THE STREAK IS OVER>>>ETRAC FINALLY COMES THRU

pacecapital

Jul 14, 2014
Oneida New York
Detector(s) used
ETRAC, Garrett 2500, Garrett Pro, Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
after 1 year, many hours and after a coin roll hunt yielded me 10 silver half dollars, I was ready to give up metal detecting..............but today, 1936 and 1943 pristine mercs, a 1943 war nick....and a infantry medal has put the fever back on.......but I Noticed my etrac was a little all over the place on the readings...and I think because of this I have gone over many silvers before.........my readings varied from 9-49 to 16-48 on the mercs...and the war nick was 15-21, usually and I was expecting a pull tab...any suggestions guys

Upvote 6

joncooper1986

Jul 31, 2014
Westhampton, MA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 4.0 9" coil, 11" coil, WS4 w/ Detecting Doodads headphones, MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome finds! The next thing you need to find with your detector is a camera so we can see some of these beauties!:occasion14:

OP
OP
P

pacecapital

Jul 14, 2014
Oneida New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
trying to upload them now, don't know how

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
after 1 year, many hours and after a coin roll hunt yielded me 10 silver half dollars, I was ready to give up metal detecting..............but today, 1936 and 1943 pristine mercs, a 1943 war nick....and a infantry medal has put the fever back on.......but I Noticed my etrac was a little all over the place on the readings...and I think because of this I have gone over many silvers before.........my readings varied from 9-49 to 16-48 on the mercs...and the war nick was 15-21, usually and I was expecting a pull tab...any suggestions guys
We here in ny have very high mineralized soil. Upstate even worse. Your etrac did just fine. Look at your second numbers, 49-48, always told you silver was there. Yea the first number jumps a bit( can't tell if quarter, or dime) but the second number always told you silver. Learn the tones on your etrac and you will know what you got in no time. GL HH Mike

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tape over the numbers & listern/dig more.

wanting rings

Aug 9, 2014
Muskegon
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro(main), White's adjustable sand scoop, Bounty Hunter quick Draw(back up 1), Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Garrett Ace 250(kids), & a tracker IV(Kids)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is awesome, congrats. HH

madforclad

May 7, 2014
Hunting previously pounded sites
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac, Minelab X Terra 705, Garrett AT Pro with 5" x 8" coil, Fisher F2, Garrett Pro Pointer, RTG 710 Scoop.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Were you using TTF?

OP
OP
P

pacecapital

Jul 14, 2014
Oneida New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Starting to learn that Crusader, I think I have left a lot of silver because I relied to heavily on the numbers,,,,at some point when I was pinpointing these finds, the etrac at least once told me these were iron, however, I am still having problems listening for those deep tones

OP
OP
P

pacecapital

Jul 14, 2014
Oneida New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
TTF?----audio was on pitch hold if that is what you were asking

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Starting to learn that Crusader, I think I have left a lot of silver because I relied to heavily on the numbers,,,,at some point when I was pinpointing these finds, the etrac at least once told me these were iron, however, I am still having problems listening for those deep tones

I'm not being funny, the more you dig & listern - the better the results. Don't trust what the machine tellls you, thats a sales tactic.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Crusader is absolutely correct!!! I only look at the numbers as a reference. It's the sounds that I pay attention to.

But I come from a detecting era when sound was what you had and no VDI... Those sweet whispers, slow down and listen, and you shall hear!

staydetuned

Aug 27, 2007
San Francisco, California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II
As others have said, tones first, numbers second. If you're new to the hobby, dig most everything until you have hundreds of hours of experience that will guide you more accurately. And coins or targets that would ID perfectly numbers-wise were dug out of the ground long ago. 80% of good coins, especially at depth, will not read the numbers they're "supposed to". But the tonal range will generally be consistent with a Minelab, shallow and deep.

Also, war nickels hit ALL OVER the place, in numbers and tone. They're an anomaly.

madforclad

May 7, 2014
Hunting previously pounded sites
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac, Minelab X Terra 705, Garrett AT Pro with 5" x 8" coil, Fisher F2, Garrett Pro Pointer, RTG 710 Scoop.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TTF?----audio was on pitch hold if that is what you were asking

TTF is Two Tone Ferrous. It is an audio function that allows the eTrac to produce 2 distinct tones...one for ferrous targets such as iron and one for non ferrous targets such as gold and silver. A low tone denotes a highly ferrous target having a high FE number whereas a high pitched tone denotes a nonferrous target having a low FE number. You will find this in the AUDIO menu. There are also functions for conductive properties as well.

OP
OP
P

pacecapital

Jul 14, 2014
Oneida New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have been hunting under conductive, do you think I should switch to TTF?

testing123

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2009
United States
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, TDI SL
I have been hunting under conductive, do you think I should switch to TTF?

You should at least test it out. I think the original TTF question was asked is because in "regular" multi-tone settings, a 16-48 should never be passed up. In TTF, a merc sounds the same as a piece of foil. I tried TTF a few times, and in highly iron-infested areas it drove me crazy. Everyone should experience it though.

The signal that is portrayed on the detector (not in TTF) is dependent on a lot of factors such as size, shape and metal type. Gold can even sound like a Zincoln.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions