3 Silver Day Plus a War Nickel and 3 Wheaties- Silver Spot Produces Yet Again........

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So I finally got back to my sweet silver spot and I certainly didn't leave disappointed at all.

I managed to find a 1948 Silver Washington Quarter and my first two Silver Rosies, a 1956 and a 1957.

3 Silver Day August 24, 2014 001.JPG

I also found 3 Wheaties, a 1944, a 1945 and a 1953 D along with a 1945 war Nickel and a 1946 Nickel. They're in rough shape but hey, they've been underground in hard, nasty clay for a while.

3 Silver Day August 24, 2014 002.JPG

I got a heavy mystery metal ball I thought was a sinker at first (possible old Steely marble??), a few old .22 shells and the usual miscellaneous clad. There are shells everywhere because this location was once a hunt club for wealthy people escaping the city.

Some of the clad are early 60's- 70's and I got one 1965 Washington; close but no cigar. I have a total of 40 coins for the day. The 202 is definitely a coin machine and I really love ending the day with a nice jingle.

3 Silver Day August 24, 2014 003.JPG

I've now pulled 7 silver coins from this spot and I haven't even begun to hunt it.

I guess I can now say that my BH Pioneer 202 is officially vindicated. That's funny 'cause a few days ago I was ready to sell it. I've been unwittingly using it with a malfunction since I got it but thanks to a Treasurenet member by the name of FixItDave, I got it straightened out and it's working perfectly.

This was also my last opportunity to get into this spot until spring. By then I hope to have my upgrade and I'll go back over every inch. I'm dying to know if I missed anything. I have a gut feeling that there's more there.

My first trip yielded 4 silvers and two nice gold and silver rings. I was using my BH Tracker IV at that point. I believe my 202 got a few things I missed that day because I went over the same spots and hit more silver and other stuff. I definitely missed those Rosies the first time around. There was no jewelry today but I'm certainly not complaining.

Also, one of those Rosies was over 9 inches down in extremely hard clay under wet sand. I mean it was packed really tight and very hard to dig. I was shocked I picked it up given what I have read as well as heard about the 202 here and elsewhere. I've heard that they hate wet sand and are only good to about 5-6 inches. Well, I guess I got my hands on a really good one or something.

I have to say, it performed beautifully and didn't let me down. The deep signal wasn't real strong but it was high, clear and consistent. I'm glad I dug that one.

I can only imagine how frustrating it would have been had my machine still been malfunctioning.
Thanks again FixitDave. I owe you one.

I also had to hunt with no pinpointer because there was no time to fix mine. That'll be tomorrow's project. I just reverted to my pre pinpointer tactics and kept digging.

I have to say that today was an absolutely awesome day. Both of my sons were with me, we went swimming and hung out and I got to hunt treasure. Got treasure and more great memories. How great is that??

Thanks for takin' a look and Happy Hunting.

Last edited:
Upvote 4

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup that hunt does not suck :-) great finds

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
pretty darn good hunt! congrats and we do have some awesome people on this forum, some can be a little sour here and there but over all really helpful and encouraging. that was really deep on that rosie, then fun with the boys as a bonus

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Awesome hunt my man. Congrats on FOUR silvers.... the war nickel counts as a silver... it's 40% silver. Good job!

OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome hunt my man. Congrats on FOUR silvers.... the war nickel counts as a silver... it's 40% silver. Good job!

I didn't even think about counting the war nickel but hey, 35% is still silver I guess. The signal definitely didn't sound like a regular nickel. It was much higher.
If I can find two more that will be 105%.

Damn, I'm happier now. The hunt just got even better.

Last edited:

Danwell

Feb 7, 2014
FB,TX
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What kind of problem did you have with the 202. I have one that my father has been using and he said it makes erratic signals or just shuts off.

OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What kind of problem did you have with the 202. I have one that my father has been using and he said it makes erratic signals or just shuts off.

The connector where the coil plugs into the box was slightly but not noticeably loose and dirty; the actual female end of the plug assembly. It doesn't take much to throw it off. I had to loosen it, remove it, clean it, re center it and tighten it. It's like a completely different machine now. I can't believe the improvement.

I don't know why his would be shutting down. That sounds like another problem but you never know. He may have a bad switch.

One thing that will make it get crazy erratic is if the sensitivity is up too high or if you're in an area with any type of electromagnetic interference (or both). It's a a sensitive machine and sometimes you have no choice but to back off on the sensitivity depending on where you are. If you're far away from everything you can usually crank it all the way up. If you can't, try backing to about 3 O'clock and if that doesn't work, back it to 1 O'clock or to wherever it calms down. You'll lose a bit of depth at the lower settings but it does make a huge difference. In some areas you really have no choice.

I was hunting one day and it suddenly went really crazy out of the blue. I topped a hill and saw a cell phone tower across the woods. It was definitely interfering with the operation of the machine. It was just going nuts with random tones and signals, in a major way, even when I wasn't swinging it. It was just sitting on the ground going absolutely crazy.

Another common problem is a battery or battery wire problem. Mine had a nick in one of the battery wires which I taped up. I also taped the wires together on either side to make them stronger and more stable. I just don't like the way they're just all jumbled up inside the battery case. I don't know if it helped but I know it didn't hurt. I would check those wires for nicks and/or shorts. If that fails check the power/battery connections to the actual board. Also, use alkaline batteries. It does make a difference but wouldn't cause it to shut down. Power is still power.

The way those battery wires and connections are designed makes it very easy to pull them too hard and possibly loosen or mess up the connections. Also, make sure that the batteries are making good contact with the actual plugs/connectors where they snap in. If they're too loose they can cause problems.

From what I understand, these are all common problems with BH machines. I couldn't believe the difference in mine from simply cleaning, re seating and tightening the plug. It was like night and day.

Those are the areas I would start with. I know how frustrating it is to have a malfunctioning machine. It can pretty much ruin your hunting time.

If none of those fixes work, post a detailed explanation of the problem here. Someone may be able to help you.

I'm no electronics expert and I know next to nothing about the internal operation of the board itself but I do know switches, connections and batteries.

I'm extremely fortunate that mine was an easy fix. I hope yours is as well.
Good luck & Happy Hunting

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread