Good News from the Pawn Shop, A bit of Not so Good News and Assorted Digs......

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So It was pouring down rain this morning so I took the opportunity to take some questionable finds to a nearby pawn shop to have them tested.

I guess I'll break the bad news first. Unfortunately, this is not real:

Possible Diamond Three 001.JPG

I found this earring a week ago and I was really hoping that it was real but alas, it was not to be. Although it scratches glass and will not retain heat, it's a very high quality CZ stone. Even though it's fake it's still pretty. It fooled several people I showed it to but I guess that's the point huh??

Now the really good news. This IS Real:

Possible Real 001.JPG

This is an unmarked 10K ladies ring I dug up a few months ago when I was still using my Tracker IV. As I had suspected (and hoped), it's been re sized and the markings were removed as a result. So that was my very best "new" old find of the day.

Everyone needs to check and re check their "junk" jewelry because even though it may not be marked, it may still be real. That's two gold finds for me from my junk pile. The first was pointed out to me here and I greatly appreciate it. Hopefully, I'm getting better at telling the real from the fake. I was sitting on that ring for months thinking it was just more junk.

I went back to my secret cave again even though it was still raining a bit and although I found an interesting variety of things, I didn't find anything old or really noteworthy.

Assorted Digs Sept. 13, 2014 001.JPG

There's a cool Scorpion lookin' 1985 Hot Wheels toy car, an old spoon handle I was hoping may be silver but wasn't, a master combination lock dial, another unfired .38 Special round, an orange transistor or capacitor or something, a button that says "Black Stallion", a fragment of blue china with gold paint (I looked for the rest of it but found nothing), and assorted clad.

That's about it.

I also talked to the old guy again who gave me the history of the cave and the Indian woman who lived there. I found out she lived there from 1959-1962 and get this, she actually DIED in this cave. So, maybe it's haunted or maybe she's helping me find stuff; who knows??

The old guy asked me when I was going to start hunting his 1700's property. I can't do it tomorrow but maybe after work next week. I think he's getting excited to find out what's there after I told him what I've been digging up lately.

Overall it was a fun hunt, a great day and my my good news from the pawn shop was more than welcome.

Thanks for looking and HH.

******UPDATE******

I looked up the Hot Wheels car and that particular one is bringing about 13 bucks!!

Last edited:
Upvote 8

Hendo0601

Jul 30, 2014
California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well as they say no noose is good noose! Wait...that's what the hangman says....If the pawn man says it's gold woohooo!!! I have been following along with your cave dig...and man you just get the most random stuff out of there...and enough ammo to fend off a raiding party! Congrats on the gold score!

OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well as they say no noose is good noose! Wait...that's what the hangman says....If the pawn man says it's gold woohooo!!! I have been following along with your cave dig...and man you just get the most random stuff out of there...and enough ammo to fend off a raiding party! Congrats on the gold score!

Thanks.
Yeah, that cave is crazy. There are two more rooms but they're inaccessible due to a long ago cave in.

I actually tried to peek through some cracks to see if I could find a way in but there's just no way. It's completely blocked off. I can only imagine what treasures could be sealed up behind the rocks.

It's pretty creepy back there too; especially after hearing about the lady who died there.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
congrats, sounds like the old man is really excited, hopefully he won't get in your way too much. GL & HH

OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
congrats, sounds like the old man is really excited, hopefully he won't get in your way too much. GL & HH

He moves pretty slow. I don't think he'll follow me around for too long. He's also deaf in one ear and can't hear out the other.

He's an awesome guy though. I want to pick his brain some more. He has so much historical knowledge it's amazing and he retains it surprisingly well. He can tell me the year and even the month of things that have happened over the last 50 plus years. His knowledge of the area is amazing and extremely detailed. People like him are an incredible resource. It's a shame that modern society seems to try and hide the older folks away. What a waste.

I've lived in this area my whole life as did both of my parents, grandparents and great and great, great grandparents but I'm learning things I have NEVER heard of before from this man. I'm so glad I knocked on his door. It literally took him almost five minutes to answer it that first day.

Fortunately, he has a really nice wife too. They probably really keep each other going.

Last edited:

RJ55

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2014
western NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
congrats on the ring

g-olden years

Silver Member
Nov 10, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
You've certainly been having wonderful adventures! :occasion18::blob9::occasion18: The elderly couple who're eager for you to search their land are a huge treasure even if the land yields little. It'll probably yield a lot though - whee! :icon_thumright: Our oldest friend lived to be over 100 years old, active throughout, and was happy to share his knowledge of life & his jokes too.

You're wise not to poke around the 2 old cave-ins, as what's caved in once can certainly cave in again. If the spirit of the woman who lived in the cave is still around, she's probably protective of your search, not riled up. Thanks for sharing your pics, your gold & nearly-gold items, and your experiences! :notworthy: Have Fun! Andi

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions