[BANNER] DOUBLE WASHINGTON INAUGURAL DAY
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree108Likes

Thread: DOUBLE WASHINGTON INAUGURAL DAY

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Sep 2010
    Western Massachusetts
    White's MXT
    298 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)

DOUBLE WASHINGTON INAUGURAL DAY

First of all.....WOW!

OKAY back on track! So a while ago, perhaps a week ago, I noticed that a field that has been very productive for us in the past had been plowed up and rained on. This field has given up many great finds, for me personally I have found an 1805 large cent, an 1820 capped bust dime (in amazing condition), my War of 1812 Massachusetts Artillery button, and my Washington inaugural button. I know of many other great finds that have come from here, but I don't want to take up the post with those finds :P

Fast forward to yesterday, I received a call from my cousin Norma, asking me if I wanted to come over, and later that night join them to an excursion to the woods. (Norma is a sasquatch enthusiast so we like to go out and try to gather evidence of its existence. We usually do this around a campfire, listening for howls, etc.) Anyways, I said yes, and I arrived at Bob and Norma's house around 3:15. It did not take long for me to mention the field which was in prime condition, even more so since it was raining. Since it was still early, Bob and I decided to go check it out. We got there a little after four. I was borrowing his MPx metal detector that his daughter bought him as a spare. It didn't perform well though, iron was reading like pull tabs and half dollars, and it was unusable. So he called be over after a little while and offered to share his XLT with me, he would do a row down the field, when we reached the end, I would take over. So he finished his row, and then it was my turn. I got about thirty feet into the row when I got a strong signal reading between 22 and 30 on the VDI. Since I had the detector, he dug it and pinpointed it. We could see it in the dirt, a little button. He then picked it up and gave it to me. I took it and wiped the dirt off, and I could not believe what I saw. "Are you kidding me?" I whispered to myself. My jaw was dropped down low, and Bob was like "What? What is it?" I said "Long Live the President..." It took me a minute to recuperate and get back to reality, but I was absolutely elated. At the time, I felt bad, because if Bob hadn't invited me over to use his machine, then that button would have been his. But those feelings would not last. "Okay. Now you go and find one," I told him. Who knew he could be so obedient?

We were three rows down the field (it was his turn then mine and now it was his turn again), and about twenty feet away from where I found my button, Bob got a signal. He pinpointed it with his detector, and said "One inch deep." "Not even!" I replied, as it was right on the surface: a button, shank side up. He reached down to pick it up, but I stopped him, asked if I could take a picture first. He said of course, and made a joke about it being another GW button. I took the photo below, and then picked it up. When I removed the dirt from the face, I couldn't help but laugh in amazement. "Long live the president!" I said, to his disbelief. I had to assure him that I was not kidding, and we were just both in shock and awe. Two rare buttons, two guys, one detector, one field, one day. Nothing could top that. (Well, perhaps a tree coin :P)

Okay! Thank you all for reading! Happy Hunting!

-Anthony

EDIT: My other finds for the day were three buttons, a parasol piece, a thimble, some pottery, and some whatzits.
    Also, past auction sale prices for this particular button include $1,400 (in rough shape), $6,050 (in comparable condition), and $17,000 (very publicized auction, extremely fine condition). Though these are all from before 2006, so I do not know how the market has changed. I'm hoping I can get at least a few thousand for it! Cheers!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	My Button - Field.jpg 
Views:	367 
Size:	231.2 KB 
ID:	1053480   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bob's Button In Situ.jpg 
Views:	364 
Size:	228.6 KB 
ID:	1053481   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bob's Button in Hand.jpg 
Views:	415 
Size:	274.2 KB 
ID:	1053482   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	My GW Buttons.jpg 
Views:	425 
Size:	256.2 KB 
ID:	1053484   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GW Button Detail.jpg 
Views:	405 
Size:	357.4 KB 
ID:	1053485  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Group Finds.jpg 
Views:	357 
Size:	189.0 KB 
ID:	1053486  
    Last edited by RelicHunter97; Sep 17, 2014 at 07:34 AM. Reason: Added text

ca
    Jan 2011
    Whites and Garrett. I use several machines, the ace 350 is a nice machine. I have a 5900, 6000, whites.
    1071 times
    Relic Hunting
    Awesome finds.
    RelicHunter97 likes this.

us
    Bob

Jun 2014
    Granite, Maryland
    Teknetics Omega 8000 Teknetics Delta 4000, Deteknix XPointer, Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
    2281 times
    Metal Detecting
    Sweet finds.
    It's amazing how something so old can still be so close to the top.

Congrats.
    "'It Don't Mean a THING if You Ain't Got That Swing......"

us
    Jul 2009
    new jersey
    minelab, white's xlt, deus xp, fisher aquanaut, white's twin box
    138 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Awesome! and hearty congratulations! The documented history of the "Long Live The President" varieties, has always seemed to me the most interesting of them all, but I'm partial for obvious reasons. Now to go figure out how to vote BANNER
    johnnyi

us
    Sep 2010
    Western Massachusetts
    White's MXT
    298 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Top right corner of the post, "NOMINATE BANNER," red button. Thank you for your vote!

us
    May 2013
    West Texas
    Garrett AT PRO Whites MXT
    389 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Some great finds and an even better story. Thanks for sharing.

Those are the kind of days you will never forget... and think back on many times and smile!

us
    Mar 2009
    NY
    643 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    CONGRATS on one AWESOME DIG, my Banner vote is in

Charter Member
    us
    Surf-N-Turf

Aug 2014
    San Diego
    Fisher CZ-21, Tecnetics Omega 8000, T-Rex 9.5"
    496 times
    Metal Detecting
    Awesome find! You got my vote
    "A bad day of metal detecting, is better than a good day at work"

Can You Dig It

U.S. Navy (Retired) 1986-2009

us
    Sep 2010
    Western Massachusetts
    White's MXT
    298 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Thanks, you guys! And @IronPatch, definitely!

Quote Originally Posted by RelicHunter97 View Post
    Thanks, you guys! And @IronPatch, definitely!

You actually brought back a memory for me. It was quite a few years ago and we were trying a new field and as soon as we started getting a few signs there could be a site, my friend dug an early military button I would have liked to get over. I said now I have to find one, and maybe 20 minutes later I did. I've made that same comment many times since... I have to find one of those... and it has never happened again.

us
    Coin licker

Jun 2013
    New Jersey
    Minelab Excalibur II XP Deus Garrett pro pointer XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
    11184 times
    Great find, very nice thread, it doesn't get much better then this! Got my vote.
    I love this hobby so much, now I'm a coin licker!

us
    Aug 2010
    PA
    TEKNETICS T2 SE TEKNETICS T2 SE (back up) MINELAB EXCALIBUR 2, WHITES MX SPORT
    503 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Wow, they are beautiful! I have like 5 pounds of old buttons and not one of those, yet! lol enjoy the find
    Any relics, coins, or other items appearing in my finds signatures were found on PRIVATE PROPERTY with total consent and permission from the owners of said property.

us
    Sep 2010
    Western Massachusetts
    White's MXT
    298 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Patch View Post
    You actually brought back a memory for me. It was quite a few years ago and we were trying a new field and as soon as we started getting a few signs there could be a site, my friend dug an early military button I would have liked to get over. I said now I have to find one, and maybe 20 minutes later I did. I've made that same comment many times since... I have to find one of those... and it has never happened again.
    Ha! Funny how that happens. I remember when Bob found his first one back in 2010, we had actually JUST been talking about finding an inaugural button on the car ride over. Strange things happen sometimes!

Mar 2012
    941 times
    Nice digs.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links