borntohunt460

Jul 30, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Help me see George's face!!!

Before today the oldest coin I have found is an 1813 largie. Well this morning in my new home Maryland I think I found a colonial copper. Its thinner than a large cent and the location is colonial.

What's the best way to see some detail if any is there? I didn't rub when it came out and it has dried dirt on both sides. I'm too squeamish to do peroxide and have had bad results with old coppers. It was a great day detecting and have my first club hunt tomorrow.

ForumRunner_20140816_171805.png

ForumRunner_20140816_171822.png

ForumRunner_20140816_171834.png

ForumRunner_20140816_171847.png

Upvote 4

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Use the dry wooden toothpick and dry soft bristle toothbrush trick....lightly scratch/scrape, then brush, then repeat and repeat until you are happy with the result...do not use any water or liquid of any kind on this one.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Take a soft dry brush, lightly brush it off. Then take a flashlight and lay the coin on a table and take the flashlight and lay it shining on the coin right next to the coin. So the light shoots across the face of the coin parallel with the coin. It should cast a shadow so you can see the coin. I saw this on YouTube seems to work really well. Please try it and take a photo if it works !! :thumbsup:

Keep @ it and HH !! :hello2:

doninbrewster

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2013
New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm curious to see what this looks like when it's been cleaned up a bit. Odds are it is NOT a George II or George III halfpence. More likely it's a counterfeit George III or possibly a Machin's Mills piece or Connecticut. Regal British halfpence were not that thin whereas the counterfeits were. Same goes for the Machins and some of the CT's. In what state did you find it? This might help with what it might be.

OP
OP
borntohunt460

borntohunt460

Jul 30, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's how it came out. I can literally see nothing. It looks similar to buttons I've found but theres no evidence at all of a shank. Could it be counterfeit or a different older coin?

ForumRunner_20140820_193314.png

ForumRunner_20140820_193326.png

prolab69

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2007
in the stix of NY
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Fisher CZ-3D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yeah your lucky to see any detail at all, that sucker is toast, you can try a peroxide bath, cant make any worse then it is value wise. if it was thicker you would have more options. your better off throwing it in the box and keep looking for more. If anything your find tells you that they are out there and they can be found. good find non the less, just have to hope the next one is in better shape, good luck.

Dopalgangr

Tenderfoot
Jul 13, 2014
MD
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 and Garrett PinPointer Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes and no luck with it. Not really sure what to look for but there aren't discernable features
hey I'm in Frederick and always looking for someone to detect with. Hit me up if you want.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread