Darby

Mar 31, 2013
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Stopped by our new site yesterday afternoon for a quick hunt and man am I glad I did! Hit the plowed area first and didn't find anything so I moved into the thicker grass area where it's harder to get the coil down but hadn't been worked as hard. Found two flat buttons and then got a good high signal and thought maybe it might be my turn to find a coin. Disappointed to see it was just a piece of copper plate, I thought. Then I saw it had numbers on it. Still didn't realize what it was until my buddy handed it back to me and at a glance I see "servant"! Taking a closer look it hits me....I just found a slave tag!! It's bent but you can see Charleston at the top with a number, servant under that and below servant the date 1855 (855 is visible, cant see the 1). I'm so thankful and feel really blessed to dig this piece of history. Super excited too. Couldn't wait to get to the

ForumRunner_20140916_092803.png

ForumRunner_20140916_092820.png

ForumRunner_20140916_092836.png

ForumRunner_20140916_092853.png

office this morning to post. Thanks for looking!

Upvote 67

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Darby

Darby

Mar 31, 2013
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratulations on the Rare find..

Did I miss it ?

How Far From Charleston did you find the tag?

I was also going to ask , what is the furthest 'Documented' slave tag found from Charleston?

Thanks Davers! We're about 50 miles from Charleston...wasn't expecting to find one here!

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a Rare find,congratulations!

-=METAL=-

Sep 13, 2013
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's cool right there

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I am still in awe over this find. Such a pivotal and sad time historically but we should be all proud as Americans,black or white how far we have come.

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a fantastic find, congrats!! It's so much of a "bigger" find than a silver coin, or gold ring. THAT tag is important.

OP
OP
Darby

Darby

Mar 31, 2013
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I am still in awe over this find. Such a pivotal and sad time historically but we should be all proud as Americans,black or white how far we have come.

Thanks CoilyGirl. I m still in awe over your CSA buckle as well! Being from South Carolina I've always wanted to find a CSA relic...maybe one day! Thanks again

DiggityDiggity

Sep 25, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro, Garrett 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So Darby, have you been back to the site?? I would be digging that site until my arms fall off or I die of dehydration, whichever comes first

OP
OP
Darby

Darby

Mar 31, 2013
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
So Darby, have you been back to the site?? I would be digging that site until my arms fall off or I die of dehydration, whichever comes first

Yes. Went yesterday for about an hour. Found another two piece eagle button, couple of flat buttons and an odd piece I'm going to post on whatisit. We've hit this site hard however it continues to give up some nice finds! I'll prob

OP
OP
Darby

Darby

Mar 31, 2013
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sorry...fat fingers typing on tablet, hit send by mistake. Was saying I'll probably hit it again today. What's nice is it's only few miles from my house! Thanks

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratulations on your 1855 Charleston Slave Tag find and on making the BANNER! :occasion14:
I hope you decide to get this piece restored, it definitely deserves it!

Dave

OP
OP
Darby

Darby

Mar 31, 2013
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratulations on your 1855 Charleston Slave Tag find and on making the BANNER! :occasion14:
I hope you decide to get this piece restored, it definitely deserves it!

Dave

Thanks Dave. I had someone send me some info on someone who does restoration. Would like to find someone local but haven't had time to research. Thanks again!

Chitlin

Dec 7, 2007
South Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find....

I was going to cry a little and wonder why my 1863 Porter tag didn't get much love, less yet Banner. A Tag and a CW artifact all in one... meh!

Went to search to provide the link and the whole post is gone? :icon_scratch: :dontknow:

Weird

O well, congrats to you on the find and the Banner.

Chitlin

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread