timelord

Sep 1, 2014
Sheboygan WI
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this Sunday, just found out its between 4000 to 7000 years old. Best find to date. And I thought 110 year old US coin was old. image.jpg

Upvote 12

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
outstanding find. that would certainly rank among my most treasured finds for sure

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome! I would think that's a banner find!

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice find tell us some more if you can =)

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice find man that is banner worthy..

Hey Peddel i thought they only had a 60 year time frame....:rolleyes:

~Blaze

leddel

Jun 30, 2006
connecticut
Nice find man that is banner worthy..

Hey Peddel i thought they only had a 60 year time frame....:rolleyes:

~Blaze

do you not understand the difference of "Kettle point" and "copper culture point" ??
tell you what Phil , why don't you do your "research" on it =(you know google a couple
of sites takes things out of context ) and discredit this nice relics age

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other
I am voting banner on this Timelord:icon_thumleft:

An American artifact this old should be up there..

~Blaze

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Without more Info, from Timelord .
Ill hold off on the Banner For Now.

Davers

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other
Without more Info, from Timelord .
Ill hold off on the Banner For Now.

Davers

I already voted but you did make me look closer..First post,stamp in the bottom corner..

Im curious...

~Blaze

OP
OP
timelord

timelord

Sep 1, 2014
Sheboygan WI
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry about not posting more about this find. I am just learning more about it since I found it yesterday. I found it near Sheboygan, WI on some private land that I had permission to hunt and have been doing so for a couple of years. At first I was detecting with a Fisher F5 and really didn't find much but this year I bought a Minelab Safari a went back to this spot. There once was a hunting cabin on the land and there was a story about someone leaving something there. Sorry that is all I can say about that.

So this year I was back after getting the Safari and was finding some good silver coins. My first Standing Liberty Quarter along with a silver Washington Quarter. 3 Barber Dimes and 4 Mercury Dimes along with some clad. This last Sunday I went back just to hopefully find some more silver which I did one more Mercury and a Roosevelt.

Then I found the copper Knife/Dagger in the wooded area. It rang up 33-34 on the Safari so I thought it would be another coin. At first I thought it might be junk but looking closer it looked like an arrow head so I kept it. Not much long after finding the Knife/Dagger the owner of the property came by and I showed him the find and said maybe it a metal arrow from the 1800 or from the Indians. The owner said it could be from the Indians because there is a grave sight not to far from there.

After getting home I started to look on the internet and come to find out that there was a Old Copper Complex somewhere near by. And the grave sights around there are 2000 to 2500 years old. That got me excited.

So I posted the find on arrowhead.com to see if anyone knew anything about it. They said it was from the Copper Culture era. Then another told me it was 4000 to 7000 years old and gave some links for more information.

Hopefully I will be having someone look at it and tell me for sure how old it is. But the area will hold that date since it is know to have an Old Copper Complex nearby.

I knew nothing about the Old Copper Complex before the find, I did know about the Indian graves close by. That is one thing about metal detecting you find out more history because of your finds.

That is all the info I have on this for now, will post more. Some of the info I have been finding states that these Knife/Dagger are not that common. I don't know if I will find anything better. I have been detecting since I was 12 years old and now I am 50 and still enjoying the hobby..

Last edited:
OP
OP
timelord

timelord

Sep 1, 2014
Sheboygan WI
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The stamp on the bottom corner is for the program the shrinks the size of the photo. The app is for the iPad and it's a watermark since it's the free version.

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey, welcome and congratulations on that lovely Copper Culture artifact! Could you please provide general measurements of the find? The base looks unusual for a spearhead, so it may indeed be a dagger/knife if its the right size, which would be more uncommon than a spear/arrowhead. Thanks for sharing the find and the story!

OP
OP
timelord

timelord

Sep 1, 2014
Sheboygan WI
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The point is 4" long and 1" wide. I do believe it's considered a fishtail point and being only 4". This quote is from the Milwaukee Museum.

Flat-stemmed points, sometimes referred to as fishtail points because of the shape of their bases, show a large range of sizes. Less common than most projectile points, they may have functioned also as daggers or knives.

Also it's curve at the tip so it must of been used as a special knife in my opinion, I'll post the pick of the curve. It is not bent but made that way.

image.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread