A Few More Buttons

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I think I've finally cleaned out the colonial spot that I've been hunting. I put the T2 in all metal today and rescanned the area. Pulled some very deep buttons which makes me wonder if there's some coins down really deep. This makes a total of 32 buttons from this spot. Some fancy and some plain. Noticed that one of Saturdays buttons had some gold color underneath the top layer. I hit it with a but of naval jelly and it's kind of interesting looking. Also found a pewter button today with a ferrous shank.
This site has produced the 32 colonial buttons, a 1787 Connecticut copper cent, a beautiful 1802 DB Large Cent. 2 shoe buckle frames, a monogrammed silver spoon piece, and best of all very little trash. This was a fun one all will certainly help the button display. Thanks for looking and best of luck out there guys, Abe
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Upvote 11
OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow, you are going to have to expand to display your buttons properly. must be really awesome to pull the out of the ground, to be able to see the various differences between them and to wonder who lost them. a lot of very cool history there.
I do love buttons. They're such an everyday part of someone's life. They can really tell you a lot about time frame and potential wealth status

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You may well have it hunted out, but more often than not you could be very surprised what can turn up after the frost leaves next spring. One of my first older sites I hunted a few times, even a couple of times with snow on, so it was gridded well in three directions, next spring I got three more coppers in just one short hunt. That said nothing better than a new (old) site that is target rich.
I will definitely revisit this site. Prob this fall actually and then next spring. I keep a very detailed journal of every single hunt and my plans for the future at each particular site. I'm excited for this fall as there's lots of good sites that I need to get to

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
most often, buttons are more fun for me to dig than coins, I have a cornfield I hammered pretty good the past 2 years that keeps producing buttons

Awesome finds!!

Mduece

Jun 14, 2014
South West NH
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro / Bounty Hunter Platinum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds. I've found a couple colonial buttons and couldn't have been more excited. Your collection from that site is impressive. Congrats

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
most often, buttons are more fun for me to dig than coins, I have a cornfield I hammered pretty good the past 2 years that keeps producing buttons Awesome finds!!
Yeah I love the designed ones and finally found a nice military button. Hell I love the plain ones. This site has certainly produced a boatload of keepers. Buttons, 2 very nice old coins, shoe buckles, spoons. Little bit of everything. I think I'm going to concentrate my efforts on a 1600s location now. Not always the easiest to hunt but the reward could be pretty nice. Still looking for a 1600s coin

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds. I've found a couple colonial buttons and couldn't have been more excited. Your collection from that site is impressive. Congrats
Thanks Mduece! It's certainly been a thrill finding so many nicely designed buttons. This site has given me a great amount, along with some other very nice finds

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Those are some beautiful Dandy buttons Abe! :occasion14:
I have a site very much like yours where I've hunted it for 3+ years and it has very little left to give.
Maybe I'll try the 'All Metal Mode' setting on my At Pro and see if I can find stuff I've missed in the past! :thumbsup:

But what I'd really like to know is ... doesn't your wife get upset when you use her toothbrush to clean your finds with in the bathroom sink? :laughing7:
Dave

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice digs Ahab those Dandy buttons are my favorite thing to dig:icon_thumleft:

It is sad how fast a site dries up and how hard they are getting to find..

~Blaze

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are some beautiful Dandy buttons Abe! :occasion14: I have a site very much like yours where I've hunted it for 3+ years and it has very little left to give. Maybe I'll try the 'All Metal Mode' setting on my At Pro and see if I can find stuff I've missed in the past! :thumbsup: But what I'd really like to know is ... doesn't your wife get upset when you use her toothbrush to clean your finds with in the bathroom sink? :laughing7: Dave
Ha thanks Dave! Yeah I just bleach the bristles afterward lol
I would def try the all metal mode buddy. It scored me a few keepers that I just could not reach in disc and this T2 is damn deep. Give it a shot bro. It'd be a shame of that find of a lifetime was hiding just out of reach

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice digs Ahab those Dandy buttons are my favorite thing to dig:icon_thumleft: It is sad how fast a site dries up and how hard they are getting to find.. ~Blaze
Yeah it's certainly not easy to find good colonial sites. This one was a complete surprise with no history that I could locate. These islands have proven to be good to me. I think lots of people just can't get to em or are too lazy to bother. Good luck out there buddy

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's MXT All Pro,White's MX Sport , White's XLT E-Series,White's eagle spectrum,White's Silver Eagle & White's 4000-D
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
awesome colonial buttons Abe! hopefully one of your future dandy buttons will be a GW .thats the size they are and the way you are going it's just a matter of time till ya nail one

screwynewy

May 10, 2011
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other
Very nice collection of buttons. You should put everything together from this site and take a group shot. It is surprising to see how many finds you can accumulate from a good site.

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice collection of buttons. You should put everything together from this site and take a group shot. It is surprising to see how many finds you can accumulate from a good site.

These are the better finds from 3 trips to just the small colonial area of the island. Not pictured are the 17th century spoon, Joseph Lane campaign Ferrotype, and beautiful 1866 Indian head found in different areas. It was certainly a productive site. Hopefully the 17th century site I have my eye on will be half as good as this one was.....wishful thinking lol
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Greylock

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2012
Western MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love those big old buttons. If I was still finding them id keep going back. Don't forget to dig those really bad signals in the iron patch.

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love those big old buttons. If I was still finding them id keep going back. Don't forget to dig those really bad signals in the iron patch.
Yeah last time I went I basically dug every weird little signal that was mixed in with the iron. I plan on stepping away for a couple weeks then heading back with fresh eyes and maybe I will scare up some more stuff

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice going Abe. I still think there are some early coins to be found there. Good luck if you go back.

The Rebel

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2011
Southwest, CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Spectra V3i with wireless headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love those designed buttons Abe. If I'm not digging coins, I'd rather be digging those.

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice going Abe. I still think there are some early coins to be found there. Good luck if you go back.
Bill I'm def going back. That very early spoon has got me wanting to find some real old stuff. I know it's there somewhere

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread