help on identification

samsond

Apr 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First off, sorry for no picture. However, I other day I found a copper coin about the size of a nickel. The coin has "JTB" on both sides and no other information. The "J" is on the left side of the coin and the"B" is on the right. These two letters are about 1/3 the height of the coin. The "T" is in the center and takes up almost the the whole height of the coin. I've checked the net with no luck.

Upvote 0

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a very tough one with no pics. Just not sure if it's a known coin with a counterstamp on both sides or some sort of token. Do the letter look like they are supposed to be there or were they added later?

OWK

Apr 26, 2014
North Central Md
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, F75
Garrett Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What you probably have is a love token.

During the mid to late 19th century, young men would take a coin to the jeweler and the coin would be ground smooth by the jeweler, and engraved with the suitor's initials.

The suitor would then give the disk to his chosen, as a token of affection.

Hard to tell for certain without seeing it, but given the limited information, that's what I'd guess.

OWK

Apr 26, 2014
North Central Md
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, F75
Garrett Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you can manage to get a photo posted, I can probably confirm or reject my suspicion, and also date the engraving with considerable accuracy just by style.

OP
OP
S

samsond

Apr 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Posted picture under new post "JTB coin

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread