired. Living on the west coast, I don't make the kinds of finds you guys do, but in September I'm off to visit my mother in law who lives in Frederick MD, and I can hardly wait to try my luck there! If you guys know of any places that's safe and legal to hunt in the area I would be mighty great full for a tip! Thanks, and congratulations on your amazing hunt!!!

Don

Not sure about up in that area as I lived about 4 hours south of there. Been hunting with Beau for years and we always have a fun time when together, he posts his finds on facebook these days.

Dan

acepro

Mar 15, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
great finds! tell your friend nice finds and also nice name.
Happy hunting,
Beau

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread