Sep 10, 2010
Western Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
First of all.....WOW!

OKAY back on track! So a while ago, perhaps a week ago, I noticed that a field that has been very productive for us in the past had been plowed up and rained on. This field has given up many great finds, for me personally I have found an 1805 large cent, an 1820 capped bust dime (in amazing condition), my War of 1812 Massachusetts Artillery button, and my Washington inaugural button. I know of many other great finds that have come from here, but I don't want to take up the post with those finds :P

Fast forward to yesterday, I received a call from my cousin Norma, asking me if I wanted to come over, and later that night join them to an excursion to the woods. (Norma is a sasquatch enthusiast so we like to go out and try to gather evidence of its existence. We usually do this around a campfire, listening for howls, etc.) Anyways, I said yes, and I arrived at Bob and Norma's house around 3:15. It did not take long for me to mention the field which was in prime condition, even more so since it was raining. Since it was still early, Bob and I decided to go check it out. We got there a little after four. I was borrowing his MPx metal detector that his daughter bought him as a spare. It didn't perform well though, iron was reading like pull tabs and half dollars, and it was unusable. So he called be over after a little while and offered to share his XLT with me, he would do a row down the field, when we reached the end, I would take over. So he finished his row, and then it was my turn. I got about thirty feet into the row when I got a strong signal reading between 22 and 30 on the VDI. Since I had the detector, he dug it and pinpointed it. We could see it in the dirt, a little button. He then picked it up and gave it to me. I took it and wiped the dirt off, and I could not believe what I saw. "Are you kidding me?" I whispered to myself. My jaw was dropped down low, and Bob was like "What? What is it?" I said "Long Live the President..." It took me a minute to recuperate and get back to reality, but I was absolutely elated. At the time, I felt bad, because if Bob hadn't invited me over to use his machine, then that button would have been his. But those feelings would not last. "Okay. Now you go and find one," I told him. Who knew he could be so obedient?

We were three rows down the field (it was his turn then mine and now it was his turn again), and about twenty feet away from where I found my button, Bob got a signal. He pinpointed it with his detector, and said "One inch deep." "Not even!" I replied, as it was right on the surface: a button, shank side up. He reached down to pick it up, but I stopped him, asked if I could take a picture first. He said of course, and made a joke about it being another GW button. I took the photo below, and then picked it up. When I removed the dirt from the face, I couldn't help but laugh in amazement. "Long live the president!" I said, to his disbelief. I had to assure him that I was not kidding, and we were just both in shock and awe. Two rare buttons, two guys, one detector, one field, one day. Nothing could top that. (Well, perhaps a tree coin :P)

Okay! Thank you all for reading! Happy Hunting!

-Anthony

EDIT: My other finds for the day were three buttons, a parasol piece, a thimble, some pottery, and some whatzits.
Also, past auction sale prices for this particular button include $1,400 (in rough shape), $6,050 (in comparable condition), and $17,000 (very publicized auction, extremely fine condition). Though these are all from before 2006, so I do not know how the market has changed. I'm hoping I can get at least a few thousand for it! Cheers!

Attachments

• My Button - Field.jpg
    My Button - Field.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 459
  • Bob's Button In Situ.jpg
    Bob's Button In Situ.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 408
  • Bob's Button in Hand.jpg
    Bob's Button in Hand.jpg
    178.1 KB · Views: 452
  • My GW Buttons.jpg
    My GW Buttons.jpg
    170.5 KB · Views: 464
  • GW Button Detail.jpg
    GW Button Detail.jpg
    217.2 KB · Views: 444
  • Group Finds.jpg
    Group Finds.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 389
Last edited:
Upvote 53

Brian C.

Bronze Member
Jan 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
Whites and Garrett. I use several machines, the ace 350 is a nice machine. I have a 5900, 6000, whites.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome finds.

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sweet finds.
It's amazing how something so old can still be so close to the top.

Congrats.

johnnyi

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2009
new jersey
Detector(s) used
minelab, white's xlt, deus xp, fisher aquanaut, white's twin box
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome! and hearty congratulations! The documented history of the "Long Live The President" varieties, has always seemed to me the most interesting of them all, but I'm partial for obvious reasons. Now to go figure out how to vote BANNER

el remolino

May 26, 2013
West Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some great finds and an even better story. Thanks for sharing.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are the kind of days you will never forget... and think back on many times and smile!

bootybandit

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2014
San Diego
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21,
Tecnetics Omega 8000,
T-Rex 9.5"
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome find! You got my vote

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, you guys! And @IronPatch, definitely!

You actually brought back a memory for me. It was quite a few years ago and we were trying a new field and as soon as we started getting a few signs there could be a site, my friend dug an early military button I would have liked to get over. I said now I have to find one, and maybe 20 minutes later I did. I've made that same comment many times since... I have to find one of those... and it has never happened again.

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find, very nice thread, it doesn't get much better then this! Got my vote.

70monte68

Aug 8, 2010
PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T2 SE
TEKNETICS T2 SE (back up)
MINELAB EXCALIBUR 2,
WHITES MX SPORT
Wow, they are beautiful! I have like 5 pounds of old buttons and not one of those, yet! lol enjoy the find

OP
OP
RelicHunter97

RelicHunter97

Sep 10, 2010
Western Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You actually brought back a memory for me. It was quite a few years ago and we were trying a new field and as soon as we started getting a few signs there could be a site, my friend dug an early military button I would have liked to get over. I said now I have to find one, and maybe 20 minutes later I did. I've made that same comment many times since... I have to find one of those... and it has never happened again.

Ha! Funny how that happens. I remember when Bob found his first one back in 2010, we had actually JUST been talking about finding an inaugural button on the car ride over. Strange things happen sometimes!

collector01

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2008
snow hill, MD
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the beautiful button! Great story! Did you find Bigfoot after that or did you use all your luck up on the button?

OP
OP
RelicHunter97

RelicHunter97

Sep 10, 2010
Western Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well we didn't get anything definitive, but we heard and recorded some very interesting howls! You hear lots of things out in the woods!

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ATpro5

Jan 4, 2013
SW Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster,At Pro,Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow those are neat ! I've never seen that style before! Banner!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread