SPLASH

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
AMC has been running the Tom Hanks movie "Splash" recently, so I thought it appropriate to share a find from the 1808 house. Yesterday morning, during an otherwise fruitless search, I found this Sterling mermaid. It is very thin, and may have been hit by a mower at one time. There is a tiny hole, not sure if it's visible, right near the bottom center of the piece. I thought this would be more interesting than some clad and a 44 wheat.

Attachments

• mermaid (2).jpg
    mermaid (2).jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 617
Upvote 0

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Neat looking pin. Needs cleaned up some.

HH Jer

Natman

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm II, White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
She's gorgeous! ::) Cool find.

HH,
Nat

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can't beat swimmin' with silver women! ;D
Nice ring.
Great find.
MM

Rich in Central PA

May 28, 2003
Shamokin Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
halfdime said:
AMC has been running the Tom Hanks movie "Splash" recently, so I thought it appropriate to share a find from the 1808 house. Yesterday morning, during an otherwise fruitless search, I found this Sterling mermaid. It is very thin, and may have been hit by a mower at one time. There is a tiny hole, not sure if it's visible, right near the bottom center of the piece. I thought this would be more interesting than some clad and a 44 wheat.

Nice find halfdime. :) I'm gettin' sick of Tom Hanks too. Now TNT is gonna run Castaway 3 times this weekend. I'd rather watch James Bond reruns ;D ...........Rich

OP
OP
halfdime

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Of course, Rich, I like the looks of that diamond ring better! :o

Ridley

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2004
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SLII and the E series DFX and the Minelab ExplorerII
halfdime,

I'm used to seeing coins in your posts. That's a mighty cool ring. It looks very old.

Congratulations!

Ridley

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Halfdime you done good:) Great find, can't believe you didn't find at least one good coin.

HH, Ringfinder

OP
OP
halfdime

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Ridley, I'm starting to wonder about the old coins myself; this is the deepest topsoil I've ever dug in, and I suspect that the older coins may be very deep, but it doesn't explain the lack of modern silver. Maybe they just weren't there, or someone searched the place without permission. The woman who gave me permission told me another person had been turned down some years ago (an action she thought was short-sighted, but she wasn't in charge.) As it was, I didn't ask permission, I was asked to do the search. I know I sound like a whiner, moaning about a few wheats and a Mercury, but this area has given up so much good old stuff that anything less is disappointing. I've had several old houses in the last few weeks that seem to have been searched already; I might start focusing on the less obvious places. Everyone wants to search the grand old Victorian on the corner; some of my best finds have come from a nondescript bungalow in the middle of a block.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions