🥇 BANNER Its a little too early for champagne buuuuttt ...

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It's a little too early for champagne buuuuttt ...

Please join me in my excitement this morning as yesterday I dug a perfectly beautiful rare CSA Atlanta Arsenal style belt buckle! It was my first target of the afternoon and while I'm amazed at my find, I just happened to be at the right place at the right time. The first CSA buckle like this I had ever seen was a few months ago at the Middle Tennessee Metal Detecting Club meeting and our very own DMan Doug was the proud owner. This is the Atlanta Arsenal style CSA rectangle and was probably issued in Dalton, Georgia in 1863. My buckle even had a little bit of black leather still attached under the two main hooks because copper sulfite was used to cast the plate and it inhibited decay and infestation of insects. I still can't believe my incredible luck this morning. It was laying face up and as soon as I saw the "A" it registered in my mind what I had unearthed and I just had to sit there in reverence a minute before I could get up and go show it to my husband who was equally as shocked and happy.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Upvote 102

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Fantastic find, that may just be one in a lifetime.

All the best,

Lanny

bill_wabo

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2014
Quebec
Detector(s) used
helmet from pomelo
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Tesoro Mojave,
Garrett Carrott
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like said sooner, that is THE RELIC everybody hope for. The patina is ... wow. :thumbsup:

flatbutton

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2013
Eastern N.C.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Tesoro Sand Shark,Nautilus DMC 1, Garrett Grand Master Hunter,Garrett Master Hunter 5 , Whites Coinmaster 5000/D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the banner CG! Seen it up top and didn't realize it was your score. Really nice piece,and a find of a life time!

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neat find, you deserve banner on that 1

cazisme

Aug 6, 2012
Motherload
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Find!
I am from California and we dont get many civil war items here! I am curious about belt buckles do you think they are from field buried bodys or were they taken off or abandoned otherwise?

OP
OP
CoilyGirl

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great Find!
I am from California and we dont get many civil war items here! I am curious about belt buckles do you think they are from field buried bodys or were they taken off or abandoned otherwise?

What I have heard is often the dead were picked up for burial and instead of touching the body the men were picked up with a hook by their belts or clothing and dragged to be buried later,often in mass graves. The Confederates in particular were very proud of their issued belt buckles. Earlier buckles in different campaigns were often thin brass or pewter.

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ugh! I'd just die, I tell ya. What an amazing find!
Nana

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know how I missed this thread but I just know found it...congrats on an incredible find...beautiful buckle.

BennyBacon

May 31, 2015
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 2200
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is amazing! Nice condition! I would love to find that!

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
COILY GIRL COILY GIRL WHAT A RARE FIND. PUT THAT BUCKLE IN A SHADOW BOX AND LET THE CSA MEANING SHINE,VANZUTPHEN

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread