Gaspipe

Bronze Member
Sep 6, 2013
New England
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro; F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HI all its been about a year since I took up this hobby and I have had a decent year . Why haven't I posted much then you ask.. well basically I'am lazy. So had a great hunt recently with an interesting story so here goes. Last month I was driving on a gravel road in a nearby town and while glancing at my old map noticed that there were four houses standing at the time. Upon driving I saw two were still standing and three were on one side of the road and one by itself on the side of the road without any existing houses. So I measured the distance to where the hole should be and parked my car. I walked into the woods and almost fell into the cellar. Started swinging and with a half hour had a cuff button and a shield nickel, but being near the road the area had a lot of trash. So I look up and through the trees I see state police car pulled up along side a car and he appears to be talking to the driver. I figure best to head out and as I am loading up my car he backs up along side me!! This cant be good. So he asks what I am doing and I explain that I'am metal detecting the old cellar hole. So now I'am ready to hear the worst and he says " well did you find any juice"!I must have looked dumbfounded because he giggled and told me someone saw my truck and called on me. There have been a lot of break-ins and they were being careful. The car still parked down the road was the property owner and she was concerned about me as well. So I told the officer I was going to talk to the owner and apologize and he said he would come with me.
So I speak to this lady and apologize and said I would have not gone into the woods had there been any signs. She was fine and told me I could metal detect any time. Next she tells me that when her dad was alive he used the stones from an old cellar to repair the stone wall out in front of their 1780 farm house . She points me down the road and told me it was located in a small mowed area. So this is the location of the fourth house on my map! So yesterday I park my car and hunt this mowed area right off the road and its no more than 30 yards square. I quickly get a hit and dig up a 14k gold ring followed by four large cents and a great big flat button! Carefully gridded the area and found a tiny cuff button. All in all a great day and I still may go back and hit the hay fields all around the women's 1780's house. Hope I wasn't too boring???

Attachments

• photo (1).JPG
    photo (1).JPG
    92.6 KB · Views: 140
  • photo (2).JPG
    photo (2).JPG
    89.7 KB · Views: 133
  • photo (3).JPG
    photo (3).JPG
    93.6 KB · Views: 129
  • photo (4).JPG
    photo (4).JPG
    109.3 KB · Views: 132
  • photo (5).JPG
    photo (5).JPG
    43.1 KB · Views: 147
  • photo (10).JPG
    photo (10).JPG
    26.4 KB · Views: 129
  • photo (6).JPG
    photo (6).JPG
    33.4 KB · Views: 137
  • photo (7).JPG
    photo (7).JPG
    38.1 KB · Views: 145
  • photo (8).JPG
    photo (8).JPG
    41.1 KB · Views: 132
  • photo (9).JPG
    photo (9).JPG
    33.6 KB · Views: 128
  • photo (12).JPG
    photo (12).JPG
    70.7 KB · Views: 118
Upvote 16

The Rebel

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2011
Southwest, CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Spectra V3i with wireless headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome Digs!

As a token of good faith you might want to give that gold ring to her as it might have belonged to her family. If it does in fact belong to them the sentimental value will pay off for you big time on new sites that she might get for you for being so nice. You could also keep an eye out on the neighborhood as well.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
the Rebel speaks wisdom... great post and finds, good luck on the rest of it

Darrow

Jul 22, 2014
Sherman, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTAx 550, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am lazy too, but when there's a good story to tell...it is worth the effort. HH

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
great story! And great finds! Just goes to show it's always a plus to ask the landowner where the old sites were.

whammy

Oct 23, 2012
Conquest New York
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision, DFX, Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome story and finds. Good karma sure to follow after making peace with the owner.

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice area to hunt in there, nice finds too ! Still waiting for fields to clear out so we can find older to us items !

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Boring? Not at all. Congrats on a very nice hunt and great finds.

OP
OP
G

Gaspipe

Bronze Member
Sep 6, 2013
New England
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro; F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Boring? Not at all. Congrats on a very nice hunt and great finds.

Thanks never know how good a storyteller I am. I know I like to hear hunt details; glad you do also.

RJ55

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2014
western NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
fantastic finds! at least she was nice. any more around here they'd tell someone they'll shoot 'em if they come back

el remolino

May 26, 2013
West Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a great story, and congratulations to you. Nice job.

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great story and some killer finds. Always get that permission first and we will all be viewed in a better light. Hope to see some more finds from the property.

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good story, great finds, it's always harder finding the owner to fields and woods. At least here in South Jersey, especially agriculture fields. After you find the owner and you hear, "yeah you can hunt it, but you have to ask permission from the farmer because I lease it to them" Now you already made two trips to find the owner home, now you have to make how many trips to track down the farmer? I'm continually working on permissions, been at it for awhile, now I'm getting help from the owners/farmers with owners/farmers friends of theirs. Funny though, I do all that work, finally get to the old site where there used to be a house to find a bunch of holes with trash laying next to them!
Nobody said it was going to be easy, ha lol.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great story great finds. That situation could have ended badly. I guess the trooper is a fan of "Diggers".

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good story, great finds, it's always harder finding the owner to fields and woods. At least here in South Jersey, especially agriculture fields. After you find the owner and you hear, "yeah you can hunt it, but you have to ask permission from the farmer because I lease it to them" Now you already made two trips to find the owner home, now you have to make how many trips to track down the farmer? I'm continually working on permissions, been at it for awhile, now I'm getting help from the owners/farmers with owners/farmers friends of theirs. Funny though, I do all that work, finally get to the old site where there used to be a house to find a bunch of holes with trash laying next to them!
Nobody said it was going to be easy, ha lol.

Isn't that the truth? There's a nice old property about 15 minutes away that I am sure I have tried at least 6 times to catch someone home. I finally saw 2 vehicles there last Friday. Pulled in and a fellow comes up. I give him the the pitch and he thinks a second.....says yeah, you can hunt here. I just ask that you do it through the week so we don't interfere with each other. It turns out he and his wife come on the weekends to take care of the property. I ask him for a note saying I have permission in case a neighbor asks what I am doing. He writes it and I leave. 15 minutes after I get home my phone rings. It's him telling me he has just spoken to his lawyer and he advised him NOT to allow me to hunt! What a letdown that was! I had spent 3 hours at least that day looking for a place to hunt, getting 6 or 7 no's, that many places with no one home and then that was the end of the day. Some days this hobby is very frustrating.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread