Eddie Current

May 17, 2011
Flooorida
Detector(s) used
CTX /AT Pro / Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
20140916_171603.jpg 20140916_165633.jpg

Went dry sand hunting at ST Pete Beach today with my ATPRO. I knew that the beaches have recently been replenished, which usually means that the targets would be few and far between. They were.

BUT, within 5 minutes a target hit with big sound and I dug a large bullet casing. I rescanned the hole and hit again and dug the actual projectile. This thing was huge. The casing measured at about 4 inches.

The casing showed the marks of SL 43, which, after researching, indicates that it was made in ST Louis in 1943 and is a 50 caliber, probably fired by a fighter plane using a Browning M2 machine gun, as the area was used as a practice range during the war.

I wonder what other type of stuff the dredges might put back on the beach???
Finding a 70 year WW2 artifact like this just made my day!:headbang:

Upvote 5

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found the exact same type of 50 cal bullet once and only once, stamped "S L 43" just as yours, in Little Neck Bay, Long Island N.Y. back in 2003. Still no idea how it could have got there other than it fell from a plane or a boat during the war time. I bet you are right, these must have been from training missions conducted in the area long ago. :thumbsup: Here is a picture of mine, only ever found one, they must be quite rare finds for our areas:
DSC03710.JPG DSC03712.JPG

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool find, I found one in someones yard here in town.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I found one in a school yard here in Ark, possibility for some of them is that there's a lot of national guard people everywhere and there are people who actually own guns that shoot them

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found one in a school yard here in Ark,..............

These things, in the eyes of a 5th grader, are cooler than shooter marbles. Well, maybe 40 years ago ...........

OP
OP
Eddie Current

Eddie Current

May 17, 2011
Flooorida
Detector(s) used
CTX /AT Pro / Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes, it is probably that 5th grader still left in this 65 year old body that likes this type of stuff!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread