ALWAYS Double Check and RE Check Your Clad.......

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was going through several hundred clad coins I dug up to see if I missed anything. Unfortunately, there was no silver but I did manage to dig out five wheaties I had overlooked the first time (my eyes just ain't what they used to be).

There was a 1944D, a 1936, what I believe is a 1914 and two basically unreadable dates as of now but one may possibly be a 1918. They look pretty old though. One's really bent and distorted.

They're all in pretty terrible shape which is probably why they were missed, but wheaties are wheaties nonetheless and it's 5 more for the tally. I couldn't tell ya' where I dug any of them but I did dig em' up at some point.

Fronts:

Wheaties Found in Clad 001.JPG

Reverse:

Wheaties Found in Clad 002.JPG

I still haven't double checked my nickels or dimes yet but I will before cashing them in.

So, if you have a slow hunting day (or week or whatever), double check your clad stash and you just may hit on some missed treasures.

Last edited:
Upvote 2

testing123

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2009
United States
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, TDI SL
My first year back into detecting in '09 I found about 15 wheat cents in the Lincoln pile that I missed. Also found a War Nickel. I make sure to check every coin before putting them away. Even check the 72 and 69 Lincolns for Double dies! You never know

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
yes, just the other day I found an unreadable wheatie in the clad that I was about to clean, almost missed it altogether

OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
*****Update****

The one I thought was a 1918 turned out to be a 1948. I was only off by a mere 30 years.
The 4th one is a 1914 though. Again, they're all in lousy shape but had I not dug holes I wouldn't have them.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread