First Gold...well almost

FLATENPA

Jun 24, 2014
Western Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II, AT Pro, CTX 3030, Sovereign Elite, Go Find 60
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Was out on the beach Midday Saturday and it was high Tide coming in so I thought I would scout the beach a bit see where people frolic and such Made a few notes. I noticed that people tend to follow the stairs out to the water straight out. So I played in the dry sand nothing much this beach is clean, I mean really picked clean, it has easy off beach parking, showers and all the facilities. A few fresh dropped coins but other than that nothing except a few crown caps..

So I left and drove home took a nap, got up and headed out again and arrived an hour before low tide...used my mental notes and walked out to the first sandbar (where a lot of frolic was going on)and start a straight line search parallel to the beach, three or four step and "Bing" nice solid target in about knee deep water three divits later I am the proud owner of a 1998 us dime.. after replacing the divits I moved on doe the next hour zero targets, except for the nulled targets there where three. I was walking back to the beach, and hit the shore line a small trough. I start working the bottom side and a solid target i wiggle still sounds clear and good. Stick the scoop in and get a the first chunk of sand and stuff moved check the hole and still a tone..second scoop I look down and I see just a hind of that beautiful gold color metal, I just knew it was my first gold ring..
Turned out to he a golden pull tab... what evil person makes pull tabs sound like gold then makes them the same color too..that just wrong.

So I am still waiting for my first gold ring.. I can't seem to out smart my phone to find where "it" hid the find picture..or it too would be posted...

Going out again on Friday...dog gone job expects me to work the rest of the week...don't they realize I have more fun things to do and learn..:headbang:

Upvote 4

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those gold tabs have got me more than once...I hate em...bad enough that they sound like gold but being gold colored is cruel. :BangHead:

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
it will come, sometimes sooner than we think, sometimes a lot later but keep at it and the odds go up

OP
OP
F

FLATENPA

Jun 24, 2014
Western Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II, AT Pro, CTX 3030, Sovereign Elite, Go Find 60
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So close...

So I got out about an hour and half before low tide.... Kind of excited as I just got my new Plugger over-under Carbon Fiber travel rod, it took a little bit of time to get everything set including the Detecting Buddy. First let me say the carbon fiber is the way to go, and I am un-short at 6'4 so Bill did a custom length for me. This was a wet sand day, I planned on walking down to the boardwalk area then getting in the water. On the way my first target "Ring" (stainless steel) but a ring, so I was feeling really good. Next target was a penny in about knee deep water, three scoops and Mr Lincoln jumped into my finds pouch. So I start to search the area near and then another target and then (see the photo) broken handle.jpg in thigh deep water, I tried to get that target but the waves where just a bit too much.

I wonder what the tourist where thinking seeing me on my hands and knees using the basket like a hand scoop with the waves going over my head. :dontknow:

So the handle broke after about the 8th or 9th time out. Any suggestions on Handles I got that one from Lowes... Thinking of trimming it down and re-reinserting. If you look at the basket you can see where I add a stainless piece of channel to keep the basket from folding...

So going to try for the gold again next Saturday... and yes I had a spare scoop only I left it home as this one was like new, won't happen again while local. It's good to be redundant. It's good to be redundant.

johnnyi

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2009
new jersey
Detector(s) used
minelab, white's xlt, deus xp, fisher aquanaut, white's twin box
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
"what evil person makes pull tabs sound like gold then makes them the same color too..that just wrong."

answer: The same person who decided to make the 1980's French 10 centime yellow. By the way, prepare yourself for the day you dig some chocolate money. That's always a hoot.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread