All the Junk Jewelry Ive Found From June 21st Til Today......

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
All the Junk Jewelry I've Found From June 21st 'Til Today......

Well, this is all of the fake jewelry I've found since I got back into detecting back in June.

It's a pretty good variety but of course it's basically worthless. I'm getting quite a collection and if things keep going as they have thus far, I expect it will continue to grow.

I've been meaning to post this stuff for a while and today I finally got around to it.

All Fake Jewelry Since June 21, 2014 001.JPG

That's pretty much it. Nice pile of junk huh??
Thanks for lookin' and Happy Hunting to all.

Last edited:
Upvote 4

swolfe

Jul 8, 2012
Rockford Illinois
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Beep and Dig Harbor Freight 9 function detector.
Whites Coinmaster DB/4
Whites Coinmaster Pro
Tesoro Vaquero
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
are you sure that the crumpled earring is junk? It looks very similar to a hollow earring I dug that is plated silver. the post on mine has very tiny, almost invisible to the naked eye writing. The ring at the bottom is really weird! I find fake stamped 14k items but never fake stamped 10k :)

Last edited:

pl8man

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2009
San Jose , California
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT PRO with Sunray probe, M6 with a Super 12 coil & a Whites Quantum II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great bunch of finds ! I'm sure it's going to grow big time !!!!
Glen

OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
are you sure that the crumpled earring is junk? It looks very similar to a hollow earring I dug that is plated silver. the post on mine has very tiny, almost invisible to the naked eye writing. The ring at the bottom is really weird! I find fake stamped 14k items but never fake stamped 10k :)

The 10K is electroplated. The plating is flaking off. I was able to actually trace the manufacturer down. It's definitely costume jewelry.

The big heavy one is 18K plated copper; a real heart stopper. I really thought I had something for a minute with that one because it's very heavy. The dirt was covering up the HGE and all I saw was "18K" until I cleaned it off a bit.

The crumpled gold earring is one I thought was real too. It has no markings that I can see. I actually found it UNDER a pull tab one day and almost missed it. It hardly even registers on either of my detectors; just very faint, broken tones.

I'll double check it but I really don't think it's gold. Should I find out otherwise, I'll move it into the "real" column. Honestly, I don't expect that to happen but it sure would be nice.

Even small bits of gold add up; especially at today's prices. When I hear that gold is "down" to 12 or 1300 bucks and ounce I have to laugh. I was buying and trading gold coins at under 300 bucks an ounce. Gold is still very high with lots of upside potential in the long term.

The bigger the pile you can accumulate the better, even if it's one small bit or bent up earring at a time.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Okay, I just double checked the bent earring and sure enough, it's marked "DC 14K" in EXTREMELY tiny lettering. I think the "DC" means "diamond cut". The markings are barely visible and I never found them before.

I started wearing reading glasses a couple of years ago and sometimes I just forget my eyes don't work as well as they used to. I completely missed it even though it did initially look like gold to me.

I used a loupe this time and sure enough, 14K. Wow.

Son of a gun, more gold all along and I didn't even know it. It's hollow and that's probably why it barely registers on the detectors. I just figured it was more junk; especially given the fact that it's hollow and so fragile looking. it also goes to show you that you can't prejudge those faint broken tones all of the time. You just never know until you dig (and properly check your find).

Thanks SO much for pointing that out to me. Back into the "real" column it goes and the gold tally goes up one notch!!! I just looked one up and a new unbent/undestroyed pair goes for about 70-80 bucks.

This is yet another reason why I love this site and the people on it so much. More eyes on the treasures is always better than just one pair.

Thanks again. My day just got a whole lot better!! It also retroactively makes the day I found it way better.

It's always great finding new treasure in your old treasure.

Last edited:

dinx

Jan 17, 2013
Georgia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I have the mate for that dented gold hoop earring--- was a surface find at the park-been holding into it for years. I'll send it your way then u at least have the pair to scrap lol

Silveraden

Greenie
Aug 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Even if these are junk I think you still can sell these items at ebay.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man that's a-lot of costume jewelry for a couple months , hope you found some real items also,'other than the one you mentioned .

You are def, right each piece adds up.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bet a few of those were heart stoppers!

Always test what you think is fake, it may surprise you. You've just about got your junk quota filled, now your up for the real deal!

OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I bet a few of those were heart stoppers!

Always test what you think is fake, it may surprise you. You've just about got your junk quota filled, now your up for the real deal!

Indeed they were, especially the copper plated in 18K. i thought I had hit the jackpot for a minute or two.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
nice pile, I've had a couple of those heart stoppers that turned out to be 18k plated, I tell myself that they were still fun to dig and go on. but hey, you were able to move that one from the junk to the good pile, ole Wolfe's eyes were pretty sharp, so finally posting that stuff paid off for you. oh happy days!

OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Man that's a-lot of costume jewelry for a couple months , hope you found some real items also,'other than the one you mentioned .

You are def, right each piece adds up.

Yeah, I've found a few real pieces. None are super valuable but they're pretty good nonetheless. I haven't found any jewelry at all in a while until yesterday; despite digging MANY pull tabs and other trash. But, it will appear sooner or later.

Hendo0601

Jul 30, 2014
California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tie a treble hook to that black thing on the right side of the picture and go fishing with it!!!
Cool deal on finding out you had some real gold in there!

OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tie a treble hook to that black thing on the right side of the picture and go fishing with it!!!
Cool deal on finding out you had some real gold in there!

Yeah, maybe I'll catch a nice lunker Bass.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Very nice pile. You are bound to hit the jackpot soon. GL&HH.

OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very nice pile. You are bound to hit the jackpot soon. GL&HH.

Thanks.
Hopefully, you are correct.

All in all though, given the equipment I have at present, I think I'm doin' all right so far. I cannot complain.
I'm looking forward to going back over all of my spots when I eventually upgrade just to see how much I missed so far.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks. Hopefully, you are correct. All in all though, given the equipment I have at present, I think I'm doin' all right so far. I cannot complain. I'm looking forward to going back over all of my spots when I eventually upgrade just to see how much I missed so far.
I have a Teknetics T2 SE that I got a year ago. The colonial site I've been at which has produced 32 buttons, 2 very old coppers and a couple shoe buckles and other relics has given up some very deep signals. Most of the buttons were between 6-8" and some I found in all metal at. 9-12". It's one of the few sites that I really felt like having a nice expensive sensitive detector really got me a LOT of finds that a lot of machines wouldn't have reached. The coins were around 8". I believe most of my finds would have been found with most decent machines. But I can certainly think of a fair amount that would just be out of reach of most detectors and some that came from very trashy sites that this machine was able to separate. I guess my point is that I never feel like I'm missing anything due to my equipment which is a nice feeling. I was able to buy this machine because I got a nice bonus and because I had my heart set on it and waited until I felt comfortable getting it. Trust me when I say that there are some sites with consistently deep targets. And it's nice to give yourself the best chance to get the goods .
I hope you don't take this the wrong way. I am in no way putting anybody's machine down. I'm simply stating my experience and my feelings on the matter. Trust me I haven't always been in a financial state in which I could spend a grand on a machine. But that's another reason I waited. I wanted what I felt gave me the best chance and finally went for it when the time was right. I did stupid amounts of research and asked the guys that I felt new the most and would be unbiased. I encourage you to do the same when the time comes for an upgrade. In the meantime keep on enjoying this great hobby and learn whatever machine you have so it can be maximized to its full potential. Trust me a bad detectorist with a good machine will get killed by a good detectorist with a cheaper machine who's maximized its full potential and learned what his/her machine was telling them. I wish you all the luck in the world and hope you get the machine of your dreams one day soon. All the best, Abe

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread