Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
UPDATED PICS:

This little piece was found in my last hunt. It didn't make my regular post because it was still
in the trash pouch. I'd forgotten about this strange little piece that sang out sweetly at between 78-80. When
I looked at it, I just figured some sort of melted lead or aluminum and scheduled it for trashing.

But, when I looked a little closer at home, I'm sure I see some sort of design on this thing. (Might just be my eyes. :) )

It seems like a solid piece rather than a melted blob. It sort of has a heart shape. Maybe part of a ring? Not magnetic. The metal
looks more silvery than it does in the pics.

The thing is so small and I am just not equipped to make really sharp close ups. (also, I am pooped!! :tongue3: )

Here's a smattering of the best pics I could do:

2014 (716).jpg 2014 (718).jpg 2014 (717).jpg 2014 (719).jpg 2014 (720).jpg 2014 (721).jpg 2014 (722).jpg 2014 (723).jpg

The 5th and 6th pics are the back. Not much there.

I have only done a preliminary cleaning, water and a light brushing. I haven't tested for the metal yet as I didn't want
to put acids on it until I have a better idea with what I am dealing.

If anyone recognizes the pattern or wants to see better pics, I'll try to clean it a bit further.

Thanks ahead of time for any help.

Last edited:
Upvote 6

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck on the ID.

swolfe

Jul 8, 2012
Rockford Illinois
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Beep and Dig Harbor Freight 9 function detector.
Whites Coinmaster DB/4
Whites Coinmaster Pro
Tesoro Vaquero
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
weird... let us know what it is!!!

Mr.T

Sep 10, 2010
France
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi there,

I can't be certain, but you may have a concretion.
I hunt for them solely, using only the top four bars on the ace 250, when in in the wet sand.

This came out of what looked like a rusty foot long bar with a circle at the ended.
ie it was three times longer than the object inside. It's a penannular brooch pin!

DSC00613.JPG

Here is what the ones I find look like
DSC00643.JPG
and here is the same piece after a few gentle taps of a hammer

DSC00644.JPG
I left the rest of the stuff on the coin to show people
DSC00646.JPG
Obviously I cant tell from a photo, but theres a good chance of yours being the same.
I just put them on a hard surface and tap away gently.
They are like kinders surprises for adults. I love finding them because the items inside can be so delicate.
Seventy per cent have been badges or brooches, which tells me this occurs when two different metals are touching

Good luck

Rory

firemac

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Irving Texas and the beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Garrett pro pointer Minelab Etrac & excal ll
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
first quick glance and I thought of the Palmetto state, in the 1st 2nd 5th and 6th image

g-olden years

Silver Member
Nov 10, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Be sure to show us this mystery item as it emerges! :icon_thumright: I like Mr T.'s concretion theory as it may be correct! I've found a few concretions at the shore line here in CA. My fave concretion is "worthless" but one of my fave finds ever! Mine is a modern cent which in the ocean first became totally encased in tight concretion of tiny pebbles & sand; then over time the waves bounced it around on sand enough that the center of the concretion eroded off in a way that it left the coin showing both back & front, yet still encased by a round "frame" of concretion. This was an eyeball find right at shoreline and it was the gleam of copper that caught my eye! :laughing7: Fun stuff to find! :laughing7: Andi

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Mmm, this is most interesting. Is the entire piece metal or is it stone on the outside with something metal on the inside? When completely dry, put some baby powder (flour works too) on the pattern, then with your slightly damp finger, go across the top raised areas. This should help to define the pattern.

I'm looking forward to seeing 'Ms. Thang' after powder puffing. :)
Breezie

niffler

Mar 19, 2008
Coos Bay, Oregon
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, DFX, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Killer B Hornets, Stealth 720i scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Reticulation from the surface being melted...I practiced this while being trained in metalworking (jeweler).

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Agree with Niffler.

Me too. I dug a few blobs of melted aluminum cans around an old campfire site way out in the woods that looked similar.

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, I know that my pictures are truly sucky when it comes to getting something this small and detailed. I've read what everyone has said but, in person, I just can't convince myself that there isn't an intentional design there. Does it mean it's old, worthy of all this wonderful study? In a word, no.

It's definitely a candidate for the "What Is It" forum and I will be attempting to post it there. BUT, not until I can figure a way to get better close up pics of what I'm trying to show. From what I've posted so far I can understand why it's being figured as just one more melted blob of nothing. AND, it still might just be only that, I know.

Still here's a couple more after I've done just about everything my equipment will allow me to capture, (and some it wouldn't :) ).

2014 (733).jpg
2014 (734).jpg

Pay particular attention to the circles. The line up the middle is alongside what looks to me like a stem or tree trunk.
The circle to the right shows what looks like to me as at least two petals of something. Looking like an infinity symbol running
north and south.

The circle to the left looks like it has raised letters.

I've attempted to determine the metal and I am pretty sure it is not aluminum.
But, it also doesn't appear to be silver, at least not sterling.
In person and under better lighting, it almost looks a silvery gray with what looks like
iron rust spots.
If I were to guess, I'd almost swear this was pewter.

I do appreciate everyone's help in identifying this little piece of whatever!

Like I said, if I can figure how to get better pics or more info, I'll post it to the What Is It forum and
advise what, if any, resolution.

Here's just a couple more pics, for what they're worth.

Thanks again!

2014 (724).jpg 2014 (725).jpg 2014 (726).jpg 2014 (727).jpg 2014 (728).jpg 2014 (729).jpg 2014 (730).jpg 2014 (731).jpg 2014 (732).jpg

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mmm, this is most interesting. Is the entire piece metal or is it stone on the outside with something metal on the inside? When completely dry, put some baby powder (flour works too) on the pattern, then with your slightly damp finger, go across the top raised areas. This should help to define the pattern.

I'm looking forward to seeing 'Ms. Thang' after powder puffing. :)
Breezie

Hi Breezie!

I tried the powder but this seems to show up better when it's a bit damp. :dontknow:

It might be something like the main part of a button or ring. It is solid, I'm guessing pewter but I don't
know how to determine pewter. :dontknow:

I'll probably be posting to What It Is if I can figure a good way to capture.

Thanks for your help!

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting! A mystery wrapped in an enigma! I like those kind of surprises! I keep all the strange little blobs of metal I so I can find out what they are!

Cleaned all my coins from the past couple of years. I dunked the Lincoln's in lemon juice and lo and behold! Found 5 wheats! They were so encrusted I couldn't tell what they were, no key dates.

Ya never know what ya got till you check it out!

Maybe you have a rare artifact!! You never know! Definitely looks like letters and a design!

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2010
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug DP, Fisher F19 LTD, Minelab Safari, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Pro Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger, Lesche Ground Shark Shovel, 9.5x5.5 NEL Sharpshooter Coil (Safari), 9.5x
Couldn't resist!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread