Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Saxon or viking ?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    gb
    www.detecting-in-england.com

Sep 2013
    SHROPSHIRE UK
    DEUS V2
    55 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Saxon or viking ?

This was found on my forum dig on sun its part of a strapend , the eyes are glass/stone is it saxon or viking or other .

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_003027.jpg 
Views:	237 
Size:	980.5 KB 
ID:	1051504Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_003026.jpg 
Views:	226 
Size:	775.4 KB 
ID:	1051505
    Free forum : Detecting-England - Portal*

Mar 2012
    940 times
    Nice digs.

us
    Eyes Open, Ears Up..BEEEEP!

Jun 2013
    Stony Point, NY
    Whites coin master gt..ace 250&350
    1567 times
    To me it looks like the end of a sword/ dagger scabbard. I would lean towards Saxon due to the fact that I don't see any Elder Futhark rune inscriptions.
    Bottle Bandito

gb

Sep 2013
    SHROPSHIRE UK
    DEUS V2
    55 times
    Many thanks its solid and there is nothing on the back if thats any help . Roger

us
    The Urban Pirate

Jul 2014
    New York City
    Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250, Mark II, Pro-pointer, RadEye Radiation Detector
    5726 times
    If there's no dirt under your nails, you're not trying hard enough.
    Banner Finds (2)
    It looks like the tip of a nose guard off a battle helmet. Just my 2 cents.
    Let history be your treasure map .

Quote Originally Posted by MuckyBottles View Post
    To me it looks like the end of a sword/ dagger scabbard. I would lean towards Saxon due to the fact that I don't see any Elder Futhark rune inscriptions.
    Why would runes make it Viking both Saxon and Viking used runes, and it has correctly been identified it is a strap end not scabbard. The beast / animal head puts it in either time frame you decide Roman Hunter....nice find.

SS
    Don't piss down my back, then tell me it's raining.

gb

Sep 2013
    SHROPSHIRE UK
    DEUS V2
    55 times
    Many thanks for replies all cheers .

us

Jun 2013
    Stony Point, NY
    1567 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver Searcher View Post
    Why would runes make it Viking both Saxon and Viking used runes, and it has correctly been identified it is a strap end not scabbard. The beast / animal head puts it in either time frame you decide Roman Hunter....nice find.

SS
    The reason being is without going into a history lesson is the Vikings used Elder Futhark vs Saxon Futhark which an entirely different rune structure.
    This is a bad example, but since this is all I can provide from my phone it will have to do.
    RUNES GUIDE
    Bottle Bandito

Charter Member
    us
    Surf-N-Turf

Aug 2014
    San Diego
    Fisher CZ-21, Tecnetics Omega 8000, T-Rex 9.5"
    492 times
    Metal Detecting
    Cool piece of history!
    "A bad day of metal detecting, is better than a good day at work"

Can You Dig It

U.S. Navy (Retired) 1986-2009

The reason being is without going into a history lesson is the Vikings used Elder Futhark vs Saxon Futhark which an entirely different rune structure.
    This is a bad example, but since this is all I can provide from my phone it will have to do.
    RUNES GUIDE
    He's a History lesson for free, Elder Futhark originated from the Germanic tribes from the 2nd to the 8th century, which is one of the area's the Anglo Saxons migrated from to England. In Scandinavia from the late 8th century, the script was simplified to the Younger Futhark, while the Anglo Saxons extended the Futhark which eventually became the Anglo Saxon futhorc. The Futhark of 24 letters is called "Elder Futhark", and was used mostly before the 9th century CE

In England, the Anglo-Saxons brought Futhark from continental Europe in the 5th century CE and modified it into the 33-letter Futhorc to accommodate sound changes that were occurring in Old English. In England, Anglo-Saxon Futhorc started to be replaced by the Latin alphabet by the 9th century CE, and did not survive much more past the Norman Conquest of 1066

This strap end dates to is what's known in England as the Dark Ages, when Anglo Saxon and Viking Invaders occupied the land. Both Saxon and Viking strap ends are very similar in design, both used fantastic animal designs, it's not the lack of any runic letters that dates this item to it being Saxon /Viking but the design, and as both used this type of design, it's very hard to tell which one.

SS
    Last edited by Silver Searcher; Sep 12, 2014 at 04:55 AM.

gb

Sep 2013
    SHROPSHIRE UK
    DEUS V2
    55 times
    Very interesting the thing with this hobby your always learning stuff thanks silver searcher .

I would be logging it as Anglo-Saxon. Nice find, search that area carefully, there should be a Sceat around.
    TOO BUSY TO DETECT,YOU'RE TOO BUSY!!!

'Time isn't money it's finds, unless your finds are money' 08/12/17
    'No good comes from thinking about how much time we waste detecting, as wasted time is good soul time' 25/06/08
    A real man thinks about detecting every 6 seconds.
    'They look over their shoulder, I look to the ground' 30/09/12
    We can not understand ourselves unless we understand our HISTORY.
    PMA:Positive MetalDetecting Attitude.
    Why is knowledge power, when life is passing on sh*t... 03/03/19
    ONE LIFE - DETECT IT

us

Jun 2013
    Stony Point, NY
    1567 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver Searcher View Post
    He's a History lesson for free, Elder Futhark originated from the Germanic tribes from the 2nd to the 8th century, which is one of the area's the Anglo Saxons migrated from to England. In Scandinavia from the late 8th century, the script was simplified to the Younger Futhark, while the Anglo Saxons extended the Futhark which eventually became the Anglo Saxon futhorc. The Futhark of 24 letters is called "Elder Futhark", and was used mostly before the 9th century CE

In England, the Anglo-Saxons brought Futhark from continental Europe in the 5th century CE and modified it into the 33-letter Futhorc to accommodate sound changes that were occurring in Old English. In England, Anglo-Saxon Futhorc started to be replaced by the Latin alphabet by the 9th century CE, and did not survive much more past the Norman Conquest of 1066

This strap end dates to is what's known in England as the Dark Ages, when Anglo Saxon and Viking Invaders occupied the land. Both Saxon and Viking strap ends are very similar in design, both used fantastic animal designs, it's not the lack of any runic letters that dates this item to it being Saxon /Viking but the design, and as both used this type of design, it's very hard to tell which one.

SS
    First off its the Saxons that invaded, not Anglo-Saxons. It's Futhark, due to the fact that Futhark were the original letters of the runic alphabet.
    Listen I don't do p------ matchs, nor copy and paste from Wikipedia, et.al., so we will agree to disagree.
    Bottle Bandito

First off its the Saxons that invaded, not Anglo-Saxons. It's Futhark, due to the fact that Futhark were the original letters of the runic alphabet.
    Listen I don't do p------ matchs, nor copy and paste from Wikipedia, et.al., so we will agree to disagree.
    Well perhaps you should use Wiki a bit more, then your facts might be right from time to time. The Anglo Saxons migrated, not invaded England. Angles (Northern Albingia) and the Saxons (Saxony) Saxons, along with the Angles and other continental Germanic tribes, participated in the Anglo Saxon Settlement of Britain during and after the 5th century...

Another free History Lesson for you, I normally charge

SS
    tinpan likes this.

us
    Prospector-Miner-Collector

Jul 2014
    N.E. Tennessee
    Shovels....lots of shovels!
    1280 times
    Minerals,Gemstones,Opals,Fossils & more!
    Very interesting piece!

Fine Minerals & Gemstones from the Appalachians

- My Land Matters -
    Advanced Prospecting Tools

In memory of our Brother "EagleDown" 1937-2014

Bedrock and Gold: The mysteries . . .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links