Good to be back! + incedible once in a liftime relic find!

ncsilverspider

Jul 24, 2011
Rowan County, NC
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizim III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good to be back! + incedible once in a liftime relic find! (UPDATED: CLEANED!)

Hello everyone!

It has been awhile since I posted on here, and by awhile, I mean over two years... life got extremely busy. I've been wanting to come back for a long time, but just wasn't able to for various reasons.

Hunting's been slow due to detector issues, so I've mainly been hunting bottles and looking on the ground, which actually produces some of my best finds. it certainly did recently.

As I posted ages ago, I live along the double track mainline of Norfolk Southern's Piedmont Division, ex- Southern Railway. Recently, many of the old Southern signals have been replaced with newer signals. A lot of ground has been moved in order to put these new signals up, which has turned up several interesting relics, including something I've dreamed of for years.

The city of Salisbury was the site of many a fight during the Civil War, including a Confederate prison. While most things were found/destroyed during construction of the railroad, a few things survived. Recently I was train watching in Salisbury where workers had finished putting up a signal a few hours earlier. While walking back to my car, I saw an odd round ball with a hole in the top. I pulled it out of the ground and saw that it had apparently exploded. It was heavy iron and pitted. I had my suspicion but didn't get my hopes up. Nether the less, I had it checked by a Civil War expert. Turns out my suspicion was correct. It's the remains of a six inch borman fuse cannonball once containing grape shot. Never did I expect to find a 65% percent complete cannonball, let alone WITH MY EYES!

the cannonball is currently in electrolysis to preserve it. Here's a pic of me holding it before starting it

. 2014-08-18_11-37-45_639.jpg

I just wanted to share and return to this awesome site. Hopefully I will be able to post here more often. thanks for looking and God Bless!

-ncsilverspider

"For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also" - Mathew 6:21

Last edited:
Upvote 15

treasurehunter313

Apr 29, 2014
PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find. I also like your quote at the bottom. It really resonates with me right now

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Fantastic find. Had I gone over that with my detector I probably wouldn't have dug it.......LOL So great eyeball find.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A Great Eyeball Find Indeed.
Very Cool.

RJ55

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2014
western NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cool find, congrats

parsonwalker

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2013
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Modified GI Mine Detector (In the 60s)
Metrotech (In the 70s)
Tesoro Tejon (Now!)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice frag with the fuse hole intact . . . !

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
double wow! awesome find!

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Ncsilverspider wrote:
> It's the remains of a six inch borman fuse cannonball once containing grape shot.

NCS, just trying to help you correctly ID your find. There's no such thing as a "6-inch" cannonball, so if somebody told you that's what it is, he misinformed you. There was a "6-Pounder caliber" cannonball, whose diameter was 3.58-inches. Based on its apparent size in your hand in the photo, I think you did find an exploded 6-Pounder cannonball.

Also, it did not contain "Grapehot" antipersonnel balls. Those are much larger balls than the balls in an explosive artillery shell. Yours contained what were called "Case-Shot" balls.

Also, the diameter of a Bormann fuze is 1.5"-to-1.6-inches. The size of the fuze-hole in your photo doesn't look that large... although, of course, rust-encrustation can make the hole a bit smaller. Please measure its diameter, minus the rust-encrustation, and tell us the measurement.

The photo posted below shows what a "cleaned" dug Bormann-fuzed cannonball's fuze-hole looks like. Please note that the smaller hole is approximately 1/2-inch lower than the 1.5-inch hole. I'm asking for precise measurements of your shell's fuzehole because it might have held a Confederate copper fuzeplug. The hole for that type of fuzeplug is a bit smaller, being about 1.25-inches wide at the top, with a 1/4"-deep stepdown to a .95"-wide threaded hole.

Attachments

• shell_12-pounder_Bormann-fuzed_FUZE-MISSING_UNDERPLUG-MISSING_photobyRelicman_A1797A.jpg
    shell_12-pounder_Bormann-fuzed_FUZE-MISSING_UNDERPLUG-MISSING_photobyRelicman_A1797A.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 140
Last edited:
OP
OP
ncsilverspider

ncsilverspider

Jul 24, 2011
Rowan County, NC
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizim III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ncsilverspider wrote:
> It's the remains of a six inch borman fuse cannonball once containing grape shot.

NCS, just trying to help you correctly ID your find. There's no such thing as a "6-inch" cannonball, so if somebody told you that's what it is, he misinformed you. There was a "6-Pounder caliber" cannonball, whose diameter was 3.58-inches. Based on its apparent size in your hand in the photo, I think you did find an exploded 6-Pounder cannonball.

Also, it did not contain "Grapehot" antipersonnel balls. Those are much larger balls than the balls in an explosive artillery shell. Yours contained what were called "Case-Shot" balls.

Also, the diameter of a Bormann fuze is 1.5"-to-1.6-inches. The size of the fuze-hole in your photo doesn't look that large... although, of course, rust-encrustation can make the hole a bit smaller. Please measure its diamter, minus the rust-encrustation, and tell us the measurement.

The photo posted below shows what a "cleaned" dug Bormann-fuzed cannonball's fuze-hole looks like. Please note that the smaller hole is approximately 1/2-inch lower than the 1.5-inch hole. I'm asking for precise measurements of your shell's fuzehole because it might have held a Confederate copper fuzeplug. The hole for that type of fuzeplug is a bit smaller, being about 1.25-inches wide at the top, with a 1/4"-deep stepdown to a .95"-wide threaded hole.

I sincerely appreciate your information in regards to the size, type and contents of this cannonball. As soon as we take it out of electrolysis I will measure the fuse hole. Thank you again. :)

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

mangum

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Charlotte, North Carolina
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, MXT Pro Back-up
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man, that's an awesome eye spy, I love cannonballs! I'm in Charlotte & have an extra detector if you get the itch to get out!

OP
OP
ncsilverspider

ncsilverspider

Jul 24, 2011
Rowan County, NC
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizim III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man, that's an awesome eye spy, I love cannonballs! I'm in Charlotte & have an extra detector if you get the itch to get out!

Thanks magnum! We're planning on cleaning it on Sunday. Will post pics once done.

You're in Charlotte? What part? I'm in Spencer/Salisbury. Would love to meet up sometime. :)

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
glad you had your eye's open.killer finD!You need to get that detector back in action.

OP
OP
ncsilverspider

ncsilverspider

Jul 24, 2011
Rowan County, NC
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizim III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Treasure Hunters!

After several little obstacles, I finally managed to clean the cannonball! After letting it sit in electrolysis overnight, we took a wire brush to it and put a thin layer of water sealant on it. Here is the result!

2014-09-02_20-10-06_228.jpg
2014-09-02_20-09-50_146.jpg

For the ones interested in the fuse hole: Width across is 1 1/8 inches, and the depth from the lip to the last thread is approx. 1 inch.

Really happy with how this turned out. Not bad for never having done electrolysis! :) Thanks for checking out! Happy Hunting and God Bless!

-ncsilverspider

"For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." -Matthew 6:21

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you for providing the fuzehole's measurements, and the after-cleaning photos. I've got great news for you. It is not a Bormann-fuzed cannonball. It is a super-rare Confederate 6-Pounder (3.67"-caliber) Sideloader Case-Shot shell. Rarity: On a scale of 1-to-10, with 10 being rarest, it rates a 9. I think I see the threaded hole which held the sideloading plug in your fragment's side, at the 3 o'clock position in the "underside" photo.

The fact that you've got a bit more than 50% of the thin-walled ball means it did not explode, but was broken by an external force, such as an ammunition-chest exploding. You said you found it near railroad tracks. Did an ammunition train get burned at that spot, when the Confederates had to abandon Salisbury?

Last edited:
OP
OP
ncsilverspider

ncsilverspider

Jul 24, 2011
Rowan County, NC
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizim III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for providing the fuzehole's measurements, and the after-cleaning photos. I've got great news for you. It is not a Bormann-fuzed cannonball. It is a super-rare Confederate 6-Pounder (3.67"-caliber) Sideloader Case-Shot shell. Rarity: On a scale of 1-to-10, with 10 being rarest, it rates a 9. I think I see the threaded hole which held the sideloading plug in your fragments side, at the 3 o'clock position in the "underside" photo.

The fact that you've got a bit more than 50% of the thin-walled ball means it did not explode, but was broken by an external force, such as an ammunition-chest exploding. You said you found it near railroad tracks. Did an ammunition train get burned at that spot, when the Confederates had to abandon Salisbury?

:o That's unbelievable... I wish you could see the grin on my face.

It is very possible since those tracks have been there since 1850 and once served the Confederate prison that was here. But I don't know if there's anything recording an ammunition train burning but its possible.

I appreciate all the info you gave me... this is definitely one of my best finds if not the best! Thanks again!! :thumbsup:

Last edited:

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I found the historical info for you. When the Yankees captured Salisbury they burned almost everything, including the Salisbury Arsenal and large stockpiles of Confederate ammunition. Two trainloads of Confederate military supplies escaped just before the surrender, another was captured and destroyed.
Stoneman's Raid: Salisbury and the Yadkin River Bridge
From that webpage's historical reports about the yankee burning of captured Salisbury NC:
Stoneman's second-in command, [yankee] Brig. Gen. Alvan C. Gillem, recorded "from the preceding afternoon up to [2:00 p.m. on the 13th], the air had been constantly rent by the reports of exploding shells and burning [ammunition] magazines.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread