Found an Old Lead Toy Solider! Please Help to Identify it!

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found an Old Lead Toy Soldier! Please Help to Identify it!

I found a very old (I think) lead toy soldier this evening about 6 inches down. It's 2 1/4" tall, painted orange and reminds me of Teddy Roosevelt. Unfortunately, he seems to have been fatally wounded! Still a neat find, though.

Here's some pics. Any help as to it's age and manufacturer would be appreciated. Thanks!

lead soldier dirty.JPG lead soldier dirty back.JPG lead soldier clean.JPG lead soldier back clean.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 6

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
very cool lead soldier, awesome find

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice one. Forum member Subterranean is great at IDing these. I'm sure he'll respond with an answer at some point.

jcobb

May 23, 2008
Ft. Worth Tejas
Detector(s) used
CTX3030...AT Pro & Garrett Pro Pointer
Bounty Hunter 505 (Loaner)
looks like the red army to me... Lol jk. Cool find though

Subterranean

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southwest Missouri
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Julio), Garrett AT Max (Medusa), Garrett Pro Pointer, White's Prism V, Lesche Digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey FreeBirdTim, I am strongly leaning toward an identification of your soldier as made by the American Soldier Company, circa 1904-1906. A nearly identical soldier is shown in my reference books and described as catalog number BE5a, "Volunteer Officer or Rough Rider Officer (depending on paint) with oblong base." The slouch hat is even flipped up on the left side like yours. Congrats on the great find, and where there is one, there may be more! Sub 8-)

OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey FreeBirdTim, I am strongly leaning toward an identification of your soldier as made by the American Soldier Company, circa 1904-1906. A nearly identical soldier is shown in my reference books and described as catalog number BE5a, "Volunteer Officer or Rough Rider Officer (depending on paint) with oblong base." The slouch hat is even flipped up on the left side like yours. Congrats on the great find, and where there is one, there may be more! Sub

Wow! That would be amazing if I actually found a 110 year old toy soldier! Guess I'll be going back to that spot tomorrow!

I tried to find a picture of one like it with a Google image search, but came up empty. There's a similar one on eBay, but that one isn't orange. It's multi-colored and the seller thinks it's from the 1920's. It must be fairly rare if I can't find one on eBay.

joncooper1986

Jul 31, 2014
Westhampton, MA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 4.0 9" coil, 11" coil, WS4 w/ Detecting Doodads headphones, MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
looks like he was shot in the chest! poor little guy...

nice grab!

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I used to shoot my plastic soldiers with my bb gun when I was a kid. Your solder is a really nice find.

OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The poor guy has four holes in him! Two in the base, one on the side of his head and the gut shot hole. The smaller three holes have been there since he was made, I guess. It's definitely a crude lead soldier.

I wonder why they painted him orange? Seems like a strange color choice for a soldier!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread