Critters New Catch

TOWcritter

Hi all! I haven't been out in a while and the sun was shining a little so... I went to the site I found about a month ago. The snow was all gone so I had better access. As I went down to the end of the point I passed the last foundation. As I looked over the swampy area I noticed what I thought was just another tree stump. #1. When I got a little closer I saw that it was a rock marker or so I thought. #2. It turned out to be what I think is a headstone. #3. On the front (?I guess it's the front) are the letters " C B C " and on the rear (?I Guess) are the letters " T H " .No date. I'll be on the web looking those up tonight. The stone is about 200 yards off a major north/ south route between Washington and Philladelphia. Highly traveled since the 1700's. Any thoughts? Give me your best guesses. Ihaven't really done any detecting or digging at the site yet, just getting my bearings. It is looking very promising though.

Attachments

• P2180216 (Small).JPG
    P2180216 (Small).JPG
    113 KB · Views: 331
  • P2180218 (Small).JPG
    P2180218 (Small).JPG
    79.3 KB · Views: 338
  • P2180220 (Small).JPG
    P2180220 (Small).JPG
    84.8 KB · Views: 328
Upvote 0

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Posably Boundry Marker, Or old Road Milage Marker. I doubt a headstone because it appears to be on the edge of a hill. If it's a Milage marker Naturally there would be Numbers on it somewhere also so it's posable C.B.C. owned the land on one side & T.H. the other. Could this be on a Township or County Line ?

S

SASQUASH

Well there is one way to find out . I have come across ed too human remains & one was a murder victim but that is another story. It definitely looks old and like you said where it is located sher is odd. I wold def. give it a good working with the M.D. If it is a head stone or if you find old things around that area then look around or work your way out .

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Soembody was there sometime in the past. If they carved those initials maybe they dropped a coin or two also! Go get 'em!

nitro

Dec 30, 2004
Round Rock, Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What ever it is, it does look like it will be a good hunting site for a while. It will be interesting to see what all you pull out of the ground. Happy Hunting.

OP
OP
TOWcritter

TOWcritter

Yeah, it's at the far end of the mill site. The whole site sits on its own peninsula surrounded on 3 sides by swamp. I'm starting to change my opinion on what the site could be. I'm starting to lean more towards cannery than mill. I've been doing alot of research on the area but there is no specific mention of this place so far. And I've gone back to 1774. I'll keep you updated.

lobsterman

Jan 8, 2005
Maine
i have a nearly identical marker out in the woods out behind my house, here it is the boundry line between two towns, if the initials don't match the names of the towns or counties on both sides i'd check to see if possibly the towns or counties went by another name back then, i highly doubt it's a headstone,but ya never know :)

Pat.

Colorado2

Dec 26, 2004
Berthoud CO
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's MXT, Fisher Gold Bug II
I think it was a historical meeting place for Treasure Hunters Anonomous.? The inscription was their motto....THCBC...Treasure Hunting Can't Be Controlled! Or maybe a warning... Treasure Hunting Can Be Contagious ;D~CO2

Bjorn_MD

Nov 19, 2003
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT
Tow,

Lots of interesting goodies at the site. The lettering looks a little crude for a county highered boundary marker to me. I think it's more of the work of a novice, but it well may be a person's way of marking personal property boundaries. It's certainly intriguing either way.

Hope it's cache marker. Reminds me of the detectorist who found a jar of silver dollars under a concrete cube (2' x 2' x 2'). His coil detected the spigot of a jug that contained a mason jar that contained the cache, all located directly under the cube. Nice bank.

The weather seems to be getting better. That's a relief.

Bjorn

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread