BIG 2 REALES and a PELICAN, and Shanegalang with TWO OUNCES of SILVER!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

Been so busy we have to marathon hunt when we can. Got out for two hunts in a row, and the first hunt we were doing some scouting at a site where we saw some scant signs on a previous trip, but couldn't come up with anything decent. Well, we went back for a second look, and glad we did. It was Shanegalag's day that day. He dug a HUGE silver spoon hallmarked in New Orleans in the 1850s. No doubt the handle from the spoon will come up on a future hunt. It weighs almost two ounces!

spoon.jpg

My consolation prize was a tiny green trade bead that gave me some hope for older relics and coins. I also picked up an old Catholic medallion (brass), which is par for the course for South Louisiana. Snagged a couple of the ever-present tax tokens. Man, they sound good. I was really pleased with the ornate keyhole cover from a smokehouse lock. At any rate, here are my finds from that day:

HPIM4747.JPG HPIM4749.JPG

OK, so then the next thing I know, Shanegalang is yelling "Hi Ho!" (SILVER!!) and I'm thinking this was not my day. I start walking in his direction. OK, so on a side note, seems like everyone I've ever dug with has dug a Barber Quarter. Often right in front of me. Or over to the side. Or where I was just detecting. I have never found one. Kindafoundabuckle dug THREE of them in twice as many hunts, mere feet away from where I was digging. Then Diggergirl's second silver was a pristine, beautiful Barber Quarter. I was enjoying the fact that neither Shane nor I had dug one...

but of course, when I walk over to him, he's grinning and holding a Barber Quarter in his hands. :D

1896 barber obv.jpg 1896 barber rev.jpg

The Next Day, we're both up early, to catch the early morning hours since it's gonna be 95 degrees and rain coming by mid-day. Well, it was a comedy of errors. Shanegalang had car trouble, then caught in traffic. I forgot my Camelbak (NOT smart, with such heat and humidity!). Then on the drive to a new site, it started to rain. :( The forecast still said 0%. Damned weather channel!

We got to the site, and luckily it stopped raining. We got to work. Shanegalang dug what we think is a sword hanger. Then I got a couple heel plates. Nice complete ones. :) Next I dug one of those "mickey mouse" style small locks. Those are very old, if I'm not mistaken. Then I got a garbled iron-like signal. When I isolated the lower part of it, and narrowed my swing, the F75 locked right in on "80" and started to sing! :headbang: It was crazy. Swinging across both targets I got an awful signal. But there was a honey of a signal right beside. It pinpointed to two inches. When I flipped the clod out, I was staring at BIG SILVER!

HPIM4750.JPG

It was an 1826 TWO REALES!! I was jumping up and down in the sugar cane field in the 100 degree heat. :laughing9:

HPIM4755.JPG HPIM4758.JPG

Shanegalang dug a 1936 Buffalo Nickel. I then swiftly collected a 1901 V and an 186? Shield for the nickel trifecta. :)

HPIM4768.JPG HPIM4769.JPG HPIM4770.JPG

We broke for a quick box of fried chicken, then came back and no sooner than I'd hiked into the center of the field did I get a nice brass signal and pop out a bent button. When I was halfway bent over to pick it up I saw the rope border and knew what I had! A CIVIL WAR LOUISIANA PELICAN BUTTON!!! Unbelievable!

HPIM4760.JPG

Then if things couldn't get any better, we located a trash pit or privy. Oyster shells compacted in there, and no good tools to begin the excavation. We dug just enough to confirm what the pit was, and I recovered some sort of small brass bucket or similar. Strange thing, is it looks like it had two spouts brasied on. :dontknow: Any clues? Bound to be pre-CW, due to the age of the glass in the pit.

HPIM4775.JPG HPIM4776.JPG HPIM4777.JPG HPIM4778.JPG

I also dug a pewter mystery item with a design.

HPIM4779.JPG

And here is a photo of my finds from the second hunt:

HPIM4771.JPG

And the 1826 2 Reales:

HPIM4767.JPG HPIM4766.JPG

And the plow-struck Louisiana Pelican CW Button

HPIM4764.JPG

Take it from me, don't leave your camelbak at home. :-\ Seriously though, stay safe, and be careful out there.

Best Wishes,

Buck

Cane Bandits.jpg
The CaneField Bandits

Last edited:
Upvote 31

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow great stuff Buck! Those pelican buttons are incredible and the Spanish... Well we lall live that :-)
I found the exact same lock not long ago. Didn't know how old they were. Do you know an approximate age Buck?

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I like it all BB!! The Pelican will restore great. I have only dug one Barber quarter and I was looking for CW relics at the time. You guys had a great day. Congrats on your 2nd 2 Reales from LA. WTG, Q.

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic recoveries Guys!!! I'm drooling here in my recliner. :tongue3: Congrats to Shang on that giant silver spoon and of course the elusive Barber quarter. Your turn is next Will. Maybe a Barber quarter pocket spill to make up for all of these years? :dontknow:
Way to go on that pelican button and 2 reales. :notworthy: I have a heel plate just like that one with the star center you dug.
Thanks again for the tip on the wicking clothes. They REALLY help a lot!

Thanks for the post,
Doug

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow great stuff Buck! Those pelican buttons are incredible and the Spanish... Well we lall live that :-)
I found the exact same lock not long ago. Didn't know how old they were. Do you know an approximate age Buck?

I had heard that the style of lock dates from the late 1700s.

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like it all BB!! The Pelican will restore great. I have only dug one Barber quarter and I was looking for CW relics at the time. You guys had a great day. Congrats on your 2nd 2 Reales from LA. WTG, Q.

Quindy,

Any idea on the little brass "bucket"?

Ia.FurTrade

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2008
Southeast Iowa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You guy's are doing GREAT, BB!!! Love the 2R.........think you'll be able to "ressurect" the Pelican?
GL & HH !
Iowa Dale

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You guy's are doing GREAT, BB!!! Love the 2R.........think you'll be able to "ressurect" the Pelican?
GL & HH !
Iowa Dale

I am going to send it off for restoration. :)

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I follow all your post, don't always respond, but looks like your still doing great.

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I follow all your post, don't always respond, but looks like your still doing great.

I appreciate your reply, my friend. I follow all of yours as well, although I'm not on Tnet as much as I have been in previous years. Congrats again on the recent gold and banner. What you're finding over there is simply amazing.

Cheers,

Buck

Greylock

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2012
Western MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent recoveries Buck! It's always nice coming home with a good variety of finds. Those heel plates a nice. Usually only find the hearts around here and mostly broken and of course I always like seeing you pull spanish silver. Congrats.

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Glad to see you guys are back in the groove Buck. An outstanding day for sure. Congrats on some exceptional finds.

okerraine

Mar 24, 2009
Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
XP Deus Teknetics T2 Minelab equinox 800 CTX Firty Firty
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, what a day you guys had. Enjoy your posts they always inspire me.

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent recoveries Buck! It's always nice coming home with a good variety of finds. Those heel plates a nice. Usually only find the hearts around here and mostly broken and of course I always like seeing you pull spanish silver. Congrats.

I think I only have 3 or 4 complete heel plates in my collection. Crazy odds against pulling out two complete ones in one hunt.

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic recoveries Guys!!! I'm drooling here in my recliner. :tongue3: Congrats to Shang on that giant silver spoon and of course the elusive Barber quarter. Your turn is next Will. Maybe a Barber quarter pocket spill to make up for all of these years? :dontknow:
Way to go on that pelican button and 2 reales. :notworthy: I have a heel plate just like that one with the star center you dug.
Thanks again for the tip on the wicking clothes. They REALLY help a lot!

Thanks for the post,
Doug

I think it was two really good hunts. Shang has his eye on snagging a pelican, and it'll be his turn sooner or later. I am ok without the Barber. I can wait till 2015. :D But I will not wait any longer than 2017 to dig one, cause that would be 25 years of detecting without finding a Barber Quarter. :laughing9:

It was truly great to see another Pelican come up, especially because it was dug on a new field. (Our other 4 Pelicans all came from the same field, where a coat was likely tossed out.) Anytime one button is found, it opens the door up for more CW relics, a belt plate, or more military buttons.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread