Old (not just old to me) Shotgun caps and my first ring (silver to boot)

gberl001

Jun 17, 2014
Western NY
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Minelab E-Trac (w/ Garrett Pro Pointer)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wasn't even going to keep these shotgun caps until my detecting partner said, those must be old since they appear to have had a paper casing. I hadn't even thought of that as I've always seen plastic but I'm just a young guy. I'm into the history and story behind my finds so I kept 'em. Turns out, they produced between 1885-1891 according to this site. Crazy because I always seem to find rare old casings in my town. I found a 30-03 (from 1905) in my backyard. See that here
IMG_0721[1].JPG
I found two 10 gauge and three 12 gauge caps, they all came up as penny readings on my E-Trac. Surprisingly, my buddy never found any, not sure if he was smart enough to know they weren't pennies with his AT Pro or if I just coincidentally found them all. They were scattered all over an old park, no two in the same spot.

And, of course, here is my first ring and my first silver ring at that. Pretty nice looking, although it appears to be about a size 11 as it fits my ring finger.
_MG_1793-1.jpg _MG_1795-2.jpg _MG_1796-3.jpg _MG_1797-4.jpg _MG_1801-5.jpg

Lastly, sorry the pics may not be all that great, I hadn't originally planned on posting these until I did some research on the caps.

<Edit>Replaced Ring image with detailed images</Edit>

Attachments

• IMG_0713[1].JPG
    IMG_0713[1].JPG
    600.8 KB · Views: 165
Last edited:
Upvote 7

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on your first ring! :occasion14:

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
she's a beaut! congrats on both your 1st ring and silver!

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on that very ornate looking silver ring! More pictures of it would be nice if you get the chance =) The only shotgun shells I collect are the very rare full length brass and have only found 2 or 3 of them at the most, believe that folks reloaded them.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really enjoy finding OLD bullets and casings. I recebtly found one made in the 50's and my tumbler gets a work out on the brass. The ring is very nice workmanship, and fit a very healthy woman. Have been able to date the ring yet? What jewel marks did it have.

david680

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2014
Salem, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Paper shotgun shells are not exactly a thing of the past, so it alone is not indicative of age. Some trap shooters still prefer paper. Love the ring.

OP
OP
gberl001

gberl001

Jun 17, 2014
Western NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have been able to date the ring yet? What jewel marks did it have.

No idea on the date, it was pretty shallow three, maybe four inches down in an area of the park that likely doesn't see much trampling. The only markings were the standard .925 and, until you asked, I really wasn't concerned with the other marking of NV10 as I read it meant it was a size ten and that the silver came from Nevada silver. However, now after doing some more quick searches it appears that the NV typically shows after .925 rather than with the size. So, now I'm wondering if it means what the other results were saying which is that it is an Australian size. To top it off, some results are saying that Nevada silver isn't silver but rather an alloy of metals, I'm questioning the validity of this since I would like to believe that you can't print .925 on something if it isn't (maybe unless you note the NV, so maybe it's true).

<Edit> Oh, and it appears that the jewel in the center is an October birthstone... IMO </Edit>

Anyway, looks like I need someone who knows jewelry to chime in here.

Last edited:
OP
OP
gberl001

gberl001

Jun 17, 2014
Western NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on that very ornate looking silver ring! More pictures of it would be nice if you get the chance =)
Sorry C&RMan, I didn't see your request for more photos 'till just now. I will try to remember to take some tonight.

OP
OP
gberl001

gberl001

Jun 17, 2014
Western NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
@CoinandRelicMan The photos have been updated in the original post.

Darrow

Jul 22, 2014
Sherman, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTAx 550, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice silver ring!

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey