Darby

Mar 31, 2013
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Stopped by our new site yesterday afternoon for a quick hunt and man am I glad I did! Hit the plowed area first and didn't find anything so I moved into the thicker grass area where it's harder to get the coil down but hadn't been worked as hard. Found two flat buttons and then got a good high signal and thought maybe it might be my turn to find a coin. Disappointed to see it was just a piece of copper plate, I thought. Then I saw it had numbers on it. Still didn't realize what it was until my buddy handed it back to me and at a glance I see "servant"! Taking a closer look it hits me....I just found a slave tag!! It's bent but you can see Charleston at the top with a number, servant under that and below servant the date 1855 (855 is visible, cant see the 1). I'm so thankful and feel really blessed to dig this piece of history. Super excited too. Couldn't wait to get to the

ForumRunner_20140916_092803.png

ForumRunner_20140916_092820.png

ForumRunner_20140916_092836.png

ForumRunner_20140916_092853.png

office this morning to post. Thanks for looking!

Upvote 67

screwynewy

May 10, 2011
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice find....

I was going to cry a little and wonder why my 1863 Porter tag didn't get much love, less yet Banner. A Tag and a CW artifact all in one... meh!

Went to search to provide the link and the whole post is gone? :icon_scratch: :dontknow:

Weird

O well, congrats to you on the find and the Banner.

Chitlin

I recall you posting this - and it was an awesome find. You left out the key word from your title "Slave" Porter Tag. I think you missed a bunch of views because of this. Any genuine slave tag is absolutely banner worthy. BTW, here is your post..........

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/today-s-finds/364263-porter-tag.html

Yard Digger

Dec 20, 2009
Manila, Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101 with Bounty Hunter Headphones and TX-2002 Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just wow. What a great find. I wonder if you could look up the owner of the tag by the number? Hit that tall grass hard.

(There's a part of me that feels weird about being so excited over this. Such a historical piece but what a horrible life for the holder of the tag. It's like getting excited over finding a wedding band in Treblinka. Believe me, I'm not trying to bring ethics into such an awesome find. Just interesting how actually seeing a piece like this can bring out emotion.)
We can be thankful that it is history and not part of our presence. At least in most of the world. I have the same sentiments about this KKK knife I dug. http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/today-s-finds/380732-kkk-knife.html A friend offered to buy it from me, but knowing that the guy is, or has been a KKK member; I refused to sell to him. I might give it to a worthy museum, but I'm not interested in making money off of an object that is a symbol of torment, or giving it over to someone that might use it in that way.

DiggityDiggity

Sep 25, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro, Garrett 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We can be thankful that it is history and not part of our presence. At least in most of the world. I have the same sentiments about this KKK knife I dug. http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/today-s-finds/380732-kkk-knife.html A friend offered to buy it from me, but knowing that the guy is, or has been a KKK member; I refused to sell to him. I might give it to a worthy museum, but I'm not interested in making money off of an object that is a symbol of torment, or giving it over to someone that might use it in that way.

You're a good man, Mr. Digger! I just looked at your knife. Made me laugh at the hypocrisy in a KKK branded blade being manufactured in Japan :laughing7: A museum would be a great place to donate it! We can all learn a lesson from the dark side of history.

For me, every relic or coin I dig up I always envision myself as the person that dropped the item. When did they drop it? Who were they? What were they doing on the day they dropped it? What stories could they tell? That mindset makes a find like this slave tag so much deeper than a standard/typical find.

ghp95134

Sep 29, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...I just found a slave tag!! It's bent

Hi! Brand-spankin' new member here. I just read of your exciting discovery and decided to to a bit of digging myself -- on Google.

I found this very informative data on an auction site selling 22 badges. In one description we read:

This badge like many of the badges was purposely folded on itself. The badges were meant to be destroyed for most years. This was to assure that it would not be used by another slave.

Just in case the site evaporates (I think it is from the Firearms - Fall 2008 catalogue), I'll paste the catalogue description in full:
LARGEST MOST COMPLETE COLLECTION OF GENUINE CHARLESTON SLAVE HIRE BADGES EVER OFFERED. You are bidding on 22 badges from the collection of co-author of “Slave Badges and the Slave-Hire System in Charleston, South Carolina, 1783-1865″, Dr. Harry Hutchins, Jr. Dr. Hutchins describes these badges as follows: This collection starts with the first year 1800 and ends with the last year 1865. The Civil War was over February 17, 1865. The 1865 badge in this collection is one of less than 100 badges that were issued this year. This unique badge has been documented in Slave Badges and the Slave-Hire System in Charleston, South Carolina, 1783-1865 by Green, Hutchins & Hutchins (pictured on plate H and story page 166-167). In addition all eight badge makers are represented in this collection. All shapes of badges are also included with the very unusual shape of the 1811 Badge by John J. Lafar, silversmith and City Marshall. All badges are genuine and guaranteed authentic by the owner. All Charleston Slave Hire Badges in this collection were excavated after obtaining permission from the property owners. This is the most inclusive collection auctioned to date. This unique collection will be hard to duplicate. Don’t pass up the opportunity of bidding on this extraordinary collection. 1800 Charleston Slave Hire Badge. Mechanic No 1?9 Size: 39.5 mmx 39.5 mm. This badge like many of the badges was purposely folded on itself. The badges were meant to be destroyed for most years. This was to assure that it would not be used by another slave. If this was done the original wearer could be in trouble with the authorities. Condition: This badge was professionally restored by unfolding the bend and applying the patina. No. 1 can be seen, the middle number was over the fold and can not be discerned last number appears to be 9. The occupation MECH- – IC are clear. 1800 is seen at the bottom. On the reserve T and R of ATMAR can be read. This small stop sign shape is the classic size for all ATMAR badges from this silversmith maker of only one year. 1801 Charleston Slave Hire Badge. SERVANT No 488. Size: 49 mm circle. Great round badge from Charles Prince, tinman and city lamp lighter who made badges from 1801-1809. Condition: The C. PRINCE mark on the back is complete. The front of the badge all letters and date are complete except for the top part of the V in SERVANT. What makes this badge extra special is that the hole in the center was most likely made by the wearer along with the notch below the date. This was used as a tag with a string to make it whirl. The badge had a dual purpose for possibly many years. 1805 Charleston Slave Hire Badge PORTER No 163. Size: 61 x 55.5mm Here is the elongated stop-sign shape example which was the other shape Charles Prince alternated over the years he made badges, 1801-1909. Condition: The C.PRINCE stamp on the back is clear but without the E. The ground action has made the CHARLESTON not discernable. PORTER and No. along with the date 1805 can be seen. 1811 Charleston Slave Hire Badge. SERVANT No 374. Size: 51.5mm x 50mm The only year of John J. Lafar that had the four scalloped sides. Condition: A very unique badge with all parts on the obverse clearly defined. The part of badge just above the hole is bent back. This could have very likely been caused by someone pulling on the badge that was probably suspended by a leather strap. On the reverse a smaller size punched LAFA can be identified in the center of the badge. 1812 Charleston Slave Hire Badge PORTER No 395. Size: 63.5mm x 62mm. This was the first year of the diamond shaped badge which later became the dominant shape. Condition: All lettering and engraved numbers clearly seen. The reverse has a full LAFAR stamp. An excellent example from the silversmith whose won the contract for making badges for 24 years. Twelve of those years (1818-1829) he was also elected the City Marshall (top Sheriff) of Charleston. The badgemaker turned out to be the enforcer of the slave badge system for the city. 1816 Charleston Slave Hire Badge SERVANT No 361. Size 50mm x 49mm. This was one of the square shaped badges that Lafar alternated years to make it easier to identify the proper badge for that year. Condition: This 1816 was one of the few badges found in an old fire pit on a plantation. You can see where the fire burnt part of the badge and the right side. Even with this unique effect all letters except the N in Charleston can be seen clearly. The reverse has a solid and clear LAFAR makers mark. 1823 Charleston Slave Hire Badge SERVANT No 1897. Size 68.5mm x 65.5mm. This was the first year after the Denmark Vessey slave insurrection in Charleston. Condition: John T. Lafar was still the City Marshall and for the first time the badgemaker stamped his maker’s mark on the front. He also for the first time used the JJ LAFAR instead of the LAFAR. Also note the large SERVANT stamp as compared to the smaller SERVANT in the 1825. All letters and numbers clearly seen. 1825 Charleston Slave Hire Badge SERVANT no 427. Size: 67mm x 66mm. The last of the three years front maker’s mark stamp. Here as in 1824 badges used LAFAR as the stamp. The smaller SERVANT may have been tooled to make it easier to place all five identifiers on the front of the badge. Condition: Many badges are found flat when dug. This could be how they were made or the weight of the earth flattened them over the years. This specimen was found as is with a concave shape. 1827 Charleston Slave Hire Badge MECHANIC No 253. Size: 71mm x 68mm. This was the last diamond shaped LAFAR stamped on the reverse. This makers last square stamped badge was 1828. His last badge was the diamond shaped 1834 but had no maker’s mark. Condition: All letters and numbers are clearly seen. The punch of the “5” in 253 was heavy and made a hole at the time of issue. This is commonly seen in many badges when the copper sheets were not too thick. The reverse shows at the bottom LAFAR. 1832 Charleston Slave Hire Badge FISHER No 80. Size: 60mm x 52mm. This badge has the very rare FISHER occupation. Condition: This badge was found by Jeff Pitts. He verified that this badge was found as is without modification by him. This means that the slave who owned the badge shortened all sides to make this badge smaller. The front of the badge shows all letters and numbers. There is no maker’s mark from 1829 on. This was the first year that John Mood, silversmith, won the contract for badges. He would repeat this three more years (1835, 1841 and 1844). 1837 Charleston Slave Hire Badge SERVANT No 97. Size: 61mm x 58mm. Condition: Another example of a badge found on a plantation outside Charleston. The green patina is indicative of many badges that are found outside the city. The dirt has to do with the color the copper turns over the years. The least wear is seen on badges that were lost on plantations or in sandy soil in the city. This badge was found bent in half and was opened by the owner of the collection. Before pictures are included for documentation. Note the double stamp #9 in #97. All letters and the date very clearly stamped. William M. Rouse, silversmith was the maker. 1845 . Charleston Slave Hire Badge SERVANT No 638. Size 60mm x 58.5mm. William Rouse also the maker of this badge. Although the size of the badge increasingly became smaller, this year was similar to the 1837 badge. Condition: Here again all letters except the “N” in Charleston can be seen as well as the date. It turns out that William Rouse over the years made in numbers the most badges of any of the badge makers. In addition, he also later made the City’s brass rectangular Dog Badges (1850-1860). 1848 Charleston Slave Hire Badge PORTER No 1201. Size: 55mm x 53.5mm. This year was unusual in the fact that the City of Charleston proper wanted to annex the area North of Boundary Street (presently Calhoun Street) known as the “Neck” The residents of the “Neck” were not to keen on this and had their own badge maker. This badge was made by William Rouse and had to be purchased by the owner of any Slave who worked for hire in the city proper (south of Boundary Street). Condition: All letters and numbers can be seen. There is a small hole below the R in PORTER of unknown origin. Note that the four corners were bent on itself which is common in many discarded badges after the year’s expiration date of January 31st. These folds have been straightened for display. 1848 Charleston Neck (C.N.) Slave Hire Badge No 21. Size 51.5 mm x 51mm. The badgemaker of this badge was David H. Deveaux, a graphic artist by trade and brother of the City of Charleston’s coroner. A very unique and rare badge in many aspects. The obvious difference is that all letters and numbers were individually hammered on to the metal. The hole was suspended from a corner so it hung like a diamond shape when worn. This badge was for a slave working North of Boundary Street in the “Neck” part of the city. It was possible that if the slave worked above and below Boundary Street this one year he/she would have in their possession two badges. Condition: This is a great badge and came out of the ground as is after washing gently with water only. 1850 Charleston Neck Slave Hire Badge SERVANT No 467, Size 53mm x 51.5mm. By this time the City and the Neck had come to an agreement that only one badge would be needed each year. The badge was made by one maker, William Rouse, and he issued it according to whether the owner of the slave resided north (Neck) or south of Boundary Street. This was the last of the two years (1849 & 1850) that have a NECK on the badge. Condition: The very rare badge was found by Jeff Pitts on lands north of Boundary Street. It has been unaltered in any way according to him. All letters and numbers are clearly seen. 1852 Charleston Slave Hire Badge SERVANT No 108. Size: 53mm x 52.5mm. This badge was found by a low country diver in the Cooper River upriver not far from the City of Charleston with plantations on both banks. Condition: The LE in Charleston and the SER are lightly struck and barely visible. This does not however detract from this chocolate brown badge. Here again, William Rouse won the contract for this year to make the badges. 1855: Charleston Slave Hire Badge MECHANIC No 186. Size: 51.5mm x 51.5mm. This year saw a new person win the contract to make badges. His name was William O’Connor, silversmith. This rare MECHANIC is typical of the less than quality workmanship that just about all 1855 badges possess. He didn’t even take the time to make an even diamond shape or clip the corners. Condition: All strikes are light but can be made out when examined. His punched individual numbers and the date of 1855 are usually the most discernible parts of his badges. Fortunately for collectors he only had the contract that one year. The mottled patina shows that it shared the ground with several different minerals/metals. 1857 Charleston Slave Hire Badge SERVANT No. 1457. Size: 52mm x 50.5 mm. Back to the clipped corners and the maker, William Rouse. Condition: This badge is the only one in this collection that actually came out of an old privy (outhouse). It also was the only one found sifting the dirt. Except for the “S” in SERVANT all letters and numbers are clearly present. Considering that lye was thrown in most privies to keep the smell down, this badge survived quite well. 1859 Charleston Slave Hire Badge FRUITERER No 74. Size 53mm x 52mm. This year the badge maker was William Veronee a tinman. He also did not bother to clip the corners of his badges this year which probably made wearing these, at times, uncomfortable. Condition: Except for the “C” in Charleston all letters and numbers can be seen clearly. This badge was originally found folded over itself several times. It was opened to its original shape for display for FRUITERER badge is one of the rarest occupations. The City ordinance stated that only woman over 30 years of age (and probably with a lot of children-so less prone to run away) were issued these badges. 1860 Charleston Slave Hire Badge SERVANT No 218. Size: 46mm x 45.5mmWillaim Rouse made more badges this year and the following year than any other before. This may be the reason that these two years (1860 & 1861) have the smallest size of any other years. He still took the time and pride to clip the corners and all letters and numbers are clearly seen. In December of 1860 Charleston hosted the Succession Convention. Just a few months later, in April, the Civil War began with shots to and from Ft. Sumter in the Charleston Harbor. 1862/1863 Charleston Slave Hire Badge SERVANT/SERVANT No 2180/477. Size: 53mm x 50mm. William Veronee again won the contract with his proposal to double and triple stamp badges to conserve the copper for war efforts. Condition: This double stamped badge was found with the top folded over itself that needed professional restoration. The before pictures are included. The final product is an attractive very rare double used badge. The last year used (1863) is clear. Many of the letters of the preceding year (1862) are altered by double stamp. William Veronee used this technique whenever possible from 1862 to 1865. 1864/1865 Charleston Slave Hire Badge SERVANT/SERVANT No 541/13. Size: 50mm x 46mm. It is estimated from the money collected for badges for 1865 that there was less than 100 total sold. By this time most of Charleston’s residents knew the end was near. General Sherman had taken Atlanta and Savannah and was marching towards South Carolina. This is the first time ever an 1865 badge has come to auction. Very rare and historically very special. The war was over for Charleston, February 17, 1865 less than seven weeks from the issue date. The slave who owned and placed the nail hole in the badge saw the end of slavery. The generations of his family probably saw this hammered to the spot he placed it that very fortuitous day. Condition: Charleston, the “VANT” of SERVANT, #13 and the full date 1865 are clearly seen. The reverse side shows 1864, CHARLESTON #541 and parts of SERVANT. In addition to exclusive collections of shapes, badge makers and five occupations is a signed copy of: “Slave Badges and the Slave-Hire System in Charleston, South Carolina, 1783-1865″. Two of the badges in this collection are shown in the color plates and their story told 1848 CN #21 PORTER and 1865 #13 SERVANT (double stamped). CONDITION: As seen in photographs, all badges are in excavated condition, having been cleaned and in some cases having bends and folds taken out as described in text above. 4-33428 JS35 (120,000-160,000)
Apologies for the length of my intitial (perhaps only?) post, but thought the concise history might be worthwhile to archive.

--ghp95134

Last edited:

andro

May 4, 2014
SAUDI
Detector(s) used
SONDA MD5008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
10339622_699916833431217_9003708739198677618_n.jpg
who want to treasure this sign pm me

andro

May 4, 2014
SAUDI
Detector(s) used
SONDA MD5008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sir what do you mean that sign?

andro

May 4, 2014
SAUDI
Detector(s) used
SONDA MD5008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sir what do you mean that sign?

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That tag is so bigtime cool! I've always wanted to find one of those.

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OUTSTANDING FIND!!! These are scarce as hens teeth! CONGRATULATIONS on finding it and for making the banner!

:)
Breezie

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread