Connecticut Copper, 10 More Buttons, Nice Relics

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a strange day yesterday was. Got up at 4:30 and headed out with my canoe. It was an incredibly beautiful morning. For those who never see this time of day I took a couple pics. It's worth it to get up early....trust me
image.jpg
image.jpg
Got my canoe unloaded and headed out to the island. Hiked into my colonial hot spot and started swinging. Prob my 4th hole I'm digging some dirt out and felt a pinch on my wrist. I though I had thorn stuck in my glove but it turned out to be a yellow jacket. Got me twice on the wrist. I'm very allergic to these guys and my epipen was in my lunch box which I left at my job site. So I sat down and put some wet dirt on it and just relaxed for a bit. Usually I can take one or two stings without needing an emergency room. This is what my hand looked like about 8 hours after the sting. It was much bigger at one point. No fun
image.jpg
image.jpg
Finally to the finds. I found 10 more buttons today bringing the total from this site up to 25. Here's a couple pics of the nicer ones and a group pic of all of them together
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
I found my first Connecticut state copper as well. 1787
image.jpg
image.jpg
I found a nice little shoe buckle piece that perhaps went with one of the frames that I previously found out there
image.jpg
This tiny little silver spoon handle with letters scratched into it I perhaps my favorite find
image.jpg
image.jpg
This last piece I found on my walk back to the canoe. This spoon could prove to be significant if it's as old as I believe it may be. I know there was some mid to late 17th century activity out there and if this spoon is from that time period it may have given me the location of my next site to hunt. So I know some of you will know the age and let me know. Thanks in advance
image.jpg
image.jpg

image.jpg

Upvote 18
OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another successful hunt! I'm so due to find a CT copper!

Your self-describing yourself as an idiot I will actually have to agree with for real if you don't better prepare yourself for your next hunt seeing that hand! And it was worse than that? Damn. It makes you wonder how many people are allergic but have never been stung and have no idea. A few more random placed stings and think you would likely make a good 1920s circus freak. :laughing7:

Circus Freak ay! Yeah I can picture that. Or a kid that ate way too much cake lol. This is a fun site and I was glad to find the Connecticut. I've got a Mass and this Conn. Got a few to go. My years up in a couple weeks and I'm trying to get as much swinging in as possible. Need my 1600s coin. That old ass spoon gives me a but of hope. Tiny lil bit

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds! Congrats! Except for the little yellow guy! Beautiful sunrise pics too!

You should pack some Benadryl gel caps with your detecting stuff, if you forget the epi pen you have back up.
I had an anaphylactoid reaction so I carry Benadryl on me at all times the Epi-pen is too temp sensitive, so far Bees aren't my problem, an unknown lawn /pest chemical is!

Be careful out there, especially if your alone.
Hello Ms Beep. Yes they're a pain in the butt, I need a little reminder now and then not to leave my epipen behind. The first time I found out I was allergic I was deep in the woods. Got stuck 8 or 10 times and stopped breathing about 30 seconds before the hospital. Woke up a bit later to the rush or pure epinephrine coursing through my veins. Strange feeling going from almost dead to feeling like you can fly lol
Be careful out there my dear. We need our Ms Beep around to keep the rest of us smiling and positive

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds there Ahab, I was out bush wacking today looking for a 17th C site but had no luck. I did how ever see a yellow jacket hive, I am glad I saw it befor I walked into it. Take care buddy.

ZDD

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Abe - congrats on your copper and buttons, but what really got my attention was that early spoon bowl. That's definitely one of those "fig" shaped bowls (with a little lopsided shape) from a spoon that was in common use in the 17th century. However, most of those style spoons were made in latten (an alloy of roughly 75% copper and 25% zinc with a little iron thrown in) , and pewter ones like yours are much less common although it depends on the particular variety of spoon. You can read about that more in the Old Base Metal Spoons book you have. With something of that age being found at your site that opens up the opportunity for some very early finds to be recovered, maybe even a hammered coin. BTW - that monogrammed spoon handle is cool too, and likely dates to the 1700s.

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Abe - congrats on your copper and buttons, but what really got my attention was that early spoon bowl. That's definitely one of those "fig" shaped bowls (with a little lopsided shape) from a spoon that was in common use in the 17th century. However, most of those style spoons were made in latten (an alloy of roughly 75% copper and 25% zinc with a little iron thrown in) , and pewter ones like yours are much less common although it depends on the particular variety of spoon. You can read about that more in the Old Base Metal Spoons book you have. With something of that age being found at your site that opens up the opportunity for some very early finds to be recovered, maybe even a hammered coin. BTW - that monogrammed spoon handle is cool too, and likely dates to the 1700s.
Bill I knew right when I saw that spoon that it was an early one. That could prove to be the most important find of the day and has my full attention. This was at a totally different part of the island so it could be an indicator of a nice 17th century site. We shall see my friend. I appreciate the info as always

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dont know how I missed ur thread??
Ur 1600's wiliam and mary farthing is waiting for you out there..And thats just the start.. Could be a cob??
Nice hunt sorry you had to end it early..
George

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dont know how I missed ur thread?? Ur 1600's wiliam and mary farthing is waiting for you out there..And thats just the start.. Could be a cob?? Nice hunt sorry you had to end it early.. George
If I find a cob you will hear me hollering from your house :-)

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll bring the boat up tomorrow, to keep an eye out and make sure you have your Epipen. I'll do the water while your in the woods with the bees!

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll bring the boat up tomorrow, to keep an eye out and make sure you have your Epipen. I'll do the water while your in the woods with the bees!
My treasure toad took care of the bees for me. He's just a little slow getting there that's all

image-4137475545.jpg

Funny he was right back where he was the first time

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Will you video a happy dance for me also?? Lol
I'll do any dance you can imagine! They'll be legs and arms flying everywhere. Breakdancing, doing the worm, you name it I'll try it!

GioTheGreek

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2009
Hades
Detector(s) used
XP DÉUS, Minelab E-TRAC, Pro-Pointer, Hawk-like Vision, Receding Hairline
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Man, you're pulling some beautiful buttons out of there! Great finds, as always man. It still blows my mind that this is your first year. You're kicking butt. :)

Nice pics, too!

MichiganMan

Jun 13, 2008
Kalamazoo County, Michigan
Detector(s) used
A cheap one until I can decide on a very good brand-name one to buy.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the patina on pic's 5 and 6. And the spoons... WoW! Spoons rock!

Anybody ever dug up a Paul Revere-made spoon?

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice haul buddy:headbang:

Yeah you should have been prepared the bee's have been brutal the last couple of years..Just like us they are stressed here in America!!

~Blaze

OWK

Apr 26, 2014
North Central Md
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, F75
Garrett Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the patina on pic's 5 and 6. And the spoons... WoW! Spoons rock!

Anybody ever dug up a Paul Revere-made spoon?

I have bought and sold actual Paul Revere silver.

But never dug it.

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Abe, Abe, Abe!!! Can you do me a favor? If you go out hunting WITHOUT your epipen and are that allergic to wasps/yellow jacket stings it would be good to provide someone with the GPS coordinates of your Treasure Island. I of course volunteer to hang onto this information for you.

I too have a high allergic reaction to yellow jacket stings and it seems whenever I get stung it is multiple stings from multiple wasps. I'm sure you already know this but for those that do not.......When a wasp stings something, it releases a pheromone that signals it is in danger to other wasps. Wasps within around a 20-foot radius will respond by coming to the aid of the stinging wasp. When I was a teenager I got stung 17 times by yellow jackets on a family vacation. I had taken a hike and coming back stepped right into a ground nest. They LIT ME UP! Got rushed to the local doctors for the life saving shot. The worst part is the pain the next day or two followed by the God awful itching. Anyway, do us all a favor and carry your pen with you please.

I really cannot comment on your finds as it is like a foreign language when dealing with 17th century goodies. I do know the historic significance and realize what a special place you have found through your research. I know how excited I still get finding a mercury dime. I cannot fathom how exciting it must be to be detecting on a site that could turn up a 17th century silver coin. Just amazing! Please be careful out there my friend so you're still around to share your future finds with us all.

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice dig and thank you for sharing those pictures

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since this thread is still generating replies, I spent a few hours trying to ID the variety of your Conn copper, especially since it is your first one you found, I would have liked to see you know what variety it is. Well, this has been one of the toughest ones I have ever attempted, not sure if I am just not seeing the forest from the trees or more likely corrosion has hidden a need detail I need to be positive on the ID. So, with that said, I am NOT positive of the ID on this one, wish there was a better book available with great photos, Whitman's book kind of sucks at times and this is one of those times. I think I eliminated it being one of the ET LIR varieties, since the B does appear to possibly be an R, but think it is just dirt/corrosion giving that appearance. I found no Obverse that would match one of the ET LIR reverses, so I eliminated that.
Your Conn copper, being a 1787, falls into the dreaded 33 series which there are many and many that are very close in details to each other, so, after hours of debating, eye strain, I will say it is possibly a Miller 33.33-Z.3 variety. 1787 Connecticut Copper - Miller 33.33-Z.3
Hopefully someone else will take the time and try to agree or disagree, I will not say why I am not 100% sure, since that might influence another's opinion of what it is. Don

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll do any dance you can imagine! They'll be legs and arms flying everywhere. Breakdancing, doing the worm, you name it I'll try it!

Dude you gotta spin on that giant hand! :headbang:

Attachments

• 670px-Breakdance-Step-27.jpg
    670px-Breakdance-Step-27.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 53

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The hand ,
holeeeey :censored:

your Better off waiting for colder weather , damn stings can be deadly .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread