Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1920's Sterling Silver Mirror and Chainmail Bag

Another dump find, this time some 1920's stuff. Found this amongst household junk someone tossed. There were some other old things like combs and books but they were all broken and must have been outside in the elements for quite some time.

mirror 3.jpg
This is the mirror, the glass is gone but other than that it is in remarkably good shape.
mirror 2.jpg
At first I didn't think this mirror was worth anything becasue I couldn't find any hallmarks, then I saw them neatly hidden under a layer of tarnish.
Did some research and found out that the lion and anchor stamp stand for "Birmingham and Sterling silver" but I don't know what the other markings mean.
mirror 4.jpg
This is the back of the mirror where an inscription is made in the center.
1927.jpg
Close up of the inscription. It is dated April 30th 1927 which means the mirror is probably just a little bit older than that.
This was probably a gift to a girl (EL) by her husband or boyfriend.

bag 1.jpg
This is some kind of base-metal chain-mail bag. I know it was a popular accessory during the 1920's Flapper-era.
It's a little damaged but should be easily reparable with some needled nosed pliers. No idea of its value but I think it has some.
bag 2.jpg
No idea what these markings mean, maybe the manufacturer?

Last edited:
Upvote 13

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Those are some nice items. Id get a peice of mirror cut to fit that bad boy

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow, amazing what people will throw away. the mirror is worth at least melt, but repaired could be more. Those purses usually go for 100 to 200 bucks at antique stores around here

rodarian

Jul 20, 2014
upstate New York
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, ACE250, Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Both very nice but i really like that hand bag. Gratz!

OP
OP
UnderMiner

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hands off, that's my garbage :laughing7:

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you sure the bag is base metal ? It's a wonderful find either way ! The mirror could be restored fairly easily .

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Kind of overused but "One mans trash is another's treasure !" Congrats on the treasures !!

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Really nice finds.

What I wanna' know is, WHO throws away silver?? It never fails to boggle my mind.
I've never lost (or trashed) a single gold or silver item in my life; especially something so large.

Whoever threw it away, it sure was lucky for you huh??
Congrats on your awesome finds.

MackDigger

Mar 9, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing. I have had great luck at an old dump site near me but never anything that awesome! Congrats!

OP
OP
UnderMiner

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Would be really cool if it were silver right? But I did some research and I can't seem to find any examples of these bags made from silver. Almost all examples are made of this material called "Nickle Silver" or "Argentan" which is a base metal alloy of nickle and brass. I'm not 100% sure if that is the same material this bag is made of but I'm pretty sure, I'll have to do an acid test to be 100% certain.

ATpro5

Jan 4, 2013
SW Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster,At Pro,Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was thinking silver also... someone on here found a sterling mesh bag a while back.

mrsljwalker

Jul 20, 2013
Really nice finds. What I wanna' know is, WHO throws away silver?? It never fails to boggle my mind. I've never lost (or trashed) a single gold or silver item in my life; especially something so large. Whoever threw it away, it sure was lucky for you huh?? Congrats on your awesome finds.

Just a thought here...pretty common behavior of criminals to throw away the evidence of a crime...maybe he stumbled upon a 1920's to 1930's mystery. Missing girl? Purse snatcher? maybe he should get a cadaver dog out there just in case. OK I do have a big imagination. I looked up the hallmarks and they may refer to silversmith Henry Charles Freeman, Burmingham, early to mid 1900's.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds My Man!

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many of these mesh bags made of sterling silver - you really must get it checked out, the mirror is almost certainly 1920's - it won't cost
much to pop a new glass in there - and your wife, or girlfriend ,or daughter , will love it . The large ring with the marks on it are your
"makers" mark- and there may be a metal quality mark there as well (sterling/925) get on that with some good light and magnification ,
excellent finds !

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions