Connecticut Copper, 10 More Buttons, Nice Relics

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a strange day yesterday was. Got up at 4:30 and headed out with my canoe. It was an incredibly beautiful morning. For those who never see this time of day I took a couple pics. It's worth it to get up early....trust me
image.jpg
image.jpg
Got my canoe unloaded and headed out to the island. Hiked into my colonial hot spot and started swinging. Prob my 4th hole I'm digging some dirt out and felt a pinch on my wrist. I though I had thorn stuck in my glove but it turned out to be a yellow jacket. Got me twice on the wrist. I'm very allergic to these guys and my epipen was in my lunch box which I left at my job site. So I sat down and put some wet dirt on it and just relaxed for a bit. Usually I can take one or two stings without needing an emergency room. This is what my hand looked like about 8 hours after the sting. It was much bigger at one point. No fun
image.jpg
image.jpg
Finally to the finds. I found 10 more buttons today bringing the total from this site up to 25. Here's a couple pics of the nicer ones and a group pic of all of them together
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
I found my first Connecticut state copper as well. 1787
image.jpg
image.jpg
I found a nice little shoe buckle piece that perhaps went with one of the frames that I previously found out there
image.jpg
This tiny little silver spoon handle with letters scratched into it I perhaps my favorite find
image.jpg
image.jpg
This last piece I found on my walk back to the canoe. This spoon could prove to be significant if it's as old as I believe it may be. I know there was some mid to late 17th century activity out there and if this spoon is from that time period it may have given me the location of my next site to hunt. So I know some of you will know the age and let me know. Thanks in advance
image.jpg
image.jpg

image.jpg

Upvote 18

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since this thread is still generating replies, I spent a few hours trying to ID the variety of your Conn copper, especially since it is your first one you found, I would have liked to see you know what variety it is. Well, this has been one of the toughest ones I have ever attempted, not sure if I am just not seeing the forest from the trees or more likely corrosion has hidden a need detail I need to be positive on the ID. So, with that said, I am NOT positive of the ID on this one, wish there was a better book available with great photos, Whitman's book kind of sucks at times and this is one of those times. I think I eliminated it being one of the ET LIR varieties, since the B does appear to possibly be an R, but think it is just dirt/corrosion giving that appearance. I found no Obverse that would match one of the ET LIR reverses, so I eliminated that.
Your Conn copper, being a 1787, falls into the dreaded 33 series which there are many and many that are very close in details to each other, so, after hours of debating, eye strain, I will say it is possibly a Miller 33.33-Z.3 variety. 1787 Connecticut Copper - Miller 33.33-Z.3
Hopefully someone else will take the time and try to agree or disagree, I will not say why I am not 100% sure, since that might influence another's opinion of what it is. Don

It's definitely close. The question I have, without looking because I'm sure you did, is... Were you easily able to see things on the other varieties that used the same dies, to eliminate them? When a coin like this is a tough ID often times it's easier to come up with the answer by process of elimination. It's close enough that you'd think it would have to be connected to the 33.33-Z.3 and that's basically half the battle done. (It's sort of the same idea of eliminating the others outside what's connected to 33.33-z.3 as being possible) And once you narrowed down that much, it's just about getting it down to one, and I'm guessing that's sort of how you ended up there and why you can't be 100% sure. In other words you feel you know what it isn't, but can't quite prove what it is.

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since this thread is still generating replies, I spent a few hours trying to ID the variety of your Conn copper, especially since it is your first one you found, I would have liked to see you know what variety it is. Well, this has been one of the toughest ones I have ever attempted, not sure if I am just not seeing the forest from the trees or more likely corrosion has hidden a need detail I need to be positive on the ID. So, with that said, I am NOT positive of the ID on this one, wish there was a better book available with great photos, Whitman's book kind of sucks at times and this is one of those times. I think I eliminated it being one of the ET LIR varieties, since the B does appear to possibly be an R, but think it is just dirt/corrosion giving that appearance. I found no Obverse that would match one of the ET LIR reverses, so I eliminated that.
Your Conn copper, being a 1787, falls into the dreaded 33 series which there are many and many that are very close in details to each other, so, after hours of debating, eye strain, I will say it is possibly a Miller 33.33-Z.3 variety. 1787 Connecticut Copper - Miller 33.33-Z.3
Hopefully someone else will take the time and try to agree or disagree, I will not say why I am not 100% sure, since that might influence another's opinion of what it is. Don

Don the effort is very much appreciate! I didn't do this coin any favors. Well the one side gave up a but more detail but I didn't give you much to work with. Unfortunately my Whitman book is loaned to a buddy right now so I can't look myself.
Here is one more pic hope it may help
image.jpg
I do believe it's an R. Not to make things more confusing

Last edited:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Abe, looks like a matching die crack. If so, that will confirm the reverse, which put it's down to a choice of two... and after just looking at those (obverse dies used with that reverse), which are extremely close, the placement of the pellets or stops, or whatever you want to call them after the word CONNEC, seem to be closest to the obverse Don suggested.... so if that is a matching die crack I think Don is right.

Attachments

• 1787_ct_copper_miller_33.33_Z.03_rev.jpg
    1787_ct_copper_miller_33.33_Z.03_rev.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 38
  • imct11.jpg
    imct11.jpg
    343.2 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Abe, looks like a matching die crack. If so, that will confirm the reverse, which put it's down to a choice of two... and after just looking at those (obverse dies used with that reverse), which are extremely close, the placement of the pellets or stops, or whatever you want to call them after the word CONNEC, seem to be closest to the obverse Don suggested.... so if that is a matching die crack I think Don is right.
You guys amaze me!

Silvermonkey

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for sharing those beautiful sunrise pics! I always bring my camera with me when I'm out digging. Its amazing the nature shots that will suddenly present themselves. The picture of your hand was pretty scary. Doesn't take much to turn a good day into a really bad day. I broke my ankle out in the woods while detecting exactly one year ago. Fortunately, my AT-Pro worked well as a crutch, and I was able to hobble back to my car, and then drive to the ER. Congratulations on all of the great finds. Keep at it, and stay safe!

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for sharing those beautiful sunrise pics! I always bring my camera with me when I'm out digging. Its amazing the nature shots that will suddenly present themselves. The picture of your hand was pretty scary. Doesn't take much to turn a good day into a really bad day. I broke my ankle out in the woods while detecting exactly one year ago. Fortunately, my AT-Pro worked well as a crutch, and I was able to hobble back to my car, and then drive to the ER. Congratulations on all of the great finds. Keep at it, and stay safe!
Thanks Silvermonkey. Yes it's always a risk when you head out into the woods. Some days are easy and some are a bit more adventurous but I love them all. Good luck out there buddy

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Very nice finds Abe. Congrats on loot!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread