Sep 10, 2010
Western Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
First of all.....WOW!

OKAY back on track! So a while ago, perhaps a week ago, I noticed that a field that has been very productive for us in the past had been plowed up and rained on. This field has given up many great finds, for me personally I have found an 1805 large cent, an 1820 capped bust dime (in amazing condition), my War of 1812 Massachusetts Artillery button, and my Washington inaugural button. I know of many other great finds that have come from here, but I don't want to take up the post with those finds :P

Fast forward to yesterday, I received a call from my cousin Norma, asking me if I wanted to come over, and later that night join them to an excursion to the woods. (Norma is a sasquatch enthusiast so we like to go out and try to gather evidence of its existence. We usually do this around a campfire, listening for howls, etc.) Anyways, I said yes, and I arrived at Bob and Norma's house around 3:15. It did not take long for me to mention the field which was in prime condition, even more so since it was raining. Since it was still early, Bob and I decided to go check it out. We got there a little after four. I was borrowing his MPx metal detector that his daughter bought him as a spare. It didn't perform well though, iron was reading like pull tabs and half dollars, and it was unusable. So he called be over after a little while and offered to share his XLT with me, he would do a row down the field, when we reached the end, I would take over. So he finished his row, and then it was my turn. I got about thirty feet into the row when I got a strong signal reading between 22 and 30 on the VDI. Since I had the detector, he dug it and pinpointed it. We could see it in the dirt, a little button. He then picked it up and gave it to me. I took it and wiped the dirt off, and I could not believe what I saw. "Are you kidding me?" I whispered to myself. My jaw was dropped down low, and Bob was like "What? What is it?" I said "Long Live the President..." It took me a minute to recuperate and get back to reality, but I was absolutely elated. At the time, I felt bad, because if Bob hadn't invited me over to use his machine, then that button would have been his. But those feelings would not last. "Okay. Now you go and find one," I told him. Who knew he could be so obedient?

We were three rows down the field (it was his turn then mine and now it was his turn again), and about twenty feet away from where I found my button, Bob got a signal. He pinpointed it with his detector, and said "One inch deep." "Not even!" I replied, as it was right on the surface: a button, shank side up. He reached down to pick it up, but I stopped him, asked if I could take a picture first. He said of course, and made a joke about it being another GW button. I took the photo below, and then picked it up. When I removed the dirt from the face, I couldn't help but laugh in amazement. "Long live the president!" I said, to his disbelief. I had to assure him that I was not kidding, and we were just both in shock and awe. Two rare buttons, two guys, one detector, one field, one day. Nothing could top that. (Well, perhaps a tree coin :P)

Okay! Thank you all for reading! Happy Hunting!

-Anthony

EDIT: My other finds for the day were three buttons, a parasol piece, a thimble, some pottery, and some whatzits.
Also, past auction sale prices for this particular button include $1,400 (in rough shape), $6,050 (in comparable condition), and $17,000 (very publicized auction, extremely fine condition). Though these are all from before 2006, so I do not know how the market has changed. I'm hoping I can get at least a few thousand for it! Cheers!

Attachments

• My Button - Field.jpg
    My Button - Field.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 459
  • Bob's Button In Situ.jpg
    Bob's Button In Situ.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 408
  • Bob's Button in Hand.jpg
    Bob's Button in Hand.jpg
    178.1 KB · Views: 452
  • My GW Buttons.jpg
    My GW Buttons.jpg
    170.5 KB · Views: 464
  • GW Button Detail.jpg
    GW Button Detail.jpg
    217.2 KB · Views: 444
  • Group Finds.jpg
    Group Finds.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 389
Last edited:
Upvote 53

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome!!! Two thumbs up! :thumbsup: :icon_thumleft: Banner vote is in as well. It's hard to beat Washington Inaugural buttons in regards to finds of historical significance, as they have a direct connection with an important event in the nation's history. They are valuable finds also due to their scarcity or rarity, and they are highly sought after by collectors. I must admit that I have a considerable bias for George Washington Inaugurals that will become clearly understood within the next few days. ;D

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
First of all.....WOW!

OKAY back on track! So a while ago, perhaps a week ago, I noticed that a field that has been very productive for us in the past had been plowed up and rained on. This field has given up many great finds, for me personally I have found an 1805 large cent, an 1820 capped bust dime (in amazing condition), my War of 1812 Massachusetts Artillery button, and my Washington inaugural button. I know of many other great finds that have come from here, but I don't want to take up the post with those finds :P

Fast forward to yesterday, I received a call from my cousin Norma, asking me if I wanted to come over, and later that night join them to an excursion to the woods. (Norma is a sasquatch enthusiast so we like to go out and try to gather evidence of its existence. We usually do this around a campfire, listening for howls, etc.) Anyways, I said yes, and I arrived at Bob and Norma's house around 3:15. It did not take long for me to mention the field which was in prime condition, even more so since it was raining. Since it was still early, Bob and I decided to go check it out. We got there a little after four. I was borrowing his MPx metal detector that his daughter bought him as a spare. It didn't perform well though, iron was reading like pull tabs and half dollars, and it was unusable. So he called be over after a little while and offered to share his XLT with me, he would do a row down the field, when we reached the end, I would take over. So he finished his row, and then it was my turn. I got about thirty feet into the row when I got a strong signal reading between 22 and 30 on the VDI. Since I had the detector, he dug it and pinpointed it. We could see it in the dirt, a little button. He then picked it up and gave it to me. I took it and wiped the dirt off, and I could not believe what I saw. "Are you kidding me?" I whispered to myself. My jaw was dropped down low, and Bob was like "What? What is it?" I said "Long Live the President..." It took me a minute to recuperate and get back to reality, but I was absolutely elated. At the time, I felt bad, because if Bob hadn't invited me over to use his machine, then that button would have been his. But those feelings would not last. "Okay. Now you go and find one," I told him. Who knew he could be so obedient?

We were three rows down the field (it was his turn then mine and now it was his turn again), and about twenty feet away from where I found my button, Bob got a signal. He pinpointed it with his detector, and said "One inch deep." "Not even!" I replied, as it was right on the surface: a button, shank side up. He reached down to pick it up, but I stopped him, asked if I could take a picture first. He said of course, and made a joke about it being another GW button. I took the photo below, and then picked it up. When I removed the dirt from the face, I couldn't help but laugh in amazement. "Long live the president!" I said, to his disbelief. I had to assure him that I was not kidding, and we were just both in shock and awe. Two rare buttons, two guys, one detector, one field, one day. Nothing could top that. (Well, perhaps a tree coin :P)

I'm still in shock! Sorry about the blurry group shot of the cuff buttons. The bottom left is mine from yesterday, the top is Bob's from yesterday, and the bottom right is Bob's from 2010. Through online research I have found two other cuff buttons just like this that have come from this town. At least two from that field, as well as the 20mm one I found last March.

Okay! Thank you all for reading! Happy Hunting!

-Anthony

EDIT: My other finds for the day were three buttons, a parasol piece, a thimble, some pottery, and some whatzits.
Also, past auction sale prices for this particular button include $1,400 (in rough shape), $6,050 (in comparable condition), and $17,000 (very publicized auction, extremely fine condition). Though these are all from before 2006, so I do not know how the market has changed. I'm hoping I can get at least a few thousand for it! Cheers!
Banner!

OP
OP
RelicHunter97

RelicHunter97

Sep 10, 2010
Western Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome!!! Two thumbs up! :thumbsup: :icon_thumleft: Banner vote is in as well. It's hard to beat Washington Inaugural buttons in regards to finds of historical significance, as they have a direct connection with an important event in the nation's history. They are valuable finds also due to their scarcity or rarity, and they are highly sought after by collectors. I must admit that I have a considerable bias for George Washington Inaugurals that will become clearly understood within the next few days. ;D

Hmm...a mystery! I guess we'll just have to wait and see what this bias is :P

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Banner nomination sent! These are FANTASTIC finds! I wouldn't be surprised if another one or two turned up there. I mean, let's face it. Two GW finds means you are dealing with a discarded coat of buttons. BTW, the photos from the field are absolutely STUNNING.

Congrats!

-Buck

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Find ! But tell me... I see 7 photos.
are all the pics except the group ones your button ?

Or are some your button and some your friends button ? :tongue3:

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great job RH97. That's a memory the two of you will never forget

OP
OP
RelicHunter97

RelicHunter97

Sep 10, 2010
Western Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The first one is mine, in my hand after I found it.
The second one is Bob's, just as we found it, sitting on top of the ground (which is exactly how I found my 20mm button in that same field)
The third is Bob's in my hand.
The fourth is a group shot of our cuff buttons, mine is the lower left, the other two are Bob's (the one he found on this hunt is the top of the "triangle")
The fifth is a photo of my two inaugural buttons together, both from the same field, one 15mm, one 20mm.
The sixth is the cuff button by itself.
The seventh is the rest of my finds from the hunt.
Sorry for any confusion :)
And thank you all for your kind words and banner votes! It means a lot to me!
And @BuckleBoy, there very well may be more there! I've found two there, and now Bob has found one from there, and who knows what other people have found. This field has also produced several early military buttons. Seems to have had a lot of activity!

OP
OP
RelicHunter97

RelicHunter97

Sep 10, 2010
Western Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Oh my goodness! I can't believe I actually made the banner! Thank you all! :D

Happy Hunting!

-Anthony

parsonwalker

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2013
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Modified GI Mine Detector (In the 60s)
Metrotech (In the 70s)
Tesoro Tejon (Now!)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome! and hearty congratulations! The documented history of the "Long Live The President" varieties, has always seemed to me the most interesting of them all, but I'm partial for obvious reasons. Now to go figure out how to vote BANNER

Absolutely off the chart - WOW! Unreal. Reads like a relic hunter's fairy tale!

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sweet button finds there, won't ever happen out here, oh and congrats on the banner too !!

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the banner. Very well deserved. :notworthy:

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh my goodness! I can't believe I actually made the banner! Thank you all! :D

Happy Hunting!

-Anthony

It is a great find for sure and all your friends thought so too! Read Buckle Boys post. Makes sense could be a jacket!
Happy Hunting

OP
OP
RelicHunter97

RelicHunter97

Sep 10, 2010
Western Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It is a great find for sure and all your friends thought so too! Read Buckle Boys post. Makes sense could be a jacket!
Happy Hunting

I saw that post! I think that with the buttons being so close together and in the same layer of soil, there's no way they just happened to fall off at different times in the same place, it had to be a lost jacket!

Darby

Mar 31, 2013
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on banner and awesome finds! To find one GW is a great day, but two!!! Awesome! Still looking for my first one. Congrats again!

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I go away for a day & come back and see this ..WOW

Great Story & Awesome Buttons

Congratz

Davers

p.s. Good Luck Finding "The Big Guy"

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread