Another day in colonial heaven! Another coin and need ID from our UK friends!!

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man it was beautiful out today, a bit hot, but targets were steady. I actually never normally would do this, but I was digging bullets non-stopped to the point that I moved to another spot as that was all that was producing there. This is likely my last time out before the baby comes, so I really wanted to check some more spots at this site, and I am glad I did.

While a few more roundballs did pop up, some buttons did, and so did the 1838 seated dime, and the other WHAT IS IT. This is the same general area that I dug the roman coin, this one also appears to be bronze and has a very intentional design. I initially thought I dug a cob, but then figured it was just a lead seal or token. When I got home, I tested it, rechecked it with the machine, and sure enough if it not lead or pewter. I am fairly certain that it is a bronze material. Any thoughts?

I really liked the early colonial cufflink with set stone, wish the other was still attached. it very well might be in the same hole, though there was so much iron, i could not locate it.

All in all, i dug about 40 various size musket balls, a few buttons, a nice complete buckle along with other pieces to shoe buckles. This site will keep me busy for many years and it does not seem to be slowing down.

HH

Dan

Attachments

• 1a.JPG
    1a.JPG
    970.5 KB · Views: 185
  • 1b.JPG
    1b.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 166
  • 1c.JPG
    1c.JPG
    678 KB · Views: 233
  • 1d.JPG
    1d.JPG
    625.5 KB · Views: 180
  • 1e.JPG
    1e.JPG
    547.4 KB · Views: 188
  • 1f.JPG
    1f.JPG
    444.2 KB · Views: 151
  • 1g.JPG
    1g.JPG
    815.9 KB · Views: 197
  • 1h.JPG
    1h.JPG
    609.3 KB · Views: 150
Upvote 17

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great haul buddy! That bronze piece is very interesting. Cuff link is very cool

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice digs Dan..Wow you had a blast today..wonder what that bronze thing is..
Hope it turns out to be a coin..
Im going to a eye on this post..
George

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow - another great day Dan! Not sure I can help you with that bronze item, but I can tell you the stone on that cufflink is absolutely gorgeous. Never seen one with that kind of detail and color. That's the find of the day IMO. Hopefully someone can ID your mystery item as I'm quite intrigued by it as well.

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds Dan, the cuff link button is awesome.
ZDD

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This site will keep me busy for many years and it does not seem to be slowing down.....

What a great statement to make about a site. If only we all could find such a place. Congrats to you. Hope the baby is soon out there with you and making great finds as well!

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
not a dull moment in a hunt like that.Yeah she was a hot one today,damn humidity was terrible.I was leaning towards a seal too when I first saw the whatsit.nice finds!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like lead to me, and similar to very early trade tokens.

Attachments

• lead.jpg
    lead.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 96

doninbrewster

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2013
New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Way to go! Lot of great finds but tops on my list is the dime and cufflink.

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds Dan. The would be really cool if it turns out to be a trade token. The cufflink is cool too.

OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like lead to me, and similar to very early trade tokens.

Thanks man, that is exactly what I thought and perhaps it still is. However, it is def not lead, reads too high, not soft enough and finally (though I hate to had done it) I took a knife to the edge, very solid and a brass/bronze color is shining through. I went with bronze only because it def is not brass...it could be a mixture of somesort, but the age?

I still think it is a trade token but open to any ideas

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks man, that is exactly what I thought and perhaps it still is. However, it is def not lead, reads too high, not soft enough and finally (though I hate to had done it) I took a knife to the edge, very solid and a brass/bronze color is shining through. I went with bronze only because it def is not brass...it could be a mixture of somesort, but the age?

So the metal is yellow?

I'd bet my detector it's lead. If it's not, then looks like I would have lost a detector. :)

bootybandit

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2014
San Diego
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21,
Tecnetics Omega 8000,
T-Rex 9.5"
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very nice haul! I'm sure one of the more experienced members will have an answer on that piece. Way to go!!

OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So the metal is yellow?

I'd bet my detector it's lead. If it's not, then looks like I would have lost a detector. :)

Ha ... I have plenty so will let you off the hook. I've been around relics all my life, trust me when i say it is not lead. Yellow is showing through where I scraped, and I had to really really scrape to get that to show.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ha ... I have plenty so will let you off the hook. I've been around relics all my life, trust me when i say it is not lead. Yellow is showing through where I scraped, and I had to really really scrape to get that to show.

Then the token idea is most likely out. I think a broken piece of something, and that does make more sense because that's a lot of waste metal for a token. Have only seen those early tokens in lead, so really tossing that idea aside.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would be happy with all that lead but the rest is just icing on the cake. Congratulations on the new addition!

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other
Dan those finds are a site for sore eyes:icon_thumright:

My foot is almost healed just in time for cellar hole season..

~Blaze

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Dan - if this came from the same site as your Roman coin from a few weeks ago is there any chance this could be some kind of crude roman piece? Remember, one of the theories as to how your earlier coin made it to Virginia is by being picked up from the banks of the Thames in the ballast used for the ship crossing, and maybe this mystery piece came over the same way. Just brainstorming ...... Other than that my best guess is possibly some sort of early seal.

RelicMedic

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab pro find 35

Minelab Equinox 600

Minelab Excalibur II

Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow what a stellar hunt!! I love it all, right down to every musketball and button. Your mystery piece is so interesting! Pound that site...can't wait to see what else comes out of there!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

It is a Lead Token (lots of variants of lead-alloy used). Your machine is bust. No way of telling what the token was used for, as they had thousands of uses & milions of designs.

PS. I have been surprised more of these have not turned up in the US, as they started in the late medieval & finished in the early 1800s. Although they were only locally made & used tokens.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions