1652 PINE TREE SCHILLING !!!

silversurfer1111

Jul 14, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
GARRET AT PRO ..Whites Classic SL. . modified 9 Function Metal Detector from Harbor Freight tools
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My friend the fire man found this.he sure did his research. If anyone can give me any information about the coin.. how much is it worth ? any unique features ?..that would be great .I am sure he is not going to sell it ...he just wants to know out of curiosity ..Thanks for looking
20140912_133124-1.jpg 20140912_133058-1.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 16

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks to be in nice condition , edges seem to be clipped ? I have to think you've scored pretty big - but will defer to the experts here . Fantastic find !

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a coin that could be on the banner.... Too bad it's not yours! The condition is outstanding - wish they could be found in Central PA!

Gaspipe

Bronze Member
Sep 6, 2013
New England
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro; F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh my if that thing is genuine what an incredible find . If it were yours banner all day long!

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Talk about a grail find!

Now there's the ones that take you right back to the very beginning of North American coinage

Great find from a great site

Last edited:

Greylock

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2012
Western MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's the coin I dream about. Definitely banner worthy. Tell your friend congrats

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• pine_tree_n08_1obv.jpg
    pine_tree_n08_1obv.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 1,309
  • pine_tree_n08_1rev.jpg
    pine_tree_n08_1rev.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 1,364

bootybandit

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2014
San Diego
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21,
Tecnetics Omega 8000,
T-Rex 9.5"
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Amazing! If you look on Ebay, you'll find a few for sale.

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Really nice.

OP
OP
silversurfer1111

silversurfer1111

Jul 14, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
GARRET AT PRO ..Whites Classic SL. . modified 9 Function Metal Detector from Harbor Freight tools
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looked at everything I could click on and nothing was close, so most likely NOE 8.
1652 MASSACHUSETTS
"PINE TREE" SHILLING -
NOE 8
Rarity: Scarce

1652 Massachusetts "Pine Tree" Shilling - Noe 8
Than you for the info.. so if its a noe 8.and extremely scarce does that make it worth more than the average pine tree shilling and why do the edges look cut off ?..did they buy stuff with a small cut pieces or is the coin just like that
?

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Than you for the info.. so if its a noe 8.and extremely scarce does that make it worth more than the average pine tree shilling and why do the edges look cut off ?..did they buy stuff with a small cut pieces or is the coin just like that
?

If it is NOE 8, which it likely is, the best thing to do is to find some sales where the condition is about the same. The surface/grade problems will affect it more than the edge, so don't worry too much about that. It definitely still has some value as would any tree coin, but listed as scarce is not enough rarity to really drive the price so it won't be big money.... hundreds and not thousands, but I don't follow these much so look around.

Last edited:

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tell him I said its priceless, nobody would want to offer you what its really worth, big secrets in the big time coin collecting world, that way they get it cheap, keep the prices cheap. There is a collector out there that has allot of money and would probably want that coin, if he had to wait long enough he would pay for it.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HOPE HE DONT CLEAN IT - HE SHOULD HAVE IT SLABBED - AND GRADED BY PROFESSIONALS
THEY WILL IDENTIFY CORRECTLY AND MAY PUT A VALUE TO IT TOO
THINK THERE IS A PLACE IN EASTERN MASS. THAT DOES IT - YOU'D HAVE TO LOOK IT UP
HERE'S ONE IN MA.
About Bellisario Rare Coin Gallery

dfx willy

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2008
wow that is a killer find! tell the fireman congrats. i know someone who found one in a rhodeisland farm field but thats as close to even seing one as i got.look up the history of them its pretty intresting. thats a once in a lifetime find and i would hunt the piss out of were that came from. willy

49r Relics

Jan 11, 2008
Gold Country (California)
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett AT Pro, Makro Racer 2, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Detector Pro Grey Ghost headphones, Lesche diggers, Apex picks.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, an amazingly rare find! Any details about how and where it was found? And I agree, advise him not to clean it and congrats to him,

doninbrewster

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2013
New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It appears Iron Patch is correct. In the scheme of things, the Noe 8 Pine Tree Shilling is one of the more common of the large planchet pieces. Although rated as "scarce", when it comes to Mass Silver, that isn't that rare. It does look like a very nice piece. Although it seems to have some light surface corrosion, it was probably an XF when it was lost. Not a lot of actual wear. Argentium mentioned it might be clipped and it could be although seeing odd shapes on large planchet Pine Tree Shillings is quite common. Best way to know is to weigh it. Standard weight is 72 grains. The best scale for weighing these is a reloading scale. My favorite and the one I use for all my colonials is the RCBS balance scale. ARMSLIST - For Sale: Reloading Scale~RCBS Balance Beam Scale The scale is accurate to 1/10 of a grain. Value? I would think at least $2k and could be more if consigned to the right auction. Massachusetts silver coinage has become very popular over the last 20 years. I remember when I first started collecting colonials you could get a VF New England Shilling for $12-15k. It seems those same coins now look like $100k.

Forgot to mention.......Amazing Find! Massachusetts silver and in particular the large planchet pieces are rare coming out of the ground.

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi; Suggestion is to send it to PCGS. They will Grade, Certify and Slab it for him. I believe they charge a Sliding Fee for their Services.but once it is done there will NEVER be a question as to its Rarity, Grade or Value. It will also be Registered in their files so if it is ever stolen then you will have a Photographic Record to show the Police as well.
In 1988 I had several coins stolen and that is exactly how I not only Identified the coins but was also able to catch the thief. He took the coins to a local dealer who I notified of the theft. He called the cops and the busted the guy via the idiots Signature and the guys picture from the stores camera. He did a year for the Robbery. Grand Larceny. It was this clowns seventh conviction. Good riddance to the scum bag.
Lastly, the nick on the edge is a natural wear. If it ad been cut the slice would have been larger and cleaner. It might be a plow strike but otherwise it is natural ok.
Hope this helps. Great Find. PEACE:RONB :notworthy:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As mentuioned above, it could be irregular & the right weight. If its the right weight then the clipping was done as part of the minting proccess. If it is under weight then you could argue that it was done later. Its been happening from medieval times when the hammered silver had bits robbed/clipped off & collected until you had enough to melt down & re-purpose. (if you got caught clipping in the medieval period, you had your hands cut off, so it was risky) Metal as a commodity started in the Bronze Age, precious metals, even little bits have a value.

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Amazing find!! Check my Banner Find- I found one in March, 2008 in Acushnet Mass. Need to get it authenticated- hard to tell from the pic. Mine sold at auction for almost 2K, due to the usual "environmental damage". Congrats though and here's hoping it's genuine!

-- JeffInMass --

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread