Silverslug

Aug 14, 2014
Nevada
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Silverslug's metal detecting finds

8-21-2014: Wakura Park: 6 AM-7 AM: 7 zincs, 3 coppers, 2 nickels, 6 dimes, 2 quarters; 20 coins: $1.30
8-22-14: Wakura Park: 6:15 AM-7 AM: 2 coppers, 3 zincs, 2 quarters; $.55
8-23-14: Swan Middle School: 6:10 AM-7:05 AM: 6 zincs, 5 dimes, 2 quarters; small metal button; 13 coins: $1.06
8-25-14: Wakura Park: 6:10 AM-6:50 AM: 1 copper, 2 zincs; 3 coins: $.03
8-26-14: Wakura Park: 5:40 AM-6:55 AM: 3 coppers, 3 zincs, 1 nickel, 1 dime, 1 quarter; 9 coins: $.46
8-27-14: Wakura Park: 5:25 AM-6:55 AM: 5 coppers, 6 zincs, 1 nickel; 12 coins: $.16
8-28-14: Wakura Park: 6:00 AM-6:50 AM: 5 coppers, 13 zincs, 18 coins; $.18
spent the entire hunt in a 10 foot radius area working an enormous penny spill
8-28-14: North Regional Park: 10:30AM-11:00 AM: 1 quarter; 1 coin: $.25
8-29-14: Wakura Park: 5:45 AM-6:45 AM: 8 coppers, 12 zincs; 20 coins: $.20
8-30-14: Swan Middle School: 6:35AM-7:25AM: 4 coppers, 5 zincs, 1 dime; 10 coins: $.19

GRAND TOTALS: 1284 coins $57.48

Last edited:
Upvote 4

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Holy Guacamole, Sluggo, you are really knocking those parks out of... the... park... :laughing7:

I did all coinshooting of parks and fairgrounds one year. It sure added up. I didnt keep a running tab of it, but it really surprised me.

OP
OP
S

Silverslug

Aug 14, 2014
Nevada
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good luck on your upcoming hunt of the older property! I also wanted to mention that if you check out some swimming holes on Lake Meade or other Lakes, make sure that there are no restrictions about metal detector use in or out of the water. Here, most of the Lakes are under the authority of TVA (The Tennessee Valley Authority, a Government Entity) which built and maintain the Dams, the production of Hydro-Electricity and governs the waters and the adjacent TVA owned lands and metal detecting is strictly prohibited. This is mainly because they do not want Civil War relics and other relics dug up. Surface finds are okay but no metal detecting or digging is allowed.

As far as a better, deeper seeking metal detector is concerned. There are lots of great machines that go deep and help folks make some great finds. If you are looking for something not too expensive that will still do almost what some of the most expensive metal detectors can do, then I would recommend a White's GMT which will not only find coins and relics but is also one of the better Gold machines out there. Also, the Minelab Sovereign Elite, Sovereign GT and E-Trac Models, Fisher Gold Bug and I believe the F-75 Models and Garrett AT Pro and AT Gold Models can often be picked up at decent prices and all are excellent metal detectors. Some of these are also decent to excellent in finding Gold, if you ever decide to Gold Nugget shoot.

Frank
The AT Pro is my Dream Machine. Seems to give a huge amount of bang for the buck. The MineLab E-Trac seems like a tremendous machine, but probably beyond my price range. Lake Mead is Federal Property, so good chance detecting is prohibited out there. I'll have to ask some of the local guys out here. I'm sure they will know.

OP
OP
S

Silverslug

Aug 14, 2014
Nevada
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Holy Guacamole, Sluggo, you are really knocking those parks out of... the... park... :laughing7:

I did all coinshooting of parks and fairgrounds one year. It sure added up. I didnt keep a running tab of it, but it really surprised me.

I would like to search some Fairgrounds some time. Seems like a great place to search. I've gotten so sick and tired of zinc pennies that I won't even dig them anymore. They are usually in such poor condition anyway.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I would like to search some Fairgrounds some time. Seems like a great place to search. I've gotten so sick and tired of zinc pennies that I won't even dig them anymore. They are usually in such poor condition anyway.

Fairgrounds and locations where smaller Carnivals setup are prime locations! However, getting permission from the property owners may be a task and there is always the possibilty that other detectorists have hit them first. While staying the summer with my sister and brother-in-law in Newport, Rhode Island when I was 10 years old, there was a Carnival setup for much of the summer on the property adjacent to the old King's Beach there. They had rides I call salt & pepper shakers where the riders are turned upside down and spun around and around. Everytime the rides turned folks upside down, you could hear the change and other items falling out of their' pants pockets, hitting the protective metal on the cab of the ride and then falling to the ground. It was like hearing the Cha-ching of a cash register and myself and some local kids would pick up as much change as we could before the ride attendants would run us off. We were able to play many of the games and ride many of the rides without ever having to ask for money from parents and in my case, from my sister and brother-in-law.

Frank

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
The AT Pro is my Dream Machine. Seems to give a huge amount of bang for the buck. The MineLab E-Trac seems like a tremendous machine, but probably beyond my price range. Lake Mead is Federal Property, so good chance detecting is prohibited out there. I'll have to ask some of the local guys out here. I'm sure they will know.

The Minelab E-Trac would be an excellent choice if you have the money but if not, I believe the AT Pro would be a cheaper but great alternative. Don't discount some of the others I mentioned and there are many more good choices for metal detectors as well. When I have gotten into a crunch on cash several times, I have contemplated selling my' Minelab Sovereign Elite to get out of a bind. However, due to it being sooo sensitive, I can't bring myself to sacrifice it and I will tell you why. While sitting on a shelf above a stream in a cave in Middle Tennessee which I went in with Brad (Limitool), I swung the the metal detector over dried mud flows in the cave in hopes of finding some treasure that may have been buried during or before the Civil War. Everytime I would swing the coil towards myself, I would get a signal starting at nearly 3 1/2 feet away from my' legs as I swung the coil back towards me. The signal got stronger, the closer I got to my' legs and we thought something may be buried close to where I was sitting until I realized that the metal detector was picking up the foil pack from bug repellant wipes in my' cargo pants pocket. We then tested the sensitivity of the metal detector on the shovel's head that we brought along and it responded almost the same as it did on the foil pack. It would start sounding off at nearly 3 1/2 feet and increase in strength and loudness the closer the coil got to the shovel's head. Now that is sensitive in anyone's book and is why I won't sell the metal detector! Grant you, they don't have a large view meter or display but they do have a small meter and most come with a digital Signal Strength/ID Meter. I got mine' really cheap off Craigslist and it was the same as new in the box. They normally sell for $400 to $500 or more but can sometimes be picked up off eBay or Craigslist for under $400 which is a super price for such a sensitive metal detector! Do your research, determine what you can afford and what would be the best metal detector at that price for you. Watch Craigslist and eBay like an Eagle and who knows, you might just snag a higher priced and super metal detector at a very cheap price.

Frank

OP
OP
S

Silverslug

Aug 14, 2014
Nevada
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Minelab E-Trac would be an excellent choice if you have the money but if not, I believe the AT Pro would be a cheaper but great alternative. Don't discount some of the others I mentioned and there are many more good choices for metal detectors as well. When I have gotten into a crunch on cash several times, I have contemplated selling my' Minelab Sovereign Elite to get out of a bind. However, due to it being sooo sensitive, I can't bring myself to sacrifice it and I will tell you why. While sitting on a shelf above a stream in a cave in Middle Tennessee which I went in with Brad (Limitool), I swung the the metal detector over dried mud flows in the cave in hopes of finding some treasure that may have been buried during or before the Civil War. Everytime I would swing the coil towards myself, I would get a signal starting at nearly 3 1/2 feet away from my' legs as I swung the coil back towards me. The signal got stronger, the closer I got to my' legs and we thought something may be buried close to where I was sitting until I realized that the metal detector was picking up the foil pack from bug repellant wipes in my' cargo pants pocket. We then tested the sensitivity of the metal detector on the shovel's head that we brought along and it responded almost the same as it did on the foil pack. It would start sounding off at nearly 3 1/2 feet and increase in strength and loudness the closer the coil got to the shovel's head. Now that is sensitive in anyone's book and is why I won't sell the metal detector! Grant you, they don't have a large view meter or display but they do have a small meter and most come with a digital Signal Strength/ID Meter. I got mine' really cheap off Craigslist and it was the same as new in the box. They normally sell for $400 to $500 or more but can sometimes be picked up off eBay or Craigslist for under $400 which is a super price for such a sensitive metal detector! Do your research, determine what you can afford and what would be the best metal detector at that price for you. Watch Craigslist and eBay like an Eagle and who knows, you might just snag a higher priced and super metal detector at a very cheap price.

Frank
So it might even be possible to get a MileLab Sovereign Elite for under $500? That sounds like a smokin' deal. What is the deepest it will pick up a penny or dime? My Ace 250 maxes out at just 6 inches.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
So it might even be possible to get a MileLab Sovereign Elite for under $500? That sounds like a smokin' deal. What is the deepest it will pick up a penny or dime? My Ace 250 maxes out at just 6 inches.

Yes, it is quite possible to pick up a nice Minelab Sovereign Elite for under $500 and sometimes under $400 on eBay and possibly cheaper on Craigslist or local Ads! I purchase a lot of metal detectors, clean them up, test them, then eventually sell the one's I don't need or want because I have similar or better one's and usually buy more. If my memory serves me correctly, I only paid $175 for mine' 3 years ago. I bought it from a young gentleman that got in the purchase of a storage unit's contents that went up for auction.

Not really sure how deep it will pick up a penny or dime at! I only used it in the Cave in Middle, Tennessee to search for buried treasure and we metal detected an old Civil War era road and some Civil War foxholes on a bluff overlooking a river. I did find an old pocket knife close to (I guess) a foot down in the foxhole and lots of horseshoes and oxen shoes on the old road. I will try to get out with it in the next week and see if I can find some coins and measure the depths. I might even make a coin garden with coins at different depths. I know this is not the same as getting a signal from a coin that has lain in the ground for many years and the electrolysis field has had plenty of time to expand outward for many inches or more but it will give some idea as to their' capabilities!

Frank

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Silverslug

Aug 14, 2014
Nevada
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes, it is quite possible to pick up a nice Minelab Sovereign Elite for under $500 and sometimes under $400 on eBay and possibly cheaper on Craigslist or local Ads! I purchase a lot of metal detectors, clean them up, test them, then eventually sell the one's I don't need or want because I have similar or better one's and usually buy more. If my memory serves me correctly, I only paid $175 for mine' 3 years ago. I bought it from a young gentleman that got in the purchase of a storage unit's contents that went up for auction.

Not really sure how deep it will pick up a penny or dime at! I only used it in the Cave in Middle, Tennessee to search for buried treasure and we metal detected an old Civil War era road and some Civil War foxholes on a bluff overlooking a river. I did find an old pocket knife close to (I guess) a foot down in the foxhole and lots of horseshoes and oxen shoes on the old road. I will try to get out with it in the next week and see if I can find some coins and measure the depths. I might even make a coin garden with coins at different depths. I know this is not the same as getting a signal from a coin that has lain in the ground for many years and the electrolysis field has had plenty of time to expand outward for many inches or more but it will give some idea as to their' capabilities!

Frank
That's a smokin' deal--$125! My motto is that I don't pay full price for nothin'. I got my ACE 250 for $90, and my Garret Treasure ACE 300 for $40, both at pawn shops. Both good machines, but I want a higher end machine with numbers instead of notches. Does the Soverign Elite have notches, or numbers?

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
That's a smokin' deal--$125! My motto is that I don't pay full price for nothin'. I got my ACE 250 for $90, and my Garret Treasure ACE 300 for $40, both at pawn shops. Both good machines, but I want a higher end machine with numbers instead of notches. Does the Soverign Elite have notches, or numbers?

It was $175 not $125 that I paid for my' Sovereign Elite. It actually has both but the Notch on the Sovereign Elite is quite a bit different than what is on other metal detectors. See the pic below of the controls on the Control Box.

Frank

MInelabSovereignElite.jpg

OP
OP
S

Silverslug

Aug 14, 2014
Nevada
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It was $175 not $125 that I paid for my' Sovereign Elite. It actually has both but the Notch on the Sovereign Elite is quite a bit different than what is on other metal detectors. See the pic below of the controls on the Control Box.

Frank

I'll have to get on You-tube and see someone using one.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I'll have to get on You-tube and see someone using one.

I like this Youtube video of one for sale as it shows their' capabilities of discriminating Iron while still picking up all other non-Ferrous metals! Warning: If you are looking for Relics, then you don't want to discriminate Iron.

I also like this one as shows some depths of items in a test bed as well as the limits of the processor's recovery speed when swinging the metal detector as most detectorists swing their' metal detectors. Note: This is in Discrimination Mode and discriminating Iron. If you are however using the Discrimimation Mode and discriminating Iron, just slow down the swinging speed and this is less likely to occur or you could switch to all metals!

There are a lot of videos on the Minelab Sovereign GT Models but very few on the Elite. I included a link below to the Owner's/User's Manual, so you can read about the controls and workings of the Elite.

https://www.minelab.com/__files/f/4131/Inst Manual Sovereign Elite Website.pdf

Frank

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Silverslug

Aug 14, 2014
Nevada
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I like this Youtube video of one for sale as it shows their' capabilities of discriminating Iron while still picking up all other non-Ferrous metals! Warning: If you are looking for Relics, then you don't want to discriminate Iron.

I also like this one as shows some depths of items in a test bed as well as the limits of the processor's recovery speed when swinging the metal detector as most detectorists swing their' metal detectors. Note: This is in Discrimination Mode and discriminating Iron. If you are however using the Discrimimation Mode and discriminating Iron, just slow down the swinging speed and this is less likely to occur or you could switch to all metals!

There are a lot of videos on the Minelab Sovereign GT Models but very few on the Elite. I included a link below to the Owner's/User's Manual, so you can read about the controls and workings of the Elite.

https://www.minelab.com/__files/f/4131/Inst Manual Sovereign Elite Website.pdf

Frank

It seems to be a very deep machine. That is something the ACE 250 is definitely lacking.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
It seems to be a very deep machine. That is something the ACE 250 is definitely lacking.

This is due to it being an Entry Level Metal Detector lacking the better and more expensive electronics and wiring of the more expensive machines! If worse came to worse, I would imagine a person good with metal detector' electronics could boost the signal capability of the Ace 250 with stronger Diodes, maybe a signal booster add on and some professional re-wiring of the wire coils inside the Coil. Not sure what these modifications would cost or if they would be more cost effective than purchasing a better machine but I would imagine the costs would severely outweigh the benefits!

Frank

OP
OP
S

Silverslug

Aug 14, 2014
Nevada
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
IMG_3703.JPG IMG_3704.JPG
3-2-15: 10:17 AM-11:30 AM: City View Park: 4 coppers (including a 1953-D wheatie), 7 dimes, 3 quarters; 14 coins: $1.24. My hunt was interrupted by a little jerk defacing a tree with a hammer and trowel-like device. I approached said jerk, and asked what he was destroying the tree. The jerk responded that he was doing no harm to the tree. I called the cops, identified said jerk, and said jerk was arrested and charged with felony vandalism. Just another day at the office for this detectorist/crime fighter.
3-2-15: 3:10 PM-3:25 PM: Dude Park: 1 copper, 1 quarter; 2 coins: $.26
3-3-15: City View Park: 5:50 AM-6:55 AM: 4 coppers, 8 dimes, 1 quarter; 13 coins: $1.09.
3-5-15: City View Park: 5:40 AM-6:50 AM: 3 coppers, 1 nickel, 3 dimes, 4 quarters; 11 coins: $1.38.
3-6-15: City View Park: 5:35 AM-6:58 AM: 4 coppers, 9 dimes, 1 quarter; 14 coins: $1.19.
3-6-15: Patriot Park: 1:00 PM-2:00 PM: 1 copper, 3 zincs, 2 dimes: 6 coins: $.24.
3-7-15: 5:45 AM-6:15 AM: Abandoned house at Simmons & Logan (built 1961). Lots of trash and backfill. No coins. A spoon and a few buttons (surface finds).
3-7-15: Desert Highlands Park: 6:20 AM-7:00: 1 zinc; 1 coin: $.01.
3-9-15: 1325 Ardmore Ave.: 2:00 PM-2:15 PM: 3 coppers, 1 quarter; 4 coins: $.28. Also found a set of "diamond"-studded brass knuckles.
3-10-15: City View Park: 6:12 AM-7:02 AM: 2 coppers, 3 dimes; 5 coins: $.32. Also found a car wash token.
3-12-15: 1001 Bracken Ave. and 2221 Santa Clara Ave.: 9:30 AM-1:30 PM: 26 coppers (including 4 wheaties), 17 zincs, 8 dimes, 3 quarters, 1 half dollar 1946 Walking Liberty; 55 coins: $2.48.
3-14-15: CHS 6:12 AM-7:40 AM: 2 nickels, 5 dimes, 1 quarter; 8 coins: $.85.
3-16-15: City View Park: 6:03 AM-7:03 AM: 2 nickels, 6 dimes, 1 quarter; 9 coins: $.95.
3-17-15: City View Park: 11:20 AM-12:10 PM: 1 copper; 1 coin: $.01. No targets today for some reason.
3-19-15: City View Park: 10:00 AM-11:30 AM: 2 coppers, 3 zincs, 6 dimes; 11 coins: $.65. Also found an alcoholics anonymous token.
3-20-15: City View Park: 5:55 AM-AM: 3 coppers, 5 dimes, 3 quarters; 11 coins: $1.28.
3-21-15: 501 N. 8th St.: 6 AM- 7 AM: 4 coppers, 3 zincs, 1 nickel, 1 quarter; 9 coins: $.37. Also found a fairly decent child's ring.
3-23-15: Flowers Park: 6:46 AM-7:21 AM: 1 copper, 1 zinc, 3 dimes; 5 coins: $.32
3-24-15: City View Park: 5:51 AM-7:04 AM: 1 copper, 3 dimes, 3 quarters; 7 coins: $1.06.
3-26-15: City View Park: 12:33 PM-1:08 PM: 2 coppers, 1 dime, 2 quarters; 5 coins: $.67.
3-28-15: City View Park: 5:55 AM-7:00 AM: 2 coppers, 3 dimes, 2 quarters; 7 coins: $.82
3-31-15 to 4-3-15: Childhood home, Burley, Idaho: 1 copper, 1918 King George V Canadian dime, GM/Briggs Stratton key 1935-1966 era, 1930's-1940's era child's overalls button. Found the dime about 2 inches deep where the garden transitions into the field. Only two coins found in three days of hunting--approximately three hours total. 2 coins; $.01.
IMG_3703.JPG IMG_3704.JPG
4-2-15 and 4-3-15: Searched a neighbor's old 1930's and 1940-50's home sites where he grew up. No coins found--only a variety of junk items.
4-6-15: 6:45 AM-7:30 AM: Two small sidewalk strips: 400 and 500 S. blocks of 1000 E., Salt Lake City: 1 zinc, 2 dimes; 3 coins: $.12
4-7-15: 6:18 AM-6:57 AM: Flowers Park: 2 coppers, 3 zincs, 3 dimes; 8 coins: $.35.
4-8-15: 2:45 PM-3:20 PM: Dude Park: 4 zincs, 1 dime: 4 coins: $.14.
4-9-15: 1:30 PM-4:00 PM: 700 Biltmore Ave.: 28 coppers (including 3 wheats), 14 zincs, 1 nickel, 6 dimes, 2 quarters. Also found a ring; 51 coins: $1.57.
4-10-15: 711 Biltmore Ave.: 20 coppers (including 8 wheats), 7 zincs, 4 nickels, 5 dimes, 1 quarter; 37 coins: $1.22
4-11-15: 602 N. 1st St.: 1 copper, 3 zincs, 1959-D dime, 1 quarter; 5 coins: $.39.
4-13-15: Flowers Park: 9:13 AM-9:27 AM: 1 dime; 1 coin: $.10
4-13-15: Dude Park: 2:50 PM-3:23 PM: 1 copper (1952-D wheatie), 1 nickel, 3 dimes, 2 quarters; 7 coins: $.86.
4-15-15: Lorna Ave.: 9:54 AM-11:05 AM: Very bad interference with the Ace 350. Had to switch to the Treasure Ave 300, which didn't chatter nearly as much (due to low power line in the back yard). 10 coppers, 10 zincs, 3 coppers, 2 dimes; 24 coins; $.55. Also found a silver 1902 Edward VII British 5 cents.
IMG_0158.JPG
4-16-15: City View Park: 12:26 PM-3:00 PM: 10 coppers, 1 zinc, 2 nickels, 10 dimes, 6 quarters; 29 coins: $1.71.
4-17-15: Dude Park: 9:15 AM-10:10 AM: 2 coppers, 2 dimes, 1 Canadian penny; 4 coins: $.21. Also found a cheap but interesting ring.
4-18-15: vacant lots, corner of Bonanza & 13th St.: 6:05 AM-7:10 AM: 6 coppers (including a 1953-S wheatie), 1 zinc, 3 nickels, 5 dimes, 3 quarters; 18 coins: $1.46. Also found a nice Connecticut tourist spoon (probably silver plated) and a large aluminum bead/marble.
4-20-15: 2:23 PM-3:23 PM: Dude Park: 2 zincs, 1 nickel, 1 dime; 4 coins: $.17.
4-20-15: 5:10 PM-6:10 PM: Children's Memorial Park: 1 copper, 4 dimes; 5 coins: $.41.
4-21-15 5:55 AM-7:05 AM: vacant lot, 13th & Bonanza: 7 coppers (including a 1956-S wheatie), 1 zinc, 4 dimes; 12 coins: $.48
4-22-15: 9:50 AM-1:30 PM: several houses in the Biltmore subdivision near Bonanza & 1st & 4th St: 14 coppers (including 2 wheaties), 2 zincs, 1 nickel, 1 dime, 5 quarters; 23 coins: $1.54.
4-27-15: 3:20 PM-4:20 PM: 1026 I St.: 6 coppers, 1 dime; 7 coins: $.16
4-28-15: 1:15 PM-2:45 PM: 611 N. 11th St.: 12 coppers (1 wheatie), 2 nickels, 9 dimes, 1 quarter 1956; 33 coins: $1.46.
4-29-15: 11:12 AM-12:14 PM: City View Park: 4 zincs, 1 nickel, 6 dimes, 3 quarters; 14 coins: $1.44.
4-29-15: 3:02 PM-3:22 PM: Dude Park: 1 dime; 1 coin: $.10
4-30-15: 11:00 AM-1:30 PM: 636 9th St.: 5 coppers (1 wheatie), 2 zincs, 1 nickel, 2 dimes (including a1963-D. Also found a 14k gold-plated man's bracelet, and an aluminum dinosaur token.
5-1-15: 9:55 AM-10:30 AM: 3 coppers (1 wheatie), 1 zinc, 1 nickel, 2 dimes, 1 quarter; 8 coins: $.54.
5-2-15: 5:40 AM-7:00 AM: vacant lots, corner of Washington & MLK: appear to have been detected before: 3 coppers, 1 dime; 4 coins: $.14
5-2-15: Park, Deer Springs/Buffalo: 11:15 am-12:10 pm: 4 zincs; 2 dimes; 5 quarters; 11 coins: $1.49
5-4-15: Wakura Park: 5:20 AM-6:50 AM: 8 coppers, 1 zinc, 6 dimes, 4 quarters; 19 coins: $1.69.
5-4-15: 38 N 8th St & vacant lot, 600 block (E side) 10th St: 11 coppers, 24 zincs, 4 nickels, 7 dimes, 2 quarters; 48 coins: $1.75. Also found a key, a small metal button (old) and a cheap earring.
5-5-15: vacant lots, Balzar Ave.: 2:30 PM-4:10 PM: 9 coppers, 14 zincs, 1 dime; 24 coins: $.33. Also found 2 keys.
5-7-15: 2747 Stanley Ave.: 1:30 PM-2:50 PM: 14 coppers (including 1 wheatie), 1 zinc, 1 nickel, 5 dimes (including 1942, 1956-D, and 1958-D, 3 quarters; 25 coins: $1.45.
5-9-15: 2747 Stanley Ave., 609 N. 10th St.: 10 coppers (including 3 wheaties), 4 zincs, 1 nickel, 1 quarter; 16 coins: $.39
5-11-15: 2300 Poplar Ave.: 1:45 PM-3:00 PM: 11 coppers (including 1 wheatie), 1 zinc, 9 dimes (including 1924, 1943-S, 1961-D); 21 coins; $1.02.
5-12-15: Nebraska Ave.: 1:30 PM-2:55 PM: 19 coppers (including 2 wheaties), 2 zincs, 2 dimes, 1 quarter; 26 coins: $.66. Also found a video game token.
5-13-15: 1905 Santa Paula Ave.: 11:30 PM-12:45 PM: 12 coppers (including 1 wheatie), 4 zincs, 2 nickels 4 dimes, 3 quarter; 27 coins: $1.40. Also fund a Canadian penny, and a copper necklace.
5-15-15: 2410 Poplar Ave.: 1:55-3:00 PM: 10 coppers (including wheatie), 2 nickels; 12 coins: $20.
5-16-15: blacktop tear out, E. Bonanza Ave., MR: 5:15 AM-6:45 AM: (blacktop tear out was a bust): 9 coppers (including 1 wheatie), nickel dimes; 13 coins: $.44.
5-18-15: 1108 Arrowhead Ave.: 1:00 PM-3:00 PM: 17 coppers (including 4 wheaties), 3 zincs, 2 nickels, 6 dimes (including a 1924-S mercury dime), 4 quarters; 31 coins: $1.90.
5-19-15: 3016 Turquoise Ave: 19 coppers (including 2 wheaties), 10 zincs, 3 nickels, 8 dimes, 2 quarters; 42 coins: $1.74. Also found an interesting ring.
5-21-15: Tumbleweed Ave., 3017 Vegas Dr.: 1 PM-3 PM: 19 coppers, 3 zincs, 2 nickels, 6 dimes, 3 quarters, and a Chuck E. Cheese token; 46 coins: $1.87. Also found a ring.
5-22-15: 864 Kansas Ave.: 36 coppers (including 1 wheatie), 8 zincs, 4 dimes, plus 1 Chester Arthur presidential token; 49 coins: $.84.
5-25-15: Wakura Park: 4:58 AM-6:59 AM: 12 coppers, 1 nickel, 5 dimes, 5 quarters; 23 coins: $1.92.
5-26-15: McMillan/F St.: 1:00 PM-2:30 PM: 3 coppers, 2 zincs: 5 coins: $.05. Site apparently already hunted out.
5-29-15: Dude Park baseball field: 3:05-3:16 PM: 2 zincs; 2 coins: $.02.
5-30-15: MR: 5:15 AM- 7:00 AM: 17 coppers (including 3 wheaties), 2 nickels, 8 dimes (including 1940-D, 1949-S, 1956-D, 3 quarters (including1962-D. Also found a sterling silver ring and a Burger King token.
5-30-15: 3:00-4:00 PM: Mesquite Ave./Maryland Pkwy: 3 coppers, 1 zinc, 3 dimes, 2 quarters; 9 coins: $.84. Also found a key; 30 coins: $1.82. Also found a casino chip.

GRAND TOTALS: 3223 coins; $167.02, 24 silver coins, 5 pieces of silver jewelry, 115 wheaties

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Silverslug

Aug 14, 2014
Nevada
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
6-1-15: 2:25 PM- 4:30 PM: Mesquite Ave./Maryland Pkwy: 2:25 PM-4:30 PM: 22 coppers, 7 zincs, 9 nickels, 13 dimes, 7 quarters. Also found an 1896 Russian 50 Rupeka and a Continental Hotel/Casino token; 59 coins: $3.79.
6-2-15: 1:42 PM-3:02 PM: Wakura Park: 6 coppers, 1 zinc, 4 dimes, 3 quarters; 14 coins: $1.22.
6-3-15: 5:02 AM-6:52 AM: 15th St./I-15: 11 coppers (including 1 wheatie), 1 nickel, 2 dimes, 1 quarter; 16 coins: $.62. Also found a gold plated ring.
6-3-15: 1:24 PM- 2:54 PM: 15th St./I-15 & 13th St./Mesquite Ave.: 6 quarters, 6 dimes, 1 nickel, 12 coppers (including 1 wheatie), 4 zincs; 29 coins: $2.31.

GRAND TOTALS: 3341 coins; $174.96, 25 silver coins, 5 pieces of silver jewelry, 118 wheaties.

Last edited:

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
6-1-15: 2:25 PM- 4:30 PM: Mesquite Ave./Maryland Pkwy: 2:25 PM-4:30 PM: 22 coppers, 7 zincs, 9 nickels, 13 dimes, 7 quarters. Also found an 1896 Russian 50 Rupeka and a Continental Hotel/Casino token; 59 coins: $3.79.
6-2-15: 1:42 PM-3:02 PM: Wakura Park: 6 coppers, 1 zinc, 4 dimes, 3 quarters; 14 coins: $$1.22.

GRAND TOTALS: 3296 coins; $172.03, 25 silver coins, 5 pieces of silver jewelry, 116 wheaties.

Cool thread.
I started at the beginning when you couldn't hit any silver. It reminds me of myself when I started. I was wondering where all the silver was.

Now you got 25 silvers and some really nice coin pics.
congrats.

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I stopped even counting them after about a month of detecting.
If I added all the zincoln's I've thrown away my penny count would be at least a 3rd higher.

I HATE those things. I would rather dig pull tabs. At least with pull tab signals you get lucky once in a while and score some GOLD; not to mention lots of nickels.

Last edited:

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

The more I read the more you sound like me.
I bought all of my machines used through Craigslist. My first one was a Tracker IV for a whopping 30 bucks. My 2nd was a BH Pioneer 202 for 75.00, my 3rd was a Rat Shack Land Star clone for 25.00 (a great machine btw) and I shelled out the really big bucks for my Tek Delta 4000; 175.00. So I have a grand total of 330 bucks in 4 detectors and they have ALL found great treasure. The 202 is my least favorite but it found me 4 silver coins in one day so it's still a keeper.

But like yourself, I almost never pay retail unless I really have to. There's just no reason to. SO many people buy metal detectors and once they realize you actually have to WORK a little and maybe even git a little dirty, give it up and practically GIVE these machines away. I've picked up quite a few nice guitars the exact same way over the years.

I actually broke down bought my first brand new piece of equipment this morning; a Deteknix X Pointer because with as much hunting I do it was time. Well, I did buy a couple of cheap Cen-tech pinpointers last year but they don't really count because they're SO cheap. They'll be relegated to back up status and for handing out to the kids I take hunting sometimes. With a few relatively simple mods, they're actually quite functional.

I also found a used Garrett Pro Pointer on Craigslist for 75 bucks 2 days ago. But, when I actually saw it, it was so beat to hell my gut told me to stay away from that one. It's too bad. So. I just decided to bite the bullet and get something new for a change.

Keep up the good work btw.

Last edited:

david680

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2014
Salem, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting. Looks like the older finds are picking up. Love the Straits Settlements 5 Cent piece.

BennyBacon

May 31, 2015
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 2200
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How much clad all together?....Sorry I lazy......Amazing haul...I would buy a pinpointer, sand scoop, Detecter case, pinpointer case and a cutting shovel.....That's what I might buy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions