🥇 BANNER Did I Really Find a War of 1812 British Hat Badge Today!?

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

I was on my way back from working a few days in Ottawa today and decided to stop for a quick 2hr hunt at a site where I've already had some success at finding War of 1812 relics! :thumbsup: This site has been pounded to death by at least a half dozen others over the past 4 - 5 years, so I'm happy just to get any scrap of a relic they might have left behind! :laughing7: Well today it seems they left something really big for me to find! I found the large brass cruet stand base first, then the brass harness buckle. There was a ton of trash to get through on this area, so I took my time and dug anything that gave a solid non-ferrous reading, hence all of the trash.

I then got a solid 85 - 86 at 8" and thought ... "wow this must be big" :icon_scratch: then out of the hole came the hat badge! :o I dropped down to my knees, knowing full well what I had just found and all I could say was OMG, OMG, OMG, please let this be real! I had to take a quite a number of insitue pictures, as all the pics were coming out blurry because my hands kept shaking.

I will leave this to the experts here to help me I.D. exactly what this plate is. I can tell you that it's solid, heavy and still has some of the leather / felt on the back!

Thanks for looking,
Dave

Update

This piece is a Victorian Period (1837 - 1901) British Army Mounted Officer’s Breastplate/Martingale Badge

"This is a general service pattern, pre-1902 martingale badge, which seems to have featured a Guelphic crown, perhaps in association with Prince Albert. They were worn across the horse's chest. This would have been worn on the chest of the horse held by three straps, two on either side of its flanks from beneath the saddle with a third, central strap, running beneath the horses' chest to the girth strap. The strap originally attached the underside of the noseband to the girth, in order to keep the horse's head down. Either the badge or the leather pad on which it sits is in many cases heart shaped, reflecting that it (the badge) sits over the horses’ heart. There were also regimental versions and the crown changed with the sovereign, just as with cap badges and other insignia. Invariably martingale badges took the same 'garter' shape as that adopted as a template for Glengarry badges and, similarly, the centre often bore a unit motif."
Thanks again for your help on the I.D. Rick! :occasion14:

Here are a couple of pics of the piece after a light brushing with combination of beeswax & paraffin wax. :thumbsup:

Attachments

• SDC19057.JPG
    SDC19057.JPG
    95 KB · Views: 622
  • SDC19062.JPG
    SDC19062.JPG
    104.8 KB · Views: 583
  • SDC19090.JPG
    SDC19090.JPG
    97.7 KB · Views: 639
  • SDC19061.JPG
    SDC19061.JPG
    81.6 KB · Views: 651
  • SDC19060.JPG
    SDC19060.JPG
    94 KB · Views: 573
  • SDC19058.JPG
    SDC19058.JPG
    90.6 KB · Views: 550
  • SDC19089.JPG
    SDC19089.JPG
    64.8 KB · Views: 534
  • SDC19088.JPG
    SDC19088.JPG
    59.2 KB · Views: 564
  • SDC19087.JPG
    SDC19087.JPG
    64.4 KB · Views: 531
  • SDC19086.JPG
    SDC19086.JPG
    64.9 KB · Views: 632
  • SDC19082.JPG
    SDC19082.JPG
    63.8 KB · Views: 541
  • SDC19081.JPG
    SDC19081.JPG
    56 KB · Views: 529
  • SDC19080.JPG
    SDC19080.JPG
    65.8 KB · Views: 531
  • SDC19079.JPG
    SDC19079.JPG
    60.2 KB · Views: 540
  • SDC19105.JPG
    SDC19105.JPG
    63.5 KB · Views: 526
  • SDC19104.JPG
    SDC19104.JPG
    67 KB · Views: 523
Last edited:
Upvote 66

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm late to the posting party again, that item really cleaned up to perfection, it continues to amaze me how many different great relics turn up here even after a number of years posting on this board! Big congrats on that great banner item finding!! I would call it a once in a lifetime find but there is always hope that more amazing goodies will be unearthed in the future ! Hope that I can find something banner worthy in the future like that. Truly you never know what will turn up next from the soil !!

Michiganne

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2007
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, congrats on saving that beauty of a relic, Dave. :hello2: Very nice. WTG on the banner, too. :thumbsup:

HH

OP
OP
ANTIQUARIAN

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

HUGE
congrats on banner! You are very deserving of it!
Thanks very much Dave! :occasion14:

GREAT find. Beautiful condition, and Congratulations!

Best Wishes,

Buck

Thank you Buck! :thumbsup:
Dave

Heh.............I'd keep pulling it out of my pouch saying...................COOL:laughing7:

Some day i'll find something.......................COOL.

Looks COOL up top Dave.....Grats dude!!!

GOD Bless

Chris

Thanks for your support Chris! :laughing7:
Best of luck to you,
Dave

Holy cow! What a find congrats! That is the find of a lifetime rite there. I'm dream about finds like that. There was fort very close to where I live and a grave yard for the soldiers killed or died from disease that was found when they built the courthouse in the town closest to me. They moved those graves but the front lawn of the courthouse still has unmarked graves under it. I do some river hunting here in hopes of finding NW Indian war artifacts and war of 1812 along with col Crawford battle that took place 5 miles from my house during revolutionary war. I hope someday to find something this special and finds like what you have is the reason I love detecting. Don't get me wrong I don't mind the old silver coins but war relics are what I really get excited about. Congrats again.

Thank you for your post Kodiak! :thumbsup:
This is my first 'serious' military find, although I have found WWI Buttons and a War of 1812 US Eagle Button.

But this is one will definitely be hard to top!
Best of luck to you,
Dave

Looks real good up top! :headbang: I love seeing military buckles or badges of any kind and yours is superb!!

Thanks for your post and for your praise birdman! :thumbsup:
Dave

Sure looks good up on the banner ! Congrats Dave !
Glen
Thanks very much Glen, thanks again for your support! :occasion14:
Dave

I'm late to the posting party again, that item really cleaned up to perfection, it continues to amaze me how many different great relics turn up here even after a number of years posting on this board! Big congrats on that great banner item finding!! I would call it a once in a lifetime find but there is always hope that more amazing goodies will be unearthed in the future ! Hope that I can find something banner worthy in the future like that. Truly you never know what will turn up next from the soil !!

All that matters is that you made it to the party my friend! :laughing7:
I initially just used a toothbrush, liquid dish soap and warm water.
After the piece dried I then brushed on a light coat of paraffin & beeswax to even out the patina.
This wax can be washed off at anytime to reveal the original finish! :thumbsup:

Thanks for your post and best of luck to you,
Dave

Wow, congrats on saving that beauty of a relic, Dave. :hello2: Very nice. WTG on the banner, too. :thumbsup:

HH

Thanks very much Anne!
Your BANNER find is coming soon, I can feel it! :occasion14:
Dave

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
congtrats on you first banner - well done

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is a BEAUTIFUL piece of HISTORY! Congratulations on a great hunt and for making the banner!:thumbsup:

:)
Breezie

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing find Dave!!!! Congrats on your well deserved BANNER recovery. It l@@ks awesome up top on the banner train.:occasion14:
-Doug-

OP
OP
ANTIQUARIAN

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on Banner bud!! Very deserving indeed!
Thanks very much for your post and your support Dan! :occasion14:
I really appreciate it my friend,
Dave

That is a BEAUTIFUL piece of HISTORY! Congratulations on a great hunt and for making the banner!:thumbsup:

:)
Breezie

Thanks very much Breezie! :hello:
I keep reading about the "Sambo" Cap Gun that you found a few years ago, most recently in the September issue of W & E magazine.
I remember the day you posted that piece here on Tnet and the restoration you had done on it ... now that's a a "BEAUTIFUL piece of HISTORY"! :thumbsup:

I also remember a piece of advice you once gave me, which I still think about every time I use it.

"If you want to 'slow down' when you're detecting ... detect walking backwards". :laughing7:

Dave

Amazing find Dave!!!! Congrats on your well deserved BANNER recovery. It l@@ks awesome up top on the banner train.:occasion14:
-Doug-

Thanks very much Doug!
This means a lot coming from someone with as many BANNERS as you have my friend! :thumbsup:
Dave

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's MXT All Pro,White's MX Sport , White's XLT E-Series,White's eagle spectrum,White's Silver Eagle & White's 4000-D
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
awesome Dave! congrats on the banner!

BOXING63

Jan 7, 2007
PIRATE ,CT
Detector(s) used
Excalibur ll, Sovereign GT / New England Detectors USA
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Man that is a very nice piece congrats

JDug

Aug 15, 2012
Frederick Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's V3I , Minelab CTX 3030 , Cibola, Deus, ATPro, GPX 5000. 4800, 4500, & 3500.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's 1 beautiful piece of history, Congrats!

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other
Dave i just wanted to say congrats on your W&Eastern treasure article:headbang:

I remember the first Badge you found now look at you:laughing7:

I live on Knight property from the 1700's...

~Blaze~

OP
OP
ANTIQUARIAN

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks very much Johnny! :occasion14:
I'm still waiting for my copy to arrive of this months issue.

To be perfectly honest, I didn't even know for sure if W&E was going to publish my story... until now! :laughing7:

Thanks again buddy, the spring weather is on it's way!
Dave

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread