Connecticut Copper, 10 More Buttons, Nice Relics

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a strange day yesterday was. Got up at 4:30 and headed out with my canoe. It was an incredibly beautiful morning. For those who never see this time of day I took a couple pics. It's worth it to get up early....trust me
image.jpg
image.jpg
Got my canoe unloaded and headed out to the island. Hiked into my colonial hot spot and started swinging. Prob my 4th hole I'm digging some dirt out and felt a pinch on my wrist. I though I had thorn stuck in my glove but it turned out to be a yellow jacket. Got me twice on the wrist. I'm very allergic to these guys and my epipen was in my lunch box which I left at my job site. So I sat down and put some wet dirt on it and just relaxed for a bit. Usually I can take one or two stings without needing an emergency room. This is what my hand looked like about 8 hours after the sting. It was much bigger at one point. No fun
image.jpg
image.jpg
Finally to the finds. I found 10 more buttons today bringing the total from this site up to 25. Here's a couple pics of the nicer ones and a group pic of all of them together
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
I found my first Connecticut state copper as well. 1787
image.jpg
image.jpg
I found a nice little shoe buckle piece that perhaps went with one of the frames that I previously found out there
image.jpg
This tiny little silver spoon handle with letters scratched into it I perhaps my favorite find
image.jpg
image.jpg
This last piece I found on my walk back to the canoe. This spoon could prove to be significant if it's as old as I believe it may be. I know there was some mid to late 17th century activity out there and if this spoon is from that time period it may have given me the location of my next site to hunt. So I know some of you will know the age and let me know. Thanks in advance
image.jpg
image.jpg

image.jpg

Upvote 18

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your spoon is old, I can't put an exact date on it but it is old! Your hand is about 38 years old and very big, you need to be careful while out on remote canoe trips!

All kidding aside, you did very well Abe, great finds, I really like the silver handle, I like all of those finds, congrats!

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Beautiful sunrise pics, Abe! I always said man cannot paint like God can! Sorry about those stings....be careful. You are definitely on a nice site with those finds. Your buttons seem to be in an amazing condition that I really like and admire. Keep on finding them so we can share!

70monte68

Aug 8, 2010
PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T2 SE
TEKNETICS T2 SE (back up)
MINELAB EXCALIBUR 2,
WHITES MX SPORT
Great finds Bro, keep at it!

OWK

Apr 26, 2014
North Central Md
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, F75
Garrett Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your tiny coin silver teaspoon handle with the top side mid rib, dates to about 1755 to 1765.

With the monogram, there's a pretty good chance you can identify the original owner if the location was lightly populated.

MaineRelic

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2008
MAINE
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesorso's, Minelabs, Garrett's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow ! I got a wasp sting the other day ! I'm not allergic ! Carry your pen ! You could have been stung 10 times I have before ! Other than that a superb hunt ! Great buttons ! Ct. Copper ! Crested silver spoon fragment ! Nice buttons ! And yes what most certainly looks like the bowl of a seal or slip top spoon ! Circa 1650 - 1690 ! Your in a great spot for a cob ! Awesome hunt Abe MR

OWK

Apr 26, 2014
North Central Md
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, F75
Garrett Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also, it was typical for silver spoons to be given as wedding gifts. The monogram on your spoon reads "R" over "T E".

Typically, that would read as "Surname over Husband, Wife".

As in the example: Richardson, Thomas and Elizabeth.

doninbrewster

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2013
New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great finds. As a colonial coin collector I'm always partial to CT coppers. Although it's obvious it the draped bust facing left style, if it cleans up any better, with good photos I might be able to give a better id. You also came up with some nice buttons, buckles and of course finding old silver flatware is always a great day.

Jyverb64

Oct 30, 2012
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer Se Pro
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is one sweet spot you have there, nice copper and collection of buttons

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great bad day, wow on the result of that Yellow Jacket stinging you, beware, I got 12-16 stings from just one Yellow Jacket while detecting that got stuck in my sock! Luckily I am not severally allergic or I would have had a big problem........... That is a great variety of finds there, congrats on your first CT copper, the monogrammed spoon handle is a keeper for sure. I hope that site is not nearly exhausted of finds, since it appears to be a great one! Don

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice finds abe! Nicepics too I like your "mitt" holy crap bro be careful with them bees

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow Abe, the ole hand looks rough. Might want to get an EpiPen. I know all those finds have to given you the "big head". One sting on the noggin and that already swollen appendage will be to large to walk with ha ha. You know I am just kidding. On to the finds, ....... Wow. You are killing me with the old dandy buttons and coppers. Way to go my friend. Will try to give you a shout this eve. Congrats

Mark

Greylock

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2012
Western MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds. That spoon is an older one. That hand looks pretty bad. It happened to me a few days ago digging in a dump. Had to strip down to nothing and ran like a mad man only to realize all my stuff was still in the pit. Hope ya find the other piece to that spoon on your next trip

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing finds amigo - Glad you survived that sting ! Is there a solution to the problem of how to keep the epi pen medicine from
getting over heated while in the field for hours ? (not trying to hijack the thread but this is an issue for me too - maybe many of us )

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds. As a colonial coin collector I'm always partial to CT coppers. Although it's obvious it the draped bust facing left style, if it cleans up any better, with good photos I might be able to give a better id. You also came up with some nice buttons, buckles and of course finding old silver flatware is always a great day.
So I'm a little embarrassed but after taking a bunch of Benadryl I fell asleep with my coin in peroxide and there it stayed for about 12 hours. The date and a few letters are more legible but the other side deteriorated pretty badly. You can see the star above the head though.
image.jpg
image.jpg

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your tiny coin silver teaspoon handle with the top side mid rib, dates to about 1755 to 1765.

With the monogram, there's a pretty good chance you can identify the original owner if the location was lightly populated.
Thanks for all of the great info OWK! Had no idea the silver piece was that old.

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow ! I got a wasp sting the other day ! I'm not allergic ! Carry your pen ! You could have been stung 10 times I have before ! Other than that a superb hunt ! Great buttons ! Ct. Copper ! Crested silver spoon fragment ! Nice buttons ! And yes what most certainly looks like the bowl of a seal or slip top spoon ! Circa 1650 - 1690 ! Your in a great spot for a cob ! Awesome hunt Abe MR
Thanks for the info MR! I thought that spoon was an old one. I was hoping it was 1600s and I may have just found the oldest part of this site.

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great bad day, wow on the result of that Yellow Jacket stinging you, beware, I got 12-16 stings from just one Yellow Jacket while detecting that got stuck in my sock! Luckily I am not severally allergic or I would have had a big problem........... That is a great variety of finds there, congrats on your first CT copper, the monogrammed spoon handle is a keeper for sure. I hope that site is not nearly exhausted of finds, since it appears to be a great one! Don
Thanks Don! It's a huge site and there's plenty of area to hit still

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry about your hand, glad it wasn't too bad in looking at the big picture. From the looks of those great finds, it looks like you are on one of those dig every signal kind of sites. :thumbsup: Hopefully you end up with a few more goodies before you finish up there. :)

OWK

Apr 26, 2014
North Central Md
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, F75
Garrett Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all of the great info OWK! Had no idea the silver piece was that old.

No problem.

I have a huge database of maker's marks and forms for American Coin Silver, many of which don't appear in books.

It wasn't unusual for smaller pieces like teaspoons to break at the mark (as yours did) otherwise I could tell you precisely who made it. I could probably give an educated guess even without a mark, if I had an approximate location.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions