Found an Unusual Fork, Plus some Earlier Treasures-FINALLY HAVE PICS!!!

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I finally got around to breaking out my digital camera so I'm posting a pic of some of my finds for the very first time.

I went to a middle school I've never hunted today on a whim and wasn't there 10 minutes when I got a really high ring on my BH 202. I dug the hole and saw what I thought was some kind of large silver for a brief second.

It wasn't but it was an Oneida Golden Julliard salad fork with an 18K gold electroplated tip. You just never know what you'll dig up next. That's the last thing I expected to find today. I looked it up and they sell for about 10-20 bucks.

I also took a shot of some of my earlier finds. There are 4 Silver Washingtons, 1940, 41,50 & '57, a nice yellow and white gold men's wedding band, a ladies silver ring with CZ stones, 2 fake rings to the right and one fake ring holding the wedding band up. I actually dug that last one today and that would be ring #10. That's kind of a milestone even if it's junk (genuine imitation tin I think). It does make a perfect ring stand for pics anyway.

*****EDIT*****

My camera is about 10 years old. I haven't touched it in about 4-5 years. It's a Canon 7.1 megapixel cam and I'm just now figuring out the macro settings for good close ups. The resolution just isn't as good as today's cameras. Of course, it was the top of the line in it's day. I'll start using it more and soon I'll get much better shots. I'm just a bit rusty at the moment.

I have lots of other finds I'll get some shots of but these are some of the best. I've only been detecting seriously since June 21 so I hope to find lots more cool stuff (don't we all??).

006.JPG

*****UPDATE*****

The ring on the far right turned out to be unmarked 10K!! Apparently, it was resized and the markings were lost. So, I moved that one into the gold column.

It pays to check, double check and re check every piece of "junk" jewelry.
It's not always marked.

Last edited:
Upvote 8

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
very nice finds, thanks for posting

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice digs . Thanks for the pics

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
4 silver quarter in 5 weeks would make you a super star where I live. Congrats.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds for sure gold and silver! Congrats! May your goodie pouch be full of treasures! GL. HH!

OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
4 silver quarter in 5 weeks would make you a super star where I live. Congrats.

Thanks.

Keep in mind, during that time I have literally spent ALL of my spare time hunting. I've also dug a ton or two of trash.

Also, those 4 silvers and both of the good rings were all found in one day at one location in about an hour or two. It was an old beach where many people have congregated for many, many years. Location has everything to do with it. I have to admit that was a great day though. I expected to hit silver given the location but I would have been tickled with just one at this point.

I want to get back there. I haven't even begun to scratch the surface of that spot. I'm almost certain that no one else has either. I need to get back before the word gets out and the place is picked clean.

Last edited:

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Grats on the good finds! We all dig plenty of trash and its worth doing in the long run (I have to keep telling myself that lol) !!

OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Grats on the good finds! We all dig plenty of trash and its worth doing in the long run (I have to keep telling myself that lol) !!

It is worth it. When I saw the silver of that fork last night I really got excited for around 3-4 seconds. That beautiful high tone had me chomping at the bit only to be a tad bit disappointed. I also saw a brief flash of that gold tip and I was thinking a silver and gold bracelet or something until the tines were revealed.

I've been intentionally digging a whole bunch of trashy signals in the hope of something gold lately. I can't tell you how many pop tops, pull tabs, bottle caps and can slaw I have been digging. Too bad aluminum isn't worth more because we'd all be making money.

That is a cool fork though and was quite a surprise. I would NEVER personally spend money on flatware like that even if it did have a genuine 18K gold electroplated handle tip.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions