Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Todays trash:

9_8_2012 trash.jpg

The WWII US Army rifle proficiency badge, was my good find of today. Think this is a first silver military medal finding for me! Quite a thrill it was and unexpected in the ground. Got a 1946 silver dime also so it was a double good silver day !

9_8_2012 medal day f.jpg 9_8_2012 medal day r.jpg

Total finds for the day :

9_8_2012 total goodies.jpg

Thanks for taking a little trip down nostalgia lane with us ! Hope all your hunts are full of history !

Upvote 13

Hendo0601

Jul 30, 2014
California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Rayrayvegas yours is less ornate because it's a "sharpshooter" badge. In the Army there are 3 types of weapons qualification badges. Marksman is the lowest level of qualification and looks like your badge but without the bullseye in the middle. Sharpshooter is the mid level qualification and the badge is as shown in your post. Expert is the highest level (and hardest to get) and features the wreath around the maltese cross, such as the OP found. All of the qualification badges have loops underneath them to attach devices for different weapons such as rifle, carbine, pistol, machine gun, etc.

Sobo

Apr 29, 2011
Detector(s) used
Ctx 3030, Omega 8500, AT Pro, Ace 150, Explorer XS, Explorer SE / Sunray Probe, Bounter Hunter Land Ranger Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sweet badge, thanks for posting! :hello2:

OP
OP
CoinandRelicMan

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on a great find, found a silver one awhile back but yours is much more ornate. Nice dig.

Hi rayray , thanks brother, sweet find, thanks for pointing that out !

Nice one found me one to years ago..

Hi park pirate, sweet !

Wow! Now that is a nice find, you don't run across those every day! Congrats on your silver! Nicely done!

Hi Msbeep ! Thanks for them kudos =)

It was very hard to keep it shiny so most of us bought the Stay-Brite kind. Don't have to polish those.

Hi DixieLandMan, thanks for that info, what were the "Stay-Brite" ones made out of ?

Rayrayvegas yours is less ornate because it's a "sharpshooter" badge. In the Army there are 3 types of weapons qualification badges. Marksman is the lowest level of qualification and looks like your badge but without the bullseye in the middle. Sharpshooter is the mid level qualification and the badge is as shown in your post. Expert is the highest level (and hardest to get) and features the wreath around the maltese cross, such as the OP found. All of the qualification badges have loops underneath them to attach devices for different weapons such as rifle, carbine, pistol, machine gun, etc.

Hi Hendo, thanks very much for that information, much appreciated, did not know there are three types !!

Sweet badge, thanks for posting! :hello2:

Hi Sobo , your welcome ! and thanks =)

rayrayvegas

Bronze Member
Jan 2, 2013
🥇 Banner finds

Thanks for the info, nice to find out. Also dug a silver badge for a driver or mechanic I think?

ForumRunner_20140910_074748.png

ForumRunner_20140910_074829.png

Hendo0601

Jul 30, 2014
California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes the other badge you found is known as a "Driver and Mechanic Badge" but more commonly referred to as just a drivers badge. Underneath would have been the bars denoting "Driver" followed by a letter corresponding to the type of vehicle, "Mechanic" meaning the wearer is a mechanic, or "Operator" meaning the wearer is proficient in operating special vehicles. Very cool that you found them next to each other!!!

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very Cool WW2 Find.., It should look great on display.

I found some 'Wings' last year and know how it feels to unexpectedly find a piece from that era.
Those Silver Dimes add up as well.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great info, Hendo0601
Always good to learn something new.

I would assume such Badges are made of brass these days.???

Davers

OP
OP
CoinandRelicMan

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very Cool WW2 Find.., It should look great on display.

I found some 'Wings' last year and know how it feels to unexpectedly find a piece from that era.
Those Silver Dimes add up as well.

Hi Davers, thanks for the kudos, yeah currently I have it in one of those vinyl coin holders =)
Sweet story on the "Wings" would love to find a set of those sometime ! True on the dimes, just need to find them more often, silver is sparse here ! There have been some real detecting pros in this area over the years have heard some stories on their massive silver pickings!

DixieLandMan

Sep 18, 2013
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 202, White's MXT, Fisher CZ-21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi DixieLandMan, thanks for that info, what were the "Stay-Brite" ones made out of ?

not sure what they are made out of but they are very shiny. I would think some kind of steel with a coating on it.

rayrayvegas

Bronze Member
Jan 2, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Thanks for this thread post. I have learned alot. I love posts that are informative and where I learn something new from them.

Hendo0601

Jul 30, 2014
California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
These days they are just made out of cheap cast metal with either a chrome finish or nickel plating. I'm sure if you paid enough money you could still get them in sterling silver, but the "STA-BRITE" ones do what their name says and they rarely need anything other than a quick wipe to get the dust off. All of my awards on my dress uniform are the STA-BRITE versions as they look the best.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome find! My knees buckled when I found my WW2 Silver...congrats to you!
042.JPG

OP
OP
CoinandRelicMan

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
These days they are just made out of cheap cast metal with either a chrome finish or nickel plating. I'm sure if you paid enough money you could still get them in sterling silver, but the "STA-BRITE" ones do what their name says and they rarely need anything other than a quick wipe to get the dust off. All of my awards on my dress uniform are the STA-BRITE versions as they look the best.

Hi again Hendo, thanks so much for sharing with us your knowledge ! Guys like you make Tnet a better place =)

Awesome find! My knees buckled when I found my WW2 Silver...congrats to you!
View attachment 1051380

Hi BigWaveDave =) Thanks man ! Man those wings are beautiful, thanks for sharing that picture !! It was good luck for me that I was on my knee pads just a digging away when the medal showed up in the dirt ! I was like "NOW THATS A FIND !!" and after staring for a while I moved it into my finds holder, then I started looking around because I had verbalized that thought ! Lucky for me no one was nearby lol !!

Last edited:

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting