Saxon or viking ?

Roman Hunter

Sep 30, 2013
SHROPSHIRE UK
Detector(s) used
DEUS V2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This was found on my forum dig on sun its part of a strapend , the eyes are glass/stone is it saxon or viking or other .

WP_003027.jpg WP_003026.jpg
Free forum : Detecting-England - Portal*

Upvote 6

MuckyBottles

Bronze Member
Jun 19, 2013
Stony Point, NY
Detector(s) used
Whites coin master gt..ace 250&350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To me it looks like the end of a sword/ dagger scabbard. I would lean towards Saxon due to the fact that I don't see any Elder Futhark rune inscriptions.

OP
OP
Roman Hunter

Roman Hunter

Sep 30, 2013
SHROPSHIRE UK
Detector(s) used
DEUS V2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many thanks its solid and there is nothing on the back if thats any help . Roger

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks like the tip of a nose guard off a battle helmet. Just my 2 cents.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To me it looks like the end of a sword/ dagger scabbard. I would lean towards Saxon due to the fact that I don't see any Elder Futhark rune inscriptions.
Why would runes make it Viking :icon_scratch: both Saxon and Viking used runes, and it has correctly been identified it is a strap end not scabbard. The beast / animal head puts it in either time frame you decide Roman Hunter....nice find.:thumbsup:

SS

MuckyBottles

Bronze Member
Jun 19, 2013
Stony Point, NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why would runes make it Viking :icon_scratch: both Saxon and Viking used runes, and it has correctly been identified it is a strap end not scabbard. The beast / animal head puts it in either time frame you decide Roman Hunter....nice find.:thumbsup:

SS

The reason being is without going into a history lesson is the Vikings used Elder Futhark vs Saxon Futhark which an entirely different rune structure.
This is a bad example, but since this is all I can provide from my phone it will have to do.
RUNES GUIDE

bootybandit

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2014
San Diego
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21,
Tecnetics Omega 8000,
T-Rex 9.5"
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cool piece of history!

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The reason being is without going into a history lesson is the Vikings used Elder Futhark vs Saxon Futhark which an entirely different rune structure.
This is a bad example, but since this is all I can provide from my phone it will have to do.
RUNES GUIDE
He's a History lesson for free, Elder Futhark originated from the Germanic tribes from the 2nd to the 8th century, which is one of the area's the Anglo Saxons migrated from to England. In Scandinavia from the late 8th century, the script was simplified to the Younger Futhark, while the Anglo Saxons extended the Futhark which eventually became the Anglo Saxon futhorc. The Futhark of 24 letters is called "Elder Futhark", and was used mostly before the 9th century CE

In England, the Anglo-Saxons brought Futhark from continental Europe in the 5th century CE and modified it into the 33-letter Futhorc to accommodate sound changes that were occurring in Old English. In England, Anglo-Saxon Futhorc started to be replaced by the Latin alphabet by the 9th century CE, and did not survive much more past the Norman Conquest of 1066

This strap end dates to is what's known in England as the Dark Ages, when Anglo Saxon and Viking Invaders occupied the land. Both Saxon and Viking strap ends are very similar in design, both used fantastic animal designs, it's not the lack of any runic letters that dates this item to it being Saxon /Viking but the design, and as both used this type of design, it's very hard to tell which one.

SS

Last edited:
OP
OP
Roman Hunter

Roman Hunter

Sep 30, 2013
SHROPSHIRE UK
Detector(s) used
DEUS V2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very interesting the thing with this hobby your always learning stuff thanks silver searcher .

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would be logging it as Anglo-Saxon. Nice find, search that area carefully, there should be a Sceat around.

MuckyBottles

Bronze Member
Jun 19, 2013
Stony Point, NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He's a History lesson for free, Elder Futhark originated from the Germanic tribes from the 2nd to the 8th century, which is one of the area's the Anglo Saxons migrated from to England. In Scandinavia from the late 8th century, the script was simplified to the Younger Futhark, while the Anglo Saxons extended the Futhark which eventually became the Anglo Saxon futhorc. The Futhark of 24 letters is called "Elder Futhark", and was used mostly before the 9th century CE

In England, the Anglo-Saxons brought Futhark from continental Europe in the 5th century CE and modified it into the 33-letter Futhorc to accommodate sound changes that were occurring in Old English. In England, Anglo-Saxon Futhorc started to be replaced by the Latin alphabet by the 9th century CE, and did not survive much more past the Norman Conquest of 1066

This strap end dates to is what's known in England as the Dark Ages, when Anglo Saxon and Viking Invaders occupied the land. Both Saxon and Viking strap ends are very similar in design, both used fantastic animal designs, it's not the lack of any runic letters that dates this item to it being Saxon /Viking but the design, and as both used this type of design, it's very hard to tell which one.

SS
First off its the Saxons that invaded, not Anglo-Saxons. It's Futhark, due to the fact that Futhark were the original letters of the runic alphabet.
Listen I don't do p------ matchs, nor copy and paste from Wikipedia, et.al., so we will agree to disagree.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First off its the Saxons that invaded, not Anglo-Saxons. It's Futhark, due to the fact that Futhark were the original letters of the runic alphabet.
Listen I don't do p------ matchs, nor copy and paste from Wikipedia, et.al., so we will agree to disagree.
Well perhaps you should use Wiki a bit more, then your facts might be right from time to time. The Anglo Saxons migrated, not invaded England. Angles (Northern Albingia) and the Saxons (Saxony) Saxons, along with the Angles and other continental Germanic tribes, participated in the Anglo Saxon Settlement of Britain during and after the 5th century...

Another free History Lesson for you, I normally charge :laughing7:

SS

MuckyBottles

Bronze Member
Jun 19, 2013
Stony Point, NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well perhaps you should use Wiki a bit more, then your facts might be right from time to time. The Anglo Saxons migrated, not invaded England. Angles (Northern Albingia) and the Saxons (Saxony) Saxons, along with the Angles and other continental Germanic tribes, participated in the Anglo Saxon Settlement of Britain during and after the 5th century...

Another free History Lesson for you, I normally charge :laughing7:

SS
If you rely on Wikipedia for your information, I have stunning beach front property to sell in Arizona at a ridiculously cheap price.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you rely on Wikipedia for your information, I have stunning beach front property to sell in Arizona at a ridiculously cheap price.
I don't rely on Wiki when it comes to my native history, but yes I will quote from the site I find it very use full for conforming what I already know.

SS

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions