SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It has been a long, cool summer here in Minnesota, and the water detecting hasn't been great. Twenty hours hunting every single week of the summer and until this week all I had to show for it was one small gold ring, one silver ring and one gigantic gold earring, and many days bringing home a single coin. Sunday's hunt was no different - two hours in the cold water and a quarter to show for it. Freezing cold, I finished my daily hunt as I normally do, detecting the beach sand until I am dry enough to get into the car. Usually the sand is good for a few more quarters, but it has been years since I found gold in the sand. I was standing still digging an iffy target in the towel area and I glanced to one side and saw quite clearly the outline of a ring against the sand. Turned out to be a nice thick mans 14k gold band. I thought it was likely that the ring had been left on a blanket and then forgotten. And if the husband took his ring off, perhaps the wife did too. So I started to grid around the ring and sure enough, pulled out the 14k engagement ring only a half foot away. Hunted for another 45 minutes looking for the wedding ring that should have gone with the engagement ring but couldn't find it. Went home, warmed up and went back again to do a wider search, but no luck. Came back again on Monday with my land machine, going over the same stretch of beach and nothing.

Wednesday after my water hunt, I couldn't resist one more try for the wedding band so back to the same spot on the beach, barely moving, digging the tiniest of signals the Tiger Shark produced. Got a soft, soft hit and pulled up a broken gold chain, but quickly saw the plating was wearing off. Only a few inches away another super soft signal, which I thought was likely the other part of the chain. Pulled one scoop of sand and now the target was sounding really good. Scraped away a little bit of sand and I was staring at the beautiful, beautiful sight of nearly pure gold. I have found one of these before, so I knew what I had found even before I pulled it out and saw the distinctive snake clasp of a 23k Thai necklace. This necklace weighs in at 7.7 grams, which makes it a 1/2 Baht necklace, which retails for around $600. My gold tester only goes to 18k and it did hit that.

Just a great way to end a frustrating summer. And for those wondering, I have been actively trying to locate the owner of the wedding rings but nothing so far.

Attachments

• Mans Band2.jpg
    Mans Band2.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 224
  • Diamond.jpg
    Diamond.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 236
  • Thai Baht Necklace.jpg
    Thai Baht Necklace.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 255
Last edited:
Upvote 20

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow, wow, wow, wow, and wow! Good for you! Hard work paid off. 23k! Stunner! Congratulations.:notworthy:

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
well Susan, looks like you found the loot! congrats on the spectacular gold! what a way to end a drought! holy cow and all of that!

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good for you !
A lot of perseverance for sure, you got your just reward.
I've never had a day like that, but then again I don't water hunt nearly enough, and I do have the stuff (head scratch)

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not sure which item is prettiest. I'm gonna have to vote for that gorgeous chain and pendant. Congratulations!!!

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice digs and thanks for those pictures

pl8man

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2009
San Jose , California
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT PRO with Sunray probe, M6 with a Super 12 coil & a Whites Quantum II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look at all that sweet gold ! Congrats

geologyjohn

Mar 18, 2009
West edge of the U.S.
Detector(s) used
WW2 mine detector, D-Tex Standard, D-Tex Deluxe, A.H. Pro Discriminator, various Whites, Fisher 1265-X, Fisher 1270, Fisher F75, Fisher Gold Bug,Tesoro Sand Shark. And maybe others that I forgot?
That's the way it is with metal detecting. Sometimes you have a long drought, and then when you are not quite expecting it, you make your best find(s) of the year. And in this case, you worked long and hard to make these great gold finds. Good Job!!! John

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Some very nice scoops there, will be hard to beat that day for a good while !! Big congrats on the Gold scores !!

foilfinder

Jul 15, 2014
Ardmore Ok.
Detector(s) used
Sovereign/WOT,Goldquest,DFX,Tesoro DeLeon,
Fisher Impulse.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent finds!...Well deserved after a long cold winter, Congrats.

RJ55

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2014
western NC
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Way to go. Sweet finds

UnderMiner

Silver Member