Made a new find today ....... in my curio cabinet!

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
I was doing a little inventory today in my main colonial curio cabinet and noticed what looked like the top of an early spoon handle. Couldn't remember where I dug it at, but it could have come from any of a number of 1600s sites I've hunted. But I do know that it happened quite a few years ago. In the last year I've learned a lot more about early latten and pewter spoons and have acquired some nice reference books. When I first noticed this piece in the case I immediately thought it looked like one of those "apostle" knops from an early latten or pewter spoon. I checked one of my books and that is indeed what it is. Might not look like much, but its a very nice early colonial artifact which will get moved to a more prominent position in the curio. I was pretty confident it was from a latten spoon, and decided to see how it checked out on my detector. It rang out in the 50s on my F75 which is much higher than if it were pewter so that confirmed it was from a latten spoon. My book also said this style of knop was in use from the 1400s through the mid-1600s so its definitely an early piece. I love these kind of surprises, and might have another one shortly. I also found a thin and very gritty and blackened coin-like item in the curio too, and it registered in the 60s. Anything that thin and reading that high has a good shot to be silver. And if so it might be a hammered coin. Its currently undergoing electrolysis, and hopefully I can get enough detail from it to make a positive ID. More later on that.

Attachments

• apostle1.JPG
    apostle1.JPG
    96.5 KB · Views: 111
  • apostle2.JPG
    apostle2.JPG
    94.6 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:
Upvote 4

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Always fun rediscovering a great find buddy. That's a very nice looking piece. It's great that you have so many 17th century sites Bill. Lots of people will never set foot on one. It's also cool and very obvious that you don't take any of this for granted and realize just how special and important these amazing pieces of history really are. You must be excited for the fall man.

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's a really nice find. Congratulations, and thanks for sharing.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a degraded apostle spoon terminal - 17th C

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice surprise for ya Bill, please let us know about the coin like object.
ZDD

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions